My New Boat

Dogman

So I decided that I wanted a new boat for this season. Pulled the trigger on a new Native Slayer 14.5. I picked it up on Friday and did some rigging over the weekend. Got my Humminbird 597CI HD DI Combo installed, one of my two anchor trolleys and one of my camera mounts. Now all I have to do is wait for the damn water to warm up.

slayer2f.jpg

slayer1f.jpg

slayer3v.jpg

That is beautiful... Every die-hard fisherman needs at least one for the living room ... good location on the cup holder, just needs a tray for the remote & snacks lol ... JK

But seriously, ...Congrats !! It looks awesome.

Nice looking set up! Is it light enough for one person to load it on top of a car ?

It comes in at 75lbs so it is heavy. I didn't have any problems loading and unloading it on Friday. Had to be near 90lbs with all the packing materials. Takes a bit of practice though.

Looks great!

I'm still debating on a kayak or canoe. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but since I'm mostly solo, the kayak may be better.

Where did you buy it? Locally?

I bought it from Austin Canoe and Kayak in Texas. Unfortunately I haven't found any local dealers that carry any of the brands I was looking for. I think if you took a kayak out fishing you would be sold on one. I'd be happy to take you out once the weather warms up a bit. I have three in a couple different sizes.

Nice ship ! I was looking at a real beauty at the boat show yesterday , all decked up and made for fishing ......forgot to get a shot of it . I spoke to the guy about it's features and price etc. & have a pamphlet on his business in Dunneville . Always worth checking out the options . Enjoy your ride !

hey dogman did you mount your transducer on the bottom or glue it on the inside?

I mounted it inside for the time being. I used duct seal so that it can be easily removed. I have a couple parts on order then I will mount it properly outside the hull.

I bought it from Austin Canoe and Kayak in Texas. Unfortunately I haven't found any local dealers that carry any of the brands I was looking for. I think if you took a kayak out fishing you would be sold on one. I'd be happy to take you out once the weather warms up a bit. I have three in a couple different sizes.

i have to agree with you, i rented a kayak from outdoors oriented last year and took it to pigeon lake and its just a whole new world fishing from one, its alot of fun, but it was a sit in not sit on, and i found it abit difficult to keep all my stuff in a comfortable place. a rigged up boat like this would be a breeze to fish from, and if you get warm from paddling or from the sun you can always dip your feet in the water to cool you off.

I'm sure there are pluses to both but I wouldn't trade my SOT for a sit in. I've taken my old one from the great lakes to Chesapeake Bay to the Gulf of Mexico. This new boat will be taken even further with trips planned to the Florida Keys, Temagami for Aurora trout, the tunnel bridge in Virginia Beach and hopefully if I can fit it in a trip up to Nipigon. Plus all the local fishing that has to be done :crazy:

Brian I think I have some old magazine articles about the aurora laying in the basement....

I`ll make sure I set them aside for you... wouldnt have room for 1 more on that trip would you?

Thats one of those bucket list things!

also I got some awesome terrestrials tied up for this summer! should try and find a few evenings again

Brian I think I have some old magazine articles about the aurora laying in the basement....

I`ll make sure I set them aside for you... wouldnt have room for 1 more on that trip would you?

Thats one of those bucket list things!

You guys better giddy-up!

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@species/documents/research/stdprod_091136.pdf

:(

Article Summary:

Aurora Trout is a recognizable colour variant of the Brook Trout that only occurs in two small lakes in northeastern Ontario. Formerly, it was recognized as a subspecies and was classified as Endangered in Ontario. It became extinct in the wild as a result of acid precipitation of the lakes where it occurred. The lakes were limed to increase the pH and Aurora Trout was successfully reintroduced from hatchery stock. The wild population is estimated at 2000 to 3600. Recent genetic studies indicate that there is a lack of genetic or ecological distinctness to separate it from the common form of Brook Trout. Consequently Aurora Trout is no longer considered eligible to be designated as a species of risk.

Yes it is very sad. It looks like they have removed all restrictions on the Auroras. Now they fall under the same limits and season as brook trout.

[edit]After digging into the regs a little further the restrictions are still there. Still one fish per person per day and only 3 open lakes. Guess we'll see how long it lasts.[/edit]

... wouldnt have room for 1 more on that trip would you?

Probably will have room. I can't make any real plans yet since I have to wait and see what my work I'm gone for all of July but I'll hit you up when I get back.

Rob

Archived