Dining Out

smerchly

I have not eaten at a restaurant in about 3 years . The main reason being uncleanliness . Whenever they get around to inspect them , many have been shut down or warned about contamination of food and unsanitary practices . I believe the fast food joints have stricter rules since they are franchises and the owners would want to keep their reputations intact . I don't know how strict they are with our processed foods but we have heard of some very expensive recalls lately . For those who eat at restaurants I hope these ones named here aren't one of your choices..........

http://www.niagararegion.ca/living/health_wellness/food-safety/infodine/closures-and-convictions.aspx

The food safety courses are readily available today and anyone coming out of any culinary program now adays will have taken a ton of food safety within in. The Niagara Region inspects any food establishment at least once a year and more if there is an infraction ... I think it might even be 2 to 4 times a year. They regularly inspect a volunteer club I am a member of ... outside of once a month for the most part we do not cook for the public. We do have a kitchen that caterers will use when they are contracted for something in the banquet hall ... but we often see them four times a year and we pass all the inspections.

Fast food joints are held to corporate standards and inspections. Also they are generally limited to their ability to select equipment (ovens, dishwashers, fridges) ... so they are forced to install what the corporate office knows works. Not true for all franchises though. Most franchises also have food safety programs that must be adhered to. As someone who previously inspected food service outlets, not having your paperwork in order and easily accessible cause an automatic failure with that franchised operation. Two fails at the corporate inspection level and the place was closed. But that was for one branded operation.

I deliver dishwashing chemicals to restaurants. Some are discusting !! A few are pretty good And there are a few that are spic n span with strict cleaning rules. I can tell where NOT to eat. Lol. My experience is that if a restaurant has a quality chef then eat there it's safe. Mick and Angelo's in Niagara Falls passes the test because it has great food and a great chef Chefmick

Good info snags , you would be well aquainted with these things . And as Cliff said , a good chef would not want to work in an unclean kitchen (where's our chef Mick) lol....I have dined a Casa Mia in the falls , and it was a classy place where I felt at ease eating there . Most places like this will make sure their place is clean , they would not want to have their reputation tarnished . The "greasy spoon joints" are the ones to be concerned about mostly . Someone posted a picture of a rat inside a restaurant window in Toronto last year .....I think that started more inspections after that was exposed. I hope the government keeps checking the negligent ones often .

Thanks for the plug Cliff :) It is mandatory for all food service operation to be instected 3 times a year, this is also based on the Canadian Food regulations and the areas Ministry guidelines, and municiple by-laws.

I for one welcome our Health Inspector, we usually have coffee and a long chat about changing regulations, then I let him go about his business.

I have 17 years of fine dining experience, numerous awards including 1 bronze and 1 silver medal from the Culinary Olympics in Germany, so food is pretty much

my life (and fishing lol).

As per Mick and Angelo's, keeping a very large restaurant with a huge staff organized and clean is a daily ordeal, aging equipment vs. high volume productions is a battle that happens weekly, with a dozens of refridgeration units our refer' repair guy almost lives here!

This building is old and it has its issues, but the changes I have made since being asked to head up the kitchens here have made the Niagara health department quite happy. As per qualifying for food safety, I currently have my Advanced Food Handlers certificate management level and plan to become an instructor so I can teach the course to our new team members. If you do go out to a restaurant you have every right to ask the management how many working members have either basic or Advanced Food Handlers cards,

Bon Apetit!!!

P.S this is not an advertisement, I wouldnt even dream of saying something like come to Mick and Angelos' for great food and good times, or to meet ChefMick and chat about fishing......'Cause that would be against the rules!!! ;)

CM

Thats funny cause they just had Simons on Bridge st in the paper before the new year. Congratulating them on all there years open and they were finally retiring... By the looks of this they got shut down, and made it look like the were closing by choice. wonder how all the cops and border guys feel eating there everyday for last 50 yrs lol!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Cliff on the quality of the food at Micks..and trust me on this,it is because of chefmick .Before he got there the quality was falling off fast.They couldn't even cook a steak right, even a pizza was hit and miss and that is bad when you are an italian based rest..lol.If it wasnt for tourists going off outdated reviews on the internet they would be in trouble. Only problem now is the price vs portion..wow, a huge gouge on the locals.

on a good note they do have some great local talent on the patio all summer,too bad it doesn't carry over to the winter..its not like they dont have the room.

Lol I'm working on the sponsor thing, as per the prices of portions I'm not gonna go into it, but if anyone knows a thing about restaurants a general rule is around 30%. Food cost, we run around 40, which would shut down most places, quality ingredients and big portion priced at a point where we can still float in today's competitive market and not go t!ts up.

Thanks for the plug Cliff :) It is mandatory for all food service operation to be instected 3 times a year, this is also based on the Canadian Food regulations and the areas Ministry guidelines, and municiple by-laws.

I for one welcome our Health Inspector, we usually have coffee and a long chat about changing regulations, then I let him go about his business.

I have 17 years of fine dining experience, numerous awards including 1 bronze and 1 silver medal from the Culinary Olympics in Germany, so food is pretty much

my life (and fishing lol).

