"coconut Credit"

Seanook

Over the past few weeks I have been fishing the Credit on a regular basis. Of all of the things I have come across on the banks lately, there is one particular common item that until lately I just thought was slightly peculiar and after seeing it frequently, just down right strange, Until........it was explained to me.

After seeing about 15-20 Coconuts float by in one morning, a fellow angler keenly observed my perplexed expression at the appearance of another one.

He chuckles and says "Dunno what all that Coconut business is about, do ya" ?

I reply " No. What the hell is with that"?

"Ashes" he says.

............."Huh" ????

He explains to me that in some religious circles that when folks die they are cremated and their ashes are put into Coconuts and placed into any flowing body of water to "return to the earth".

Now I am aware that obviously sometimes when people croak they request their ashes be spread in a location of their choosing. I am not naive enough to think that these requests never include a body of water but by the sheer volume of Coconuts I am beginning to think that an entire community of the deceased is ending up in the river!

Now if this is truly the source of all these Coconuts then I have to ask myself,

"Even if this is just ashes, does it pose a health risk"?

"Is it even legal"?

"Does, and should it deter me even further from eating a fish I catch in the Credit"? I'm already reluctant to eat anything out of any Lake O trib but this just makes it a little less appetizing.

I am definitely not being critical of the practices, religious or cultural of other people(s) but I have to say that I found it somewhat cryptic and slightly alarming.

Anyone else aware of this "phenomena"?

Thoughts?

I noticed the coconuts last year, didn't know where they coming from. My first thought was a restaurant, bar, club or any kind of store that might serve fresh coconut/juice up north..

it is weird if it is true what he told you but now I have a story to tel my fishing buddy...

BTW, you can find more reason to not to eat fish from Lake Ontario if you think of water treatment plants and nuclear plants along Lake Ontario... cheers.

I noticed the coconuts last year, didn't know where they coming from. My first thought was a restaurant, bar, club or any kind of store that might serve fresh coconut/juice up north..

it is weird if it is true what he told you but now I have a story to tel my fishing buddy...

BTW, you can find more reason to not to eat fish from Lake Ontario if you think of water treatment plants and nuclear plants along Lake Ontario... cheers.

my reason to not eat lake ontario fish is if you go to municipal beach after a heavy rain, go sit on the boat launch and just sniff the area, aparently after a heavy rain the sewage treatment plant cant handle the influx of water and apparently the raw sewage water escapes into the lake. not saying this is true, but after going to the beach and taking a whiff it seems to be believable

Lmao. I have never taken one fish from a Lake O trib, let alone the credit. Not Niagara, Bronte, or even any of the eastern tribs. Just some Perch and Wallies out of the Quinte area and that still made me feel a little sketchy.

Lately though, my 90 year old Grandfather has been hearing that I have been pulling Trout out of some river near Toronto and I started getting phone calls demanding a fish (or two) and I promised to bring him one if I got one small enough.

He's obviously no spring chicken and is probably full of pcb's himself but he would beat me with his walker and strangle me with them arthritic clutches if I fed him a fish that had been swimming in dead people from foreign lands!

After seeing about 15-20 Coconuts float by in one morning, a fellow angler keenly observed my perplexed expression at the appearance of another one.

He chuckles and says "Dunno what all that Coconut business is about, do ya" ?

I reply " No. What the hell is with that"?

"Ashes" he says.

............."Huh" ????

He explains to me that in some religious circles that when folks die they are cremated and their ashes are put into Coconuts and placed into any flowing body of water to "return to the earth".

There goes my global warming theory.

In Canada, under various cemetary and burial acts, it is unlawful to just scatter human remains wherever one pleases. Even if they are only ashes. Some outlined reasons being health and sanitation,dignity towards human remains, preventing the creation of family burial plots throughout the countryside

My family has been involved in cemetary operations for over 25 years as groundskeepers, clerks, management, with Toronto Trust Cemetaries {now known as the Mt Pleasant group, I think}. Personally, I believe that particular set of rules to be antiquated and needlessly restrictive, but they are what they are. Scattering ashes to the wind, or on the waters is illegal.

In Canada, under various cemetary and burial acts, it is unlawful to just scatter human remains wherever one pleases. Even if they are only ashes. Some outlined reasons being health and sanitation,dignity towards human remains, preventing the creation of family burial plots throughout the countryside

My family has been involved in cemetary operations for over 25 years as groundskeepers, clerks, management, with Toronto Trust Cemetaries {now known as the Mr Pleasant group, I think}. Personally, I believe that particular set of rules to be antiquated and needlessly restrictive, but they are what they are. Scattering ashes to the wind, or on the waters is illegal.

That is what I thought, although under some religious acts could there be exemptions?

Would the Government designate an area specificaly for practices like this?

Is this just a case of turning a blind eye to an issue that is minor and probably uncontrollable?

Are these remains properly incinerated? .......I would think so as I can't see anyone having a backyard funeral pire but this is already kind of an odd situation. Just begs the question.

Excuse my ignorance but I figured these were all legitimate concerns and questions.

As far as cremated remains go, they must be cremated in a certified facility using a retort complying to very specific standards. Collection of the ashes and particulate is also done in a specified and controlled method.

Here is the grey area. Once the remains are placed in a suitable receptacle, it is then up to the family to determine where they should be placed. They are supposed to be deposited in a designated property or facility.

