February Fly Tying Contest

cdnfishguy11

Well.... I am giving you guys a few extra days and your gonna need it!

I have a feeling this months contest is going to heat up quickly with lots of entries!

This months theme is..... Baitfish!

Yup I think it's gonna be a close one!

Upload pics here :) Wet pictures or pictures in the water are even better!

Here's a little something to get started. A generic baitfish imitator that I'll name "Katherine" after my aunt who recently passed away.

A few grizzly hackle tips for a tail, a body of green floss ribbed with two strands of Krystal Flash, and a bit of red floss at the front. The wing is polar bear, with a topping of olive ostrich herl, the throat hackle is a single golden pheasant crest feather, the cheeks are "eyes" from guinea fowl.

Dry

734492_10151224835545264_1034487009_n.jp

Wet

481951_10151224838585264_288660693_n.jpg

Being faily new to tying, I now understand a bit more about the process due to the Wet photo...thank you and its a beautiful fly!

Hey Mick....Im new to it myself. Just wanted to give you a better idea on how you achieve the 360 degree colour. Here is a brief idea of the steps I use for the rabbit strips. I happen to have small 1/8 beads that fit over the jig hooks, but sometimes I also tye the bigger beads with nails. Also I have been experimenting with a metalic thread after I finish with the regular thread more for a nice reflective colour. This one I did red below the gold bead. Picked the thread up at dollar store. I use protak to finish. Just though this might give you a better idea.....rabbit is amazing in the water. Run it through your sink to check it out...

start_zpsba4d2427.jpg

tail_zps5077af00.jpg

startstrip_zpsbef8e00a.jpg

startwrap2_zps7d4821c9.jpg

startwrap3_zpsef2a6670.jpg

finished_zps3a71e37a.jpg

20130202_222359_zps7672fc0b.jpg

Finally wet.

Hey Mick....Im new to it myself. Just wanted to give you a better idea on how you achieve the 360 degree colour. Here is a brief idea of the steps I use for the rabbit strips. I happen to have small 1/8 beads that fit over the jig hooks, but sometimes I also tye the bigger beads with nails. Also I have been experimenting with a metalic thread after I finish with the regular thread more for a nice reflective colour. This one I did red below the gold bead. Picked the thread up at dollar store. I use protak to finish. Just though this might give you a better idea.....rabbit is amazing in the water. Run it through your sink to check it out...

start_zpsba4d2427.jpg

tail_zps5077af00.jpg

startstrip_zpsbef8e00a.jpg

startwrap2_zps7d4821c9.jpg

startwrap3_zpsef2a6670.jpg

finished_zps3a71e37a.jpg

mann, thats a pretty jig.. thats the exact kind of jig i look for when i go drifting the pool.. just pretty.. but this makes me want to get into trying myself..

Oh BTW......I did learn to tye from Cliff. I have not done anything complex yet. just simple maribou, streamers, rabbit strips, wooly buggers, and a few egg patterns. Cliff, Coachman, and Craiger are guys that have been around...lessons are good if you can get them, or join a group like the guys that meet up every second Thurs...I think his user name is sooner? I wanted to join, but I could not make the time..living so far away.

Oh BTW......I did learn to tye from Cliff. I have not done anything complex yet. just simple maribou, streamers, rabbit strips, wooly buggers, and a few egg patterns. Cliff, Coachman, and Craiger are guys that have been around...lessons are good if you can get them, or join a group like the guys that meet up every second Thurs...I think his user name is sooner? I wanted to join, but I could not make the time..living so far away.

well thats pretty good fro a beginner, clearly you had a good instructor, i wish iwas able to join classes a few days a month, but now that i moved up north in the soo i dont think thats possible, so il be looking to start tying and teaching myself through youtube:P

Here's another one for your consideration.

When Don Gapen created the Muddler Minnow back in 1937, he invented one of the most popular and versatile flies ever. I wonder if he knew that in the 21st Century people would still be tying his fly and others inspired by it. Another style of tying I've played around with is the Matuka, where two feathers are mated and their shafts are secured to the body of the fly to create a deeper profile.

With this experiment, I've combined the Matuka style with elements from the Muddler. I think it would work well as an imitation for a small perch or maybe even a goby (and we know bass are gobbling those little pests).

223512_10151252316650264_1005677895_n.jp

I tied this minnow pattern on a jig hook and weighted the shank under the mylar so I didn't need dumbbell eyes. This one already has a big steelie under a float on its first trip.

minnowfly_zps14bb79a8.jpg

Also, I modified a zonker pattern to imitate a young bass, I didn't want the bottom to be very silver as bass seem to have a white belly so I added white bucktail around the mylar which also filled out the profile of the baitfish . If you wanted to imitate a young largemouth bass you could just add one or two peacock herls to each side.

babybass_zps68db2066.jpg

Here's another. No flash: Just fur, feather and some floss to make a fuschia coloured Zonker. I've caught 3-4 pike on this or similar patterns, including the one in my profile pic (that fly was orange though). I'm linking a short video below the pic to show how it moves in the water.

536148_10151257147300264_1100374430_n.jp

http://s787.beta.photobucket.com/user/ron4blues/media/Video0000_zps9a39991f.mp4.html

I tied this minnow pattern on a jig hook and weighted the shank under the mylar so I didn't need dumbbell eyes. This one already has a big steelie under a float on its first trip.

minnowfly_zps14bb79a8.jpg

Also, I modified a zonker pattern to imitate a young bass, I didn't want the bottom to be very silver as bass seem to have a white belly so I added white bucktail around the mylar which also filled out the profile of the baitfish . If you wanted to imitate a young largemouth bass you could just add one or two peacock herls to each side.

babybass_zps68db2066.jpg

Nice ones, Bites. You've got the Zonker down pat.

wow this months competition is going to be a tough one....sorry to hear about the vice snake eyes. Accidents happen but when you involve your kids you've already won without entering. I tie with my 6 year old daughter and have been for a couple years now. I hope she sticks with it and if she does I plan on buying her a pink vice.

Archived