Center-Pin Reel Cost Justification

hookedagain

Hi all,

Why are CP reel so expensive? They seem so basic. Is it the relatively low demand? I don't get it. I realize this is a totally novice question but, if you could please explain the high cost, that'd be much appreciated.

TE

I would tend to agree. A cp is quite basic a spool on a pin, but the increased price in reel does influence functionality. I recently upgraded from the aventa to the islander and the time the spool spins is greatly increased. I think.a lot of the price is for the fancy c and c work that is done

I agree that some of the cost is due to the machining and cost of aluminum. More fancy machining more cost. The real reason they cost so much is because they are the new trend and people are paying. When I first started cp fishing some of the reals still had only bushings. All this timing how long they spin for that is always posted about these days is funny! Some reals are better built than others but the cost of some reals these days is In the end the cost of your cp real does not amount to more fish being caught. The fun of a cp real is watching a float get smacked and then fighting some chrome on 1:1 reel.

I would agree with the costs of the machining and very close tolerances. Bearnings labour and anodized coatings all ad up. With that said i would think there is a decent profit margin and demand dictates price.

In this case it isn't demand Dave, it's keeping it as an elitist thing plus quality (supply?) Definitely a hell of a profit to be made, like anything that has a premium image. If it was about demand setting the price spinning reels would be higher priced as more people are comfortable with them.

I'd love to get one but the price tag doesn't help.

Anyone ever fought a pike or Muskie on one? Carp? Or is it a trout only thing?

I have seen some cheaper Aussie reels on eBay ... Look same concept hoping my brother can bring me one back

I know a few people who fish for carp with them, I can't see how it wouldn't work, the pin would basically act as your baitrunner.

I agree snags....but i llined up to get my hands on the r2. The small center pin makers or custom name the price because they can. If nobody bought....the price would fall. I dont agree with elitist....there is many affordable options out there. I started with a used hand mme down....worked good enough....but when you use one of the quality pins you do notice a big differance. The islander for example....i dont even have one, but they are built solid and bullet proof therefore you pay....i have changed my mind on more than one occaasion on equipment....tried to buy cheap and in the end...bought twice. I still dont concider myself a good pin fisherman.....but fighting a run away bullet on the pin is alot of fun....that and the fact you can long drift floats. Same fun with spinning rod but not as practical for the drifting part. Just my opinion.

Hi all,

Why are CP reel so expensive? They seem so basic. Is it the relatively low demand? I don't get it. I realize this is a totally novice question but, if you could please explain the high cost, that'd be much appreciated.

TE

Guess it all depends on what you consider expensive .... they are the same as any other style of reel out there , i can buy a $100 baitcaster or i can buy a $1500 baitcaster same goes for spinning reels , a float reel can be bought for around $100 and can go in excess of $4000 that being a rare breed who will pay that but they are out there . the reels around 500-600 usually hand mand on a manual machine in a small shop where there builder will costomize colours, porting you name it , say he can machine a reel in about 20 hours which i doubt plus assemble it, buy the boxes , labels, neoprene pouch , so if he works 20 hours at $20 an hour , which is low for a machinist but just for example thats $400 just in labor , plus materials . its not that far out there . you can have a KIA or a Lambo , a Legend or a Lund all depends on the person i guess

Hey , quit jumping on my Legend eh ? I'm a Chevy guy , not a Caddi man , a P-liner ,not a Sequarer ,lol . If one wants to buy a $20 Timex or a $5000 Rolex , all is well in consumer heaven . My first bait caster reels had no drag & we used our thumbs on the spool to fight the big ones . Then they invented star drags , spinning reels , and center pins (back to a human drag) . It's all in the mind of the beholder what suits their fancy ......but , I still have to question why a cp costs more than say a good Stratic that has a 100 parts to assemble , some that could be used in a Rolex ....... :)

Hey , quit jumping on my Legend eh ? I'm a Chevy guy , not a Caddi man , a P-liner ,not a Sequarer ,lol . If one wants to buy a $20 Timex or a $5000 Rolex , all is well in consumer heaven . My first bait caster reels had no drag & we used our thumbs on the spool to fight the big ones . Then they invented star drags , spinning reels , and center pins (back to a human drag) . It's all in the mind of the beholder what suits their fancy ......but , I still have to question why a cp costs more than say a good Stratic that has a 100 parts to assemble , some that could be used in a Rolex ....... :)

stradic parts are CNC turned and spit out by the hundreds per hour , operator pushes a green button " GO" and machine does the rest and they sell millions of them, probably for about $6.00 an hour also , same reason you can getan okuma centerpin for the same price as a stradic

You can buy a chevy or you can buy a toyota..... :roflblack: I almost bought the Legend myself Smerch....darn near $30K still floats...lol

You can buy a chevy or you can buy a toyota..... :roflblack: I almost bought the Legend myself Smerch....darn near $30K still floats...lol

Lots of GM retirees, like me, buying Toyotas Dave . At least they are assembled here in Ontario whereas a so called Chev Wave is all made in Korea . Between the two ,I'll buy the Toyota and then tell my GM dealer all about it . when will they start making the "No Name " cars ....I'll buy that one too . lol

Bondar ....6 bucks per hours seems like a high wage in Taiwan & I know what you mean about mass producing throw away products these days ......I have an inkless printer sitting beside me & new ink costs more than the printer . This is my third & last printer that ran out of ink without much use at all & will end up being tossed out . I have a Stradic with a broken bail arm & the cost to get a new one is like buying a nut or bolt for a car , about 1000% markup !

In this case it isn't demand Dave, it's keeping it as an elitist thing plus quality (supply?) Definitely a hell of a profit to be made, like anything that has a premium image. If it was about demand setting the price spinning reels would be higher priced as more people are comfortable with them.

I'd love to get one but the price tag doesn't help.

Anyone ever fought a pike or Muskie on one? Carp? Or is it a trout only thing?

I have seen some cheaper Aussie reels on eBay ... Look same concept hoping my brother can bring me one back

You can catch lot's of species using a pin. I fish for carp using a centre-pin. I choose to use thinner, pencil style floats with minimum weight to sink it if I am letting float around just touching the bottem. Otherwise, if I fish using it still I will add a small egg sinker at the swivel of the leader to keep it stationary. It is a deadly method for catching carp, Take a look at the video's on YouTube. They are very helpfull. Below is a photo of one of my catches and the float I used. Good luck

mnapril15jpg003_zpsabf38583.jpg

Theres a few spots at the 12 Mile that you pinners can try for carp .....and bass , cats & sheepers . There is lots of room to use a c.p. & a long rod with a nice backwash . The carp will take off like a rocket into the main current & a 7 pounder will fight like a 20 pounder with a fire under his arse . :o I have had a blast with my spinning reel & 10.5' rod with the carp .

Much ado about nothing...spool on a pin (to quote one of our preeminent float reel makers, Robb Marquet of Frogwater). I retrofitted an old Pflueger about 30 years ago for float fishing...did the job for $20. Young heros want numbers so they chuck bait and invariably outfish the fly guys...more float guys on some tribs these days than fish as a consequence...

Hi all,

TE

They don't need to be...certainly based on what it is they have to do...

Really good pins out there for decent coin...ran into an ardent pinner at the show who, like me, dropped $75 on the TFG pin put of the UK...we both concurred that it is a really nice pin.

Others are the usual suspects Okuma, Raven, Amundson, Rapala, etc. etc....for around $200.

cc

Interesting topic and responses...here's mine.

Simply put, It's all about what the buyer perceives as value.

I know many people who value centerpins as collectable items and they would pay more simply because they want to add it to their collection.

It's also what you get out of the product...you're probably not going to catch more fish however it could be the satisfaction of owning/using this reel or it could be the way it functions. A $4000 Clough may not function that much better than say a $250 Akuma Sirata however each user will get things out of them. Does the Clough have such a better performance or is able to land more fish...no.

It's like comparing this to printer ink...printer ink is worth more than gold when comparing them ounce by ounce however it's what you do with the printer ink that determines the value to the buyer. If you're only using the printer for printing and sharing baking recipes, the printer ink is probably very expensive however to a real estate lawyer printing purchasing documents for your home worth $100's of thousands of dollars is probably not perceived as being "expensive".

We can break it down and disect the physical reel from bearings to materials to design however it will always come down to what the buyer's personal preference and preceived value are.

Just my thoughts on this...

Archived