Myrtle Beach

dods

Hey guys, heading to Myrtle Beach for week and I know I can't be near that much water without the itch. Anyone have any insights to charters or other fishing opportunities? It is vacation so I wouldn't mind using a charter. Anyone have any experience down there? You guys are always the best at sharing info, so anything is appreciated. Thanks!

If you have never been before, there is a lot to look into. A relatively inexpensive option is to go out on a party boat. They know the waters, the species , and provide the gear. They offer charters ranging from a few hours to overnight runs depending on the time of year.

this time of year id be looking for schooling redfish in shallow bays and sight casting jigs to them , also , black drum and flounder. , i think its little river , in north Myrtle Beach is good area , ive never fished there myself but redfish are fun and pretty easy from what i understand and Pull hard

You can rent a flats boat way in south myrtle beach. Only about $100 for the whole day. Redfish, whiting etc. I fish from shore, but not during prime time. Shark is best bet this time of year. Occasional drum or whiting too.

Lived down there fo a few years. Charter fishing this time of year is mostly for sea bass and its hit or miss this time of year due to cold water temps. Fishing from a pier, you can catch croakers, whiting, skates, and black tip sharks and occasional sea trout. I usually did better in the surf than piers this time of year. Use heavy wieghts and braided line in the surf- get your shrimp from a grocery store. Vary your cast out- sometimes the fish are inside the surf area, sometimes just where the swells end and the surf starts and for some reason, outgoing low tide has the most bites. Dress up too, its cold down there when the wind comes off the ocean!

I love fishing for whiting in the surf, light rods, small size 4-6 hooks, and fairly light weights because its best to fish very close to to the shore. If you plan to put out bigger rigs for reds and sharks, use heavier gear for sure, i love using rigs with a 3 oz weight with 2 or three hooks on them. Cigar minnows work great!

Pier fishing is a blast in Myrtle Beach if you want to save the expense of a charter and fishing from the pier doesn't required a license. An all day pass on the pier was something like $9 and they have equipment rentals at reasonable rates. Here is a link to one of the piers my wife and I were fishing from: http://secondavenuepier.com/ .

If you want to try shore fishing, you can get a 2 week fishing license for about $11 at the local Walmart.

For shore fishing, you'll want a long rod and a high capacity reel and can purchase these down there from as little as $40 up to whatever you want to spend. There were lots of guys out on the beach fishing all day and they were very helpful getting me started. I bought all my kit down there and spent much less on equipment than the cost of a few hours on a charter. I will be going back in May hoping to land a few.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived