February Fly Tying Contest

cdnfishguy11

Hey Chef...talk to ( sooner ) there is a group that meets in St Catherines thurs nights, if they are still meeting? I find, that once you have the basics, that youtube has lots of videos on flys. The problem I find is that you need a million differant materials. I have found better to try and do at least 10-15 of the same fly. Im going to have to learn more myself....as I plan to do alot of spey/switch rod fishing this year. Very relaxing I find tying flys....Cliffs the man, he could teach you very quickly.

Hey Dave, thank for the demo pics, I do need to get into some proper lessons as my experience thus far is mainly self taught.

I need to be educated on different materials and production steps.

I had a very good teacher (my brother), but you can learn a lot on your own. Grab some books or take a look at Youtube. When I show someone the ropes, I start with some basic nymph patterns (Pheasant Tail and Gold-Ribbed Hare's Ear to be exact), then progress to some basic wet patterns such as the Coachman before progressing to streamers like the Muddler Minnow and then dries like the Royal Coachman and the Wulff series. Once someone has mastered these patterns, they have the skills to take on most flies except perhaps for the classic salmon patterns. The good news is that many of the classic salmon flies have a hair-wing version that is much simpler and no less effective,

Hey Chef...talk to ( sooner ) there is a group that meets in St Catherines thurs nights, if they are still meeting? I find, that once you have the basics, that youtube has lots of videos on flys. The problem I find is that you need a million differant materials. I have found better to try and do at least 10-15 of the same fly. Im going to have to learn more myself....as I plan to do alot of spey/switch rod fishing this year. Very relaxing I find tying flys....Cliffs the man, he could teach you very quickly.

the group is still meeting Thursday nights starting at 6:30. Still free. Hope to see you or anyone else interested in a relaxing evening of fly tying.

I agree magazines and youtube are really good and cheap resources to learn fly tying.

I agree magazines and youtube are really good and cheap resources to learn fly tying.

Hey Mick....Im new to it myself. Just wanted to give you a better idea on how you achieve the 360 degree colour. Here is a brief idea of the steps I use for the rabbit strips. I happen to have small 1/8 beads that fit over the jig hooks, but sometimes I also tye the bigger beads with nails. Also I have been experimenting with a metalic thread after I finish with the regular thread more for a nice reflective colour. This one I did red below the gold bead. Picked the thread up at dollar store. I use protak to finish. Just though this might give you a better idea.....rabbit is amazing in the water. Run it through your sink to check it out...

start_zpsba4d2427.jpg

tail_zps5077af00.jpg

startstrip_zpsbef8e00a.jpg

startwrap2_zps7d4821c9.jpg

startwrap3_zpsef2a6670.jpg

finished_zps3a71e37a.jpg

20130202_222359_zps7672fc0b.jpg

Finally wet.

. Where is your nail Dave ? Never seen it tied that way before. You sure are different. Lol

Hey there's some nice stuff here...congrats on the production.

Here's a few that likely don't qualify...

They're not great...tied them some time ago...

UTspeysm_zps2cff5fd7.jpg

Pseudo-spey based on a salar classic the Undertaker

IceSpeysm_zps41e9619f.jpg

Icespey

GreenLanternSpey_zpsf5101c81.jpg

Finally, one spawned from the fecund mind and passions of young boys...

The Green Lantern Spey

enjoy

cc

. Where is your nail Dave ? Never seen it tied that way before. You sure are different. Lol

Its on my finger....did you not see it? Lol...I still use nails, but I have some nice small brass beads that fit nicely without the need for a nail.

UTspeysm_zps2cff5fd7.jpg

Icespey

The Green Lantern Spey

enjoy

cc

Those flys are terrible....an absolute disgrace to this fly forum. You better believe it they dont qualify.Those are way to easy to learn....anyone can do them.

UTspeysm_zps2cff5fd7.jpg

Icespey

The Green Lantern Spey

enjoy

cc

Great flies there CC! I love your take on the Undertaker (one of my fave salar flies). Not exactly baitfish imitators there but stunning all the same! And no need to remove them. :thx:

CONTEST WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL MARCH 4TH AT 8PM....

Im heading up north and wont be able to create the poll and close the thread till I come back...

Lets see some more entries, cause Ill have a last minute one !

Very nice sooner...i made an attempt at the intruder. But im not happy with it yet...so no pictures until i can get it to look the way i like. Your doing great though....all the practice your getting thurs is evident. Nice job!!

Very nice sooner...i made an attempt at the intruder. But im not happy with it yet...so no pictures until i can get it to look the way i like. Your doing great though....all the practice your getting thurs is evident. Nice job!!

lol I didn't know it was an intruder. I was just mixing up different tying methods. This will have to be fished with a sink tip or drop shot as I spun hair in the red section to help keep the barb up from bottom a bit.

405830208.jpg

This is a variation of the zonker that I call the "migraine minnow" as there is a glass tube rattle tied then epoxied to the hook before the mylar material goes on. I like the noise in low light and stained water conditions.

lol I didn't know it was an intruder. I was just mixing up different tying methods. This will have to be fished with a sink tip or drop shot as I spun hair in the red section to help keep the barb up from bottom a bit.

I never said it was an intruder....lol. just said i was making an attempt at tying the intruder which actually is somewhat simalr...lol. i went and bought a couple of variations so i would have something to go on. What i have found is you need so much materials. My wife flips everytime she sees more bags of this and that....lol Personally i enjoy it...

I never said it was an intruder....lol. just said i was making an attempt at tying the intruder which actually is somewhat simalr...lol. i went and bought a couple of variations so i would have something to go on. What i have found is you need so much materials. My wife flips everytime she sees more bags of this and that....lol Personally i enjoy it...

lol...I enjoy it too...amazing how fast your materials add up. Much like with this pattern, its nice to sit there with one idea (in this case, spinning deer hair to keep rear of hook up) and let the rest of the pattern unfold as you tie. I'm fairly happy with the end result this time.

Archived