March/april Fly Tying Contest!

cdnfishguy11

Hey NFN!

Time for the start of our 3rd contest!

This months theme was chosen by last months winner, Coachman!

His exact words....

"Thanks for the votes in the last contest. It was a fun competition with some great flies and a tight race.

For this month's theme, I've chosen Salmon flies. Any Salmon fly of your own creation, in the classic (full-dressed featherwing), or traditional (hairwing or Spey) style. You can use an existing pattern for inspiration, but it should be distinctly yours.

Good luck and have fun!"

Contest closes April 30th at 8 pm....

Good luck everyone!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, before you get started, a few words of encouragement here. Don't let the subject matter intimidate you. Yes, classic, "Full-dress" Featherwing patterns are very challenging to tie. But the hairwing patterns that are now in widespread use these days are really very simple. All of you already possess the skills to tie most of them. Here are some examples of hairwings that anyone with basic skills can tie. These are NOT entries, by the way, as all of them are flies that I tied some time ago.

Black Ghost Hairwing:

blackghost1.gif

Royal Coachman

RCoachman3.gif

Some Undertakers, Polar Shrimp and Black Ghosts along with a few of my own patterns.

40353_422609515263_4063940_n.jpg

At the other end of the spectrum you have Classics like these (from Google, not my tying). If you want to try it, go for it!

Green Highlander

highlander.jpg

Lady Amherst

fotw41.jpg

Remember that this is for fun. I doubt there'll be too many of the Classic style flies tied, but the hairwing patterns are a snap! Enjoy!

Chef, there are many theories as to what salmon flies represent. Some, such as shrimp patterns are self-evident. Most patterns though are just flashy items that have proven effective in provoking a strike. They do not usually imitate any sort of actual food. Atlantic salmon do not feed when in spawning mode, so strikes are probably just reflexive. As most salmon flies are fished wet, it is unlikely that the Lady Amherst represents anything that actually lives.

Nice coachman. Is that peacock feather on the first one? Im just itching for the petting zoo near me to open. They have a load of differant birds there...im gonna talk to someone and scoop me a bunch.i know they have a good variety of birds. What hooks are you tying on are they spey hooks?

Nice coachman. Is that peacock feather on the first one? Im just itching for the petting zoo near me to open. They have a load of differant birds there...im gonna talk to someone and scoop me a bunch.i know they have a good variety of birds. What hooks are you tying on are they spey hooks?

Today my family took our son to Niagara for his birthday, on the way up hwy 20, just past Bismark we stopped at a farm to but some fresh eggs, I told the farmer it was my sons bday and he gave him2 peacock plumes with huge eyes. He has one as a pet, the molt every year and he keeps the plumes, he would most likely sell them to tiers pretty cheap.

Took a shot at a couple tonight...learning as I go, and reading up on things. Sorry the first ones a little blurry.....

20130328_190058_zpscf724f89.jpg

20130328_183313_zps5df20100.jpg

Nice work Dave! I can definitely see those flies producing for you. Should work well for steel and Lake O salmon too.

Here's a shrimp fly I just cooked up. Wish I had something better than my cell phone camera to work with.

Photo0360_zps1278db78.jpg

That shrimp is cool......looks so real. The jungle Male Appendage has so many uses....what did you use for the tail?

The tail is just a bunch of golden pheasant tippets. I have three or four golden pheasant necks and capes here. The body feathers are a beautiful golden orange with black bars, and the crest feathers are a shiny gold that you can't match with any other feather. I also have two jungle Male Appendage capes but, as you can see, they aren't in the best condition.

And that "correction" is hilarious.

hey guys sorry I haven't been posting much lately. I'm loving the tying contests and I love seeing everyones progress as well. Here are a few i whipped up the other night that will work well on most of our rivers when the water is low and clear. Can't wait to fish these up in the Soo rapids as well for atlantics... :)

I will post some more when i get the time to do some more tying....cheers guys

craig

885330_10151501177661661_1943853899_o_zp

Nicely done Craiger! These are just the ticket. And you're right: salmon tend to strike short in low-water conditions, and tying to mid-shank or so is a traditional remedy for that problem. In fact, for a low-water fly, I'd probably go just a tad shorter still.

One thing to note however, is that while in Ontario, these flies are fine, in most jurisdictions, you are not permitted to fish for Atlantic Salmon with any form of weight on your fly. So if you're headed to Quebec or the Atlantic Provinces, leave the weighted salmon flies behind. :)

Archived