As per Mick and Angelo's, keeping a very large restaurant with a huge staff organized and clean is a daily ordeal, aging equipment vs. high volume productions is a battle that happens weekly, with a dozens of refridgeration units our refer' repair guy almost lives here!

This building is old and it has its issues, but the changes I have made since being asked to head up the kitchens here have made the Niagara health department quite happy. As per qualifying for food safety, I currently have my Advanced Food Handlers certificate management level and plan to become an instructor so I can teach the course to our new team members. If you do go out to a restaurant you have every right to ask the management how many working members have either basic or Advanced Food Handlers cards,

Bon Apetit!!!

P.S this is not an advertisement, I wouldnt even dream of saying something like come to Mick and Angelos' for great food and good times, or to meet ChefMick and chat about fishing......'Cause that would be against the rules!!! ;)

CM

Glad to know M&A is clean as a whistle. The wife and I drive from Oakville just to eat there.

• 2 weeks later...

Smerch... as correct as you are about youre concern for cleanliness in restaurants youre naivety is amusing. Yes restaurants arent the most sanitary place in the world... but neither is a hospital. the nature of a restaurant, or rather the food industry in general is a filthy and unhygienic business. Ive worked in restaurants accross niagara for the past 10 years, from fine dinning to mom and pop restaurants, and mega-corps as well. Not one has ever been perfect in regards health and safety (this is mainly due to inconsistencies within the H and S control board in Ont) and the convictions you speak of can amount to something as minor as spoons not being stored all facing the same direction to salmon being left in a broken fridge. the laws regarding food services are very vague and in alot of peoples opinions very ineffective. Sure a restaurant can be closed down, but it will open again soon and probably not lose any business. THE PROBLEM YOU SHOULD DIRECT YOURE ATTENTION TO IS THE FOOD YYOOUU ARE BUYING AND COOKING. Nothing, not one thing you eat is what you think it is. The processes involved in bring food to market in todays age are primarily concerned with making sure the food looks, smells, and tastes the way YOU think it should when it gets to you and doing such in a PROFITABLE way. IE youre food is pumped full of chemicals and process and refined untill it would no longer appeal to you, than it is pumped full of 'natural' favours. I guess what im getting at is ur paranoia is unfounded, there are much more 'unsafe' things u could be consuming at restaurants around niagara..
SUch as this... Everyhting i have just touched on would prove to push people away from store bought foods which have been 'tampered' with in unknown ways. SO whats a man to do? well theres the olden days of do it yourself, and as appealing as that would be, especially for a fish eating fisherman like all of us. But the lakes around here and around the world are polluted by the same people making money off of processing our foods. Moral of the story is eat it anyway, your not gonna die. go out for dinner with ur wife, if its been 3 years she probably deserves a nice fancy one so come see me over at the lake house (leave ur fears behind) and il show what niagara has to offer.. amazing food and wine can be found accross niagara you should all take advatage of it

GoneChiffin... Thanks for your inside info . on the pros & cons of the restaurant/food industry . I'm happy to see you are amused at my naivety and paranoia . The truth is , I am neither , I just happen to like extra cleanliness when it comes to food . I am aware that processed foods can have chopped "roaches" or mouse droppings in some products . Even 40 years ago Gerbers baby food factory in the Falls was shut down for unsanitary conditions . I went to an eatery in Niag.Falls NY where you could get a nice tasty steak very CHEAP . While enjoying my steak I happened to see the small kitchen door open & saw a very FILTHY floor ( roach heaven) .....never went back . The link I posted tells us what the infractions were in the restaurants , not always putting a spoon backwards ...lol .I am not a clean freak , but try to be moderately sanitary with food . For instance .....I see many people handing/sorting through the fresh produce at the stores , so I wash it well before using (you never know where they were scratching that itch) haha . And , yes , I'll have an egg mcmuffin , fries & coffee at McD's. or a sub . I have grown my own veggies for years for both enjoyment & taste & I'll buy California strawberries,etc. in the off season . We cannot buy enough chemical free food . Bigugli can tell you all about the chems used on farms , some of which are banned here but not in other countries that export their food to our plates .Most of my concern is about the government doing its job of inspecting our foods properly from the source to the table . This is certainly no place to have cutbacks .I would rather eat out less often & pay more for dinner at well regarded establishments. Thanks for your kind offer , I'll keep that in mind .......and I do feel better after reading the comments here ......and meeting Chef Mick today :) ........Cheers !

i would like tho think that there arnt many if any of the Niagara restaurants like the one you just posted i want to think that its just the states having different health codes and regulations that are alot less controlled then canada. but realistically i think im relatively okay with eating at most restaurants my dad is an executive chef and has only really advised me to not eat at a few places in the niagara region

yeah, but even still if the place has roaches and rats youd probably know just by looking at it, and toronto would be abit harder, you coult have a completely spotless restaurant, but if the person beside you has roaches and rats then your screwed they will find a way in and wont go unless every place is rid of them

In downtown Toronto you can throw up a brand spanking new condominium tower and in 30 days you will have your first signs of roaches. They travel up through the sewer lines, and service conduits. You cannot stop them but you can aggressively control them with a constant rotation of spray, bait and trap.. This is a fact for every hotel, restaurant and hospital. The cleaner your facility is, the fewer you will attract..

Archived