What Size Trolling Motor?

Gregg

I have just bought my first fishing kayak. Still setting it up, but cant decide what size trolling motor to get.

Nucanoe weighs 77lbs plus all my tackle etc. Will a 30 lb thrust motor be ok, or should i look at something higher? I assume there are pro's and con's to having a more powerful motor, ie higher current draw per hour etc.

Any comments/recommendations will be great, as i dont want to purchase a motor, and then have to buy another one after a few weeks

Thanks.

GrumpyT

i would go for something in the upper 40's low 50's...not sure how much weight difference between a 36 lb and say a 52 lb thrust would be. you should look more at tm with variable speed rather than 5 or so speed settings.this way it gives you better control...the battery is going to weigh about 40 pounds or so...you will need a group 27 most likely, might be able to get by on group 24..with smaller 30 lb thrust.I always say, better to have more power in case you need it , at least it is there for the time you want/need it.as long as the weights are not great in difference. make sure you fuse your positive line off your battery so not to fry the TM as well.

Thanks for the reply. See they are selling a 55lb thrust TM with a 26 inch shaft in the USA.

Putting an inline fuse is a great idea. Will most definitely do that. I am firm believer of having power/ current to spare so you don't get into trouble.

Have a great day!

Wow,You guy's are rigging up a 55 to a yak.I have no true knowledge on the subject of yak's but i had a old 40 minnkota on a 18ft heavy fiberglass bass boat & that was plenty.My gut instinct would be 30 would be more then enough,unless your pulling a skier,lol!

• 5 weeks later...

Curious as to why such a heavy thrust troll on a yak, is it to get from fish able point A to B, or trolling, I have zero exp with kayaks and not making fun, just looking for some education on the topic.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey ChefMick.

Good question. I was looking to see what was available on line, and ran into the 55 lb thrust motor in the USA.

My kayak is very heavy, and I am also not the smallest chap around. I did not want to be left under powered, especially when going out with a lot of equipment.

I am new to kayak fishing, and its very different from having 2 x 115 hp motors on a sea going fishing boat.

Still gathering info before i purchase a motor.

• 4 months later...

I don't have any yak experience but I've used my 36 Lb thrust on a Coleman Crawdad and it's not bad. Obviously not breaking any speed records but when you're basically on a floating door what do you expect. My Crawdad weights around 125 lbs and is about the least aerodynamic shape you could get for a boat so I think high 30's low 40's would be lots. Like others said, the bigger the motor, the bigger battery you will need.

Archived