Martindale Ice

sooner

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was out at rennie this morning for a few hours. slowwwww bite. Caught 1 happy little perch, didnt keep it though. water was cloudy. poor vis. plenty of thick ice though (id say about 6-8"). I was fishing about 14' deep

Good bye ice , hello soft H2O ........I fished Rennie for 2 hrs. today , only myself out there.....tried 3 spots .....nothing biting . On the way home I went to the back bay & down the steep west bank to the ice ........NO GO !..... the shore ice is rotting & would not support my massive 150 lbs. One guy was fishing the middle area . It's time to put the ice gear to bed & get ready for the pike season . Trout time ! :Gonefishing:

would it be possible to get out of you've got a plank?i do know that theres a drainage culvert there causing unsafe condition with warm whether....would like to get out once more before end of season. :huh:

A few guys got out on the ice from there , maybe to the left or right of the culvert . The sun doesn't penetrate that shore line as much as the north & west sides so a plank may not be needed . It's going to freeze up tonight so you may be able to get the morning fish in , but I would be extra careful , you are pushing your luck . Take a spud to test the ice . ......8" of honeycomb , or soft white ice is no better than 2" of clear ice .

no way id chance it. id rather get out the spinning rod and find a decent shoreline to fish from. Went out today around Gibson for a while in the morning. Felt good to get that casting arm back into action! haha! i did see some people out on the Niagara Regional water resivoir by decew road on the way home. Good luck fellas! Looked frozen over ... but summmmmer is coming!!!

Your NUTZZZZZZZZZ telling people to use a plank to get to safe ice .IF YOU NEED A PLANK TO GET TO WHAT YOU "THINK" IS SAFE ICE STAY HOME. 5 8 or 9 inch perch is not worth risking your life or the guys saving you . Go fish the niagara rive there is lots of perch in the now and the chances of you dieing are way less.

Wrc

STAY OF THE ICE

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I saw them out there too. Seemed absolutely nuts to me. There doesn't seem to be much ice at all.

683d43dd-5094-4fb5-ad7e-041922e67c23_zps

Although I gave up ice fishing a good couple weeks ago, I'm sure they wouldnt be out there unless they knew they were safe. I've fished 12 inches of ice 10 feet from open water and was perfectly fine. Not encouraging other people to try it but if people want to do it and have the proper safety gear then giver!

Archived