Martindale Ice

sooner

I fished the rec.today with Madam & Bassmaster12 and my cousin Bob joined us for a couple hours . Fishing was very slow .....got 4 rock bass , a dink perch and one with four legs . The ice varied from hole to hole , up to 4 " near the rowing club & only 1.5" about 200 meters south of us .....not safe .....broke my steel stud bar in half while checking the ice . Nice to see captnn out there , take care Nick ! Got a few shots.........

looking south from the ex.John Deer plant...

SAM_2310.JPG

Zoomed in , lots of ice anglers there....

SAM_2308.JPG

Mr .M. Puppy returning to his home.....

SAM_2313.JPG

John Deere took 13 years of my life! I think i deserve some good ice! Haha

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was out in back bay this morning fishing near the entry point. With last nights cold temps the shoreline has improved a great deal. Did see guys out near middle but did not attempt to go out there.

Was out in back bay this morning fishing near the entry point. With last nights cold temps the shoreline has improved a great deal. Did see guys out near middle but did not attempt to go out there.

What FOW were you in? I was there when there was better ice and all I marked was 5'

There are numerous locales with depths exceeding 12'

Yeah, I marked a couple spots at 13' off of Rennie park... Do you happen to know of any other deeper spots?

There is lots of 12' water in there, and it use to be a sweet jumbo hole, 10yrs ago a few of us fished it and would catch & release 15- 20 jumbo perch a day not counting the 7" - 9'" fish. Then the white bucketer's found out the spot and the perching has never been the same , not even close. I mean a 12" perch is a trophy now and before it was the norm, but like anything it was only a matter of time before the dirt moved in. The white bucket brigade dosn't understand its a limited fishery, it's not only a small fishery it's also some of the most contaminated water on the great lakes watershed. I understand how everyone wants to ice fish and eat perch but it is just a shame how this once vibrant fishery has turned into a crap hole. The same goes for the crappie fishery, the internet has truely screwed done in Martindale over the last few years

The crappie fishing is done in martindale? Funny I went last spring n caught well over a hundred, kept 3 for a meal. They taste like mud outa there compared to other places I get them though.ohh btw that was In maybe an hour so I think it's still good.

The crappie fishing is done in martindale? Funny I went last spring n caught well over a hundred, kept 3 for a meal. They taste like mud outa there compared to other places I get them though.ohh btw that was In maybe an hour so I think it's still good.

100 crappie in an hour? Better get a new watch.

There is lots of 12' water in there, and it use to be a sweet jumbo hole, 10yrs ago a few of us fished it and would catch & release 15- 20 jumbo perch a day not counting the 7" - 9'" fish. Then the white bucketer's found out the spot and the perching has never been the same , not even close. I mean a 12" perch is a trophy now and before it was the norm, but like anything it was only a matter of time before the dirt moved in. The white bucket brigade dosn't understand its a limited fishery, it's not only a small fishery it's also some of the most contaminated water on the great lakes watershed. I understand how everyone wants to ice fish and eat perch but it is just a shame how this once vibrant fishery has turned into a crap hole. The same goes for the crappie fishery, the internet has truely screwed done in Martindale over the last few years

Martindale for me is Strictly a fun only kind of place for me, I like to go there and practice technique and test out new lures/baits. C&R only..

I haven't found the crappie yet since I've only fished there for pike n bass, that's why I'm looking for different depths.

i have found athirty nine foot hole in my boat but im keeping tht spot for myself

Good for you. I know a spot like that as well but there definitely isn't safe ice there.

Martindale has a ton of depths mostly in the 9 to 12 foot range since they dredged it up years ago.

Its like most water bodies, find something the fish like and they will be there. I know a spot on lake O where I can slay bass all day long ... Lack a boat though.

For ice fishing most common areas are the back bay and around the grandstand. Perch are to be had as are the pike. No secret there.

Great rule of thumb for ice fishing Martindale ... You see Smerch ... Leave you won't get any since he has caught em all.

Haha snaggles ......smerch is having fresh perch for supper today and I left a few for you . The ice was a good solid 5" in the back bays but still varied where the currents affected the ice thickness . ......from 5" to open water at the bridge . I have seen up to14" of ice in colder winters there . Snow covered ice can be very decieving , keep a good distance away from any open water .

Haha snaggles ......smerch is having fresh perch for supper today and I left a few for you . The ice was a good solid 5" in the back bays but still varied where the currents affected the ice thickness . ......from 5" to open water at the bridge . I have seen up to14" of ice in colder winters there . Snow covered ice can be very decieving , keep a good distance away from any open water .

Any word on thickness at Rennie park? I was hoping to get out in the morning....

i have found athirty nine foot hole in my boat but im keeping tht spot for myself

The deepest hole is off the henley island bridge, marked over 30 feet there, dont try it ice fishing though, theres alot off current there. Im sure theres a few good fish in those depths but there are definitely better spots.

Archived