Streams

GoneFishin83

Ok so I know I may catch some flak for asking this but i'm new to fly fishing in the niagara area. I would like to know where there are some decent streams in the area or close by. I learned in London and have fished mostly on the Maitland but have since moved back to niagara and would like to get back into it.

I'm not asking for secret spots or anything like that, just to be pointed in a general direction.

If you don't wish to post it here PMs are always welcome.

Thank you

Ok so I know I may catch some flak for asking this but i'm new to fly fishing in the niagara area. I would like to know where there are some decent streams in the area or close by. I learned in London and have fished mostly on the Maitland but have since moved back to niagara and would like to get back into it.

I'm not asking for secret spots or anything like that, just to be pointed in a general direction.

If you don't wish to post it here PMs are always welcome.

Thank you

well what are you looking for? you can get panfish and small bass in most streams in the niagara, but if your looking for trout your going to be more or so out of luck, so whatcha looking to get yourself into?

lol I guess I should have specified, I'm looking for trout. But even to get out for some bass on the fly would be fun.

If I have to drive an hour or so outside the area thats fine too, I did so when I lived in London.

well you can lock onto bass in jordan harbour, many of the creeks that run into lake ontario throughout niagara on the lake all the way past grimbsy, as for trout though, it will be hard, there isnt much of a inland trout fishery here, and the small bit that there is people are pretty tight lipped, maybe if you pm some people on here you might get a spot or two, but that will take some leg work and lots of searching

I know you said you fly fish. But by chance if you have a two handed switch or a Spey your options would grow. Like you can fish port Robinson for pike or bass, Jordan harbour for pile or bass and Chippewa creek for trout salmon Muskie and pike, also try driving to fort Erie people do fly fish up near the fort Erie bridge also the shore lines of Erie hold large small mouth bass and I wade and fish that as well. Good luck.

I know you said you fly fish. But by chance if you have a two handed switch or a Spey your options would grow. Like you can fish port Robinson for pike or bass, Jordan harbour for pile or bass and Chippewa creek for trout salmon Muskie and pike, also try driving to fort Erie people do fly fish up near the fort Erie bridge also the shore lines of Erie hold large small mouth bass and I wade and fish that as well. Good luck.

wait, did you just say the chippawa crick for trout and salmon? I've never heard that before.......

I've fished that water for years and years in the spring, summer and fall but have never ever seen trout in there.

not that I don't believe you. like I said, never seen or heard of it before

Correction Jordan harbour for trout and salmon and bass and like and Chippewa for bass pike and the ever so rare but there muskie

I'll have to try there. But I guess my best bet is to go further north and find some small streams up there.

Has anybody fished in and around the Grand? Are there any tribs there that may offer some decent trout fishing?

Upper Grand near Fergus can be pretty goddamn awesome if you know what you're doing.

My usual policy is to hunt down really good maps then go for a crop tour to check them out. Lots of looking, little fishing.

Nobody's gonna give away local trout streams on the interwebs anymore.

I was hoping there'd be some folks on here that would be willing to share a bit of info, even if it was a PM. But thank you to the folks who have shared, it's definitely a good start :)

if your going to fish jordan hollow/harbor for trout nd salmon just be careful the regs, it opens first day of inland trout opener, and it closes sept 30th, you might be able to get a salmon on the fly before it becomes a sanctuary, but very few actually make it up anywhere past the bridge, but it all depends on the years rain levels ect,

Grand is about the closest. Go a little bit further to places like the saugeen and beaver rivers. Or if your like me in welland I head to pa. World class trout fishing only 4 5 hrs away. And you can fish year round.

Upper Grand near Fergus can be pretty goddamn awesome if you know what you're doing.

My usual policy is to hunt down really good maps then go for a crop tour to check them out. Lots of looking, little fishing.

Nobody's gonna give away local trout streams on the interwebs anymore.

The upper grand river between Elora and fergus is single barbless hook and catch and release only. No bait fishing in that section of water. The river is a delicate area and gets alot of fishing pressure. Fly fishing is the norm.

