Few New Flys

DaveC

Been watching videos trying to learn to tye Intruders. Here is a few I have finished.

20130315_190506_zps41f461d7.jpg

20130315_185323_zps48ba0b41.jpg

20130315_191047_zps42fd613b.jpg

Nice flies Dave

Thanks sooner...I find watching videos is good, then I just pause the videos as I go. What I have found is that you need so many materials...seen some others I would like to tye but just dont have the materials. I hope to get my fly rod / lines together soon to test them out. Have you guys done any pike flys yet ?

Some patterns that use exotic or hard to find materials can still be approximated by substituting something else. Can't afford polar bear: use white Phentex wool mixed with some flash. Can't find jungle Male Appendage eyes: a couple of dabs of testors or humbrol paint on a hackle tip will do.

I've not tied any flies specifically targeting pike, but the thing to keep in mind is that pike are ambush predators rather that pursuers. They'll often strike from the side rather than from behind, so long flies will often hook up on the outside of the pike's jaw. Using a short hook with a longer wing (ie Zonker, Deceiver or Matuka style) will help.

A great pike fly for the shallows is called a "carpet muncher" which is due to the fact that the body requires CCT material for he body. Look it up on YouTube easy to tie and is a deadly effective for top water. If I can find one around ill post one that I have tied.

Looked up the carpet muncher...seems easy. Have to get some of those ready. I have a few rivers that hold some pike in the shallos so they should work well.

I know....can you believe it? Im determined one day i might accidently pull one off though.

Pike flies are fun. Color, materials, pattern, you can throw it all out the window and try whatever. Synthetics! Glorious colors! All you really want on a pike streamer are big eyes and durability. The latter achieved by liberal use of head cement and kevlar thread, wrapped under heavy tension. A nice gold cone head provides flash and makes it dip down like a real minnow. And no need to go apeshit big, either... keep them reasonable, pike aren't exactly picky, they're apex predators. You pop a 1" fly on their head and dollars to donuts they'll smash it.

Pike flies are fun. Color, materials, pattern, you can throw it all out the window and try whatever. Synthetics! Glorious colors! All you really want on a pike streamer are big eyes and durability. The latter achieved by liberal use of head cement and kevlar thread, wrapped under heavy tension. A nice gold cone head provides flash and makes it dip down like a real minnow. And no need to go apeshit big, either... keep them reasonable, pike aren't exactly picky, they're apex predators. You pop a 1" fly on their head and dollars to donuts they'll smash it.

Have any pictures of pike flys you tied?

Nice job Dave, the look great, have you seen them wet yet???

Thanks Mick, no not yet....lol. Im still trying to juggle so many things. I have to get the skagit line, mow tips, then at least one lesson. I will probably start with pike, as I have a few places close by I can practice without making a donkey out of myself...lol. Like a quite river...just me and the fish hehehe. Those flys Chasin Musky has look awesome...that chartruse and black double leg...that has to be a killer for pike. I sometimes get depressed with flys....I fish them under the float alot, and 95% of my fish I have caught have been on my own egg patterns. And one fly i tied that looked like nothing..let my wife use it was killer. But Im not giving up....CCfly does alot of steelie fishing, and he admits to not catching on a wooly bugger....me either !!!!!! so at least I know Im not alone. Streamers, and egg patterns all produce....now just want to expand a little more with a rod that gves me the opportunity to fish the fly the way its meant to be fished rather than under a float.

All flies have a place and method. Many flies are used under a indicator with a with a dropper rig or something. I have caught trout on the fly with a egg sucking leech, was pretty much a wolly bugger with a pink egg as many of you have seen haha.

Chase Chrome or CCfly can tie some awesome flies, however steelhead aren't really worried about how pretty and perfect it is. Put the right colour out and present it properly and most steelhead will hit it.

Dave that fly of mine you mentioned has caught some. How ever the rabbit fur ones are most productive.

Yeh, im excited to get started. Ive seen lots of pike cruising the shallows on the speed river in the spring early summer cant wait to see one of them smash a fly.plus i know some places with lots of room and river all to yourself..lol. i have lots of rabit fur so i can tye up a few to try. I bought all Bondars floats and strike indicators so i have all that.Darn fly lines and mow tips are expensive. Im finding out real fast how expensive fly fishing can be.

Haha yea it isn't cheap. I never bought any tappered leaders for fly fishing pike, I made all my own and just sized down to the correct dia of line.

For trout where mending and presentations are key I did. Pike are dumb though so didn't matter haha.

Looked up the carpet muncher...seems easy. Have to get some of those ready. I have a few rivers that hold some pike in the shallos so they should work well.

Carpet munchers are pretty awesome. Just make sure your google search filter is off when you're looking for pictures.

Once i find the carpet munchers....then the crabs will be next.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived