Dining Out

smerchly

i would like tho think that there arnt many if any of the Niagara restaurants like the one you just posted i want to think that its just the states having different health codes and regulations that are alot less controlled then canada. but realistically i think im relatively okay with eating at most restaurants my dad is an executive chef and has only really advised me to not eat at a few places in the niagara region

The US may have laxer laws ... but you can sue and get some decent settlements if your lawyer is good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Food_Nation

A book plug there. Good read.

There are a ton of "dirty" restaurants in Niagara ... probably a similar number on a per capita basis compared to Toronto. Unfortunately you can not educate stupid but I would love to see a federal mandate that a multi-day food safety program would have to be taken by any owner and manager of a restaurant. For every good Chef (chefMick) you have others ... where I currently work I had to toss out over $3,000 in food because a fridge went screwy for 24 hours. The chef informed myself it was an over reaction and that they were certified in (listed numerous food safety programs) and that the food shouldnt be disposed of. That chef has since been demoted due to a second and third violation of such a nature. They have their ticket from the food safe program we require, just plain stupid. The old school train of though still exists of COOK IT AND ITS FINE.

Even when I had to do food safety audits for a major chain ... the individual managers did not understand the concepts a lot of the time when it came to temperature control.

i hear you there, one place that i worked for, the kitchen manager hated throwing food out, the reason was because he would get a bonus if his percents were right, and throwing out food thats been either out to long, not properly handled, not properly cooked ect, it was brutal, the owners who bought the place didnt take any courses that i know of, they would get drunk at the bar and make there own food, and they would cross contaminate all the time, brutal. even after bringing it up with my "superiors" nothing changed, they just said dont start stuff thats bigger then you, and being 17 at the time i was in a crappy situation, i really do understand what your saying, the courses that kitchen staff take should cover alot more then it does, and i think they need to enforce it more often then the 3 times per year, its a hassle but it needs to be done.

Niagara Region actually operates pretty good ... if your a good establishment they dont bother you but if your a questionable establishment they will be back repeatedly time and time again until you pass ... basically they operate that once your flagged we will see you until your good to go but then it will still be more frequent than not.

I dont know if they do anymore but they used to post all results of any restaurant on the Niagara Regions website so you could track back over how the restaurant has done ...

Archived