The upper grand river between Elora and fergus is single barbless hook and catch and release only. No bait fishing in that section of water. The river is a delicate area and gets alot of fishing pressure. Fly fishing is the norm.

Ya I want to get back into fly fishing and I release most of what I catch. Are these areas marked on site or is it in the regs?

It is stated in the regs. They go by road names and numbers so look at a map before heading up or take one with you. Also guys will get there early to" lock down" a pool they want. If they plan on fishing first light at 7 am they could be there at 5 to make sure they get the pool. Low holing an all the other bs that goes on while steelheading is definitely not acceptable. Make sure to communicate with other anglers.

If I was fishing a run and you stepped in just below me to fish the same run you would have "low holed me" I find it is horrid while steelheading for guys to just step in. If I get to a run and am the only one there I usually start in the head and work my way to the tail. There have been way to many times I'm between the "head" and the "gut" of a pool/run still working towards the tail, and I have someone step in. 15' down stream of me and hunker down. No hello, no consideration, no "hey do you mind if I fish here" just walk in and hunker down. Yes I know I don't own the river but just a common courtesy.

I've noticed that there seems to be little in the way of "pool etiquette" these days. On Atlantic Salmon rivers, an angler is expected to wait his/her turn at the head of the pool, and when that turn comes up, should move downstream a step after fishing each cast. Upon reaching the tail, if the angler wants to fish the pool again, he/she should then move back to the head and again wait for a turn. I know that method isn't the best for steelhead rivers, but it is a considerate and workable approach to sharing the resource: if only we could get more people to abide by something like that, angling would be much more pleasurable.

I completely agree. This goes more for swinging but even when I am pinning I like to work runs like that. I come across pools that guys are fishing. If its a pool that I feel I can fit in without hindering someone else's spot I ask if they mind if I fish with them and then if the answer is yes I ask where they would like for me to put in, above or below them. Some people prefer different sections, so they're there first they can pick where they would like to concentrate there efforts

i pretty much always ask if they mind if i fish near them, il strike up a convo, the same old, hows the day been, what are you using, anyone else catching and then go from there, generally i have no problem and am told they dont mind, one problem i encountered was i was float fishing for steel, i had my own little section and us float fishers keep our space so we can drift problem free, then i had a fly fisher go 5 feet down stream from me and effectively cut my drift in half, im not one to say something though, if you have the ignorance to do something like this then il let you take the spot and i will go where others arnt,

It really is just common sense. If you feel like you might be in the way .....You probably are. Always communicate with the other anglers around you.

One particular annoyance I see often is guys who wade into the water you are fishing for no good reason at all. There is a perfectly good bank behind them and no obstruction in front, even a novice could cast bank to bank and yet these chumps feel the need to get into the water and stir everything up. Not only that, they don't do it calmly and quietly, then they take a few drifts and then say "Well no fish here!" ......Well there sure aren't now.

Unless I am fishing a wide trib, have to wade out in order to cast around an obstruction, catch a drift I couldn't otherwise, get to the opposite bank or am landing a fish, I stay out of the water. And I definately never wade downstream through someone elses drift!

Stupid that I have to say it but I see it all the time.

It really is just common sense. If you feel like you might be in the way .....You probably are. Always communicate with the other anglers around you.

One particular annoyance I see often is guys who wade into the water you are fishing for no good reason at all. There is a perfectly good bank behind them and no obstruction in front, even a novice could cast bank to bank and yet these chumps feel the need to get into the water and stir everything up. Not only that, they don't do it calmly and quietly, then they take a few drifts and then say "Well no fish here!" ......Well there sure aren't now.

Unless I am fishing a wide trib, have to wade out in order to cast around an obstruction, catch a drift I couldn't otherwise, get to the opposite bank or am landing a fish, I stay out of the water. And I definately never wade downstream through someone elses drift!

Stupid that I have to say it but I see it all the time.

Well as they say, common sense isn't so common any more. I may be new to fly fishing but not standing in the way of someone else's drift seems pretty straight forward lol. Thanks for the tip though, I guess these days you never know what people are thinking.

Archived