They can do no biological harm.

Family may not have obtained a plot yet, might wait til the significant other has deceased, may opt to ship them back home. Some cemetaries do offer a "scattering garden". The onus is no longer on the funeral home or crematorium. Further, it would be difficult to convict a person for illegally dumping cremated remains. After all, the evidence is blowing in the wind.

I wish we were all cremated and sent adrift in coconuts. Absolutely no chance of zombie reanimation. Fish that river knowing your brains are safe!

Hahahaha. As long as the result isn't zombie fish.... I suppose I could deal with it.

Hahahaha. As long as the result isn't zombie fish.... I suppose I could deal with it.

isnt zombie fish basically chinnys after they spawn? with all the scars and decaying skin they pretty much are swimming zombies:P

Last year while fishing lake Gibson with my son, a very polite sweet lady came up behind us with a little bag of flower pedals. She infromed us that her husband had past away last year and this was his fishing spot. She said she had scattered his ashes in the water in this spot and has returned to place the pedals in the water this year. My first reaction was for my son and I to move. She asked us not too. She said her husband would be so happy to see my son fishing there. I insisted that we at least move to give her some time alone.

We never went back to that spot later that day as I didn't want to fish around any of the floating flowers.

isnt zombie fish basically chinnys after they spawn? with all the scars and decaying skin they pretty much are swimming zombies:P

Ha ha , you got it Jordanl .....we never know what died , crapped or burned up in a forest fire and ended "upstream" and made it's way to the lakes . Me and a bud got real sick after a moose hunting trip after we drank Tang made from a "fresh" running stream with crystal clear ice cold water .......doctor said we probably drank "beaver tea" as they don't use washrooms . Cremated ashes are sterile from the intense heat .....I would like my ashes to go for a ride down the 12 Mile ....no one would need to know and the urn can be refilled with fire pit ashes . lol I think the smaller lake Ont. fish are safer to eat than some imported ones we buy at the stores , or many other commercial foods we buy.

I'm in the death business. And I all ways laugh when people ask if its okay to scatter ashes. I say it's not legal but who's gonna come after you the cremation police.

I'm not thinking that they would throw it in a stream but I got a place where I would like mine. So I understand.

And on the same topic was a place that took cremations mixed it with pellet feed for trout and you can feed trout with it.

Aaaaahahahaha. Absolutely. First time I saw one I thought it was the swimming dead for sure. By the York st bridge in Hamilton many years ago. Really thought the harbour was radioactive for a while after that.

Aaaaahahahaha. Absolutely. First time I saw one I thought it was the swimming dead for sure. By the York st bridge in Hamilton many years ago. Really thought the harbour was radioactive for a while after that.

haha i saw a rainbow buck that was decaying around trout opener at bailey bridge, it kept beaching itself so i pushed it back in the water with a stick, they smell just terrible, it would float down stream sideways and 10 mins later it would go back up stream and do it again,

http://www.rammandir.ca/articles/disposition-cremation-ash

Disposition of Cremation Ash

Religious offerings in our RIVERS

Hindus believe that water is sacred because it is the foundation for the growth of plant, animal and human life. The act of placing organic offerings in water after Pooja represents a return to origins. Hindu religious offerings are being found in local rivers in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA).

The religious offerings include: Flowers and leaves, coconuts, lemons, and other fruits, jewellery or coins, cloth or clothing

Credit Valley Conservation (CVC) and Toronto and Region Conservation (TRCA) know that religious offerings are important to many cultures. CVC and TRCA are working closely with the Hindu community to find other means to placing offerings in the river, while also exploring similar cultural and religious offering practices.

What does this mean to the ENVIRONMENT?

While religious offerings are not the largest source of water pollution, anything not found naturally in the river can harm water quality and the homes of wildlife.

When flowers, leaves, lemons, coconuts and other plant materials are put into the water, they immediately begin to break down and use up oxygen. Some plants and animals are very sensitive to the amount of oxygen in the water and cannot survive when there is not enough.

Coconuts, lemons and other fruits may cause health and disease problems if eaten by wildlife. This is because these fruits do not grow in Canada and are not the typical food that wildlife in this country would eat.

Clothing, jewellery, money, plastic bags, containers and wrappers may cause harm if wildlife get caught in them or eat them.

What can I do?

Flowers and leaves may be placed in local rivers, however only a small handful should be release a t one time. Extra flowers can be composted.

Fruits such as coconuts may be eaten, composted or buried with the permission of the landowner.

Offering such as clothing, jewellery or money should not be placed in or near rivers. These offering may be donated to your local temple.

Plastic bags or wrappers must be recycled or placed in the garbage.

Who do I contact for more information?

Toronto and Region Conservation
Phone: (416) 661-6600 ext. 5394
Email: multiculturalconnections@trca.on.ca

Credit Valley Conservation
Phone: (905) 670-1615
Email: info@creditvalleyca.ca

Hindu Federation
Contact Person: Pandit Roopnauth Sharma
Phone: (905) 670-8439
Email: ptroopsharma@gmail.com

It is an issue of concern. Even if the thought of cremated remains is not any particular health risk, it is a little bit disconcerting. I think I will just continue to refrain from eating GTA fish. Just my prerogative.

Archived