Can't Target Musky With Conservation License?

MuskyHunter905

I heard that you are not allowed to target musky with a conservation fishing lisence just wondering if anyone knows if this is true or not.

I have always gotten the conservation because I do not really keep fish. I am more for catch and release. Especially with Musky obviously because you cannot keep them unless over 54 inches with a sports license where I fish wich is in the lower Niagara River. Under conservation it says you cannot keep any. Personally I do not understand why you would want to keep one at all, its an amazing creature and you should respect and release it. But thats not the point...

I just heard that you cannot target them(musky rod, lures,etc) with a conservation license, but I just thought that you just couldnt keep one.

Just wondering because I need to renew my license and if it is infact against the law to target them with conservation then I will be getting a sport. I have no interest in keeping one but I dont want to get in trouble for just trying to fish for one.. even thought I have never seen any kind of law person where I go... ever. But I still dont like to break the law.

So if anyone knows anything let me know.

Thanks alot.

Keep the Musky alive !

Catch and release always.

You can target musky when in season on a Conservation licence.

Conservation Licence is a reduced catch and possession limits ideal for anglers who want to live release the majority of fish caught. under this licence, anglers must immediately release Musky, Atlantic Salmon and Aurora Trout.

My take on this may not be too popular , but I believe when fishing for musky , with either license , barbless hooks should be used if the intent is to release them . Musky lures can have very large hooks which can damage them about the mouth/jaw/gills etc . An angler with only a conservation license can catch all the skis he wants , day after day , & I wish I could say all of the released fish will live to see another day ......

I know a guy who has done well over the years catching musky in a local spot & he showed me his tackle box full of musky lures , all hooks were crimped . I landed a ski for him that day , & the hook(s) easily slipped out of the mouth .

It is good to see how most of the carp anglers take care landing , weighing and releasing their catches .......others could learn from these anglers .

I know there are other factors about c & r , like using the right gear to bring in the fish at a reasonable time to avoid stress & lactic buildup etc etc but that is one for more research & very hard to get anglers to agree on........ :read::blahblah1::Gonefishing:

There you go again ... YOU POT STIRRER!

It's actually enjoyable to see the group AGREE to DISAGREE at times.

lol

In all seriousness here's my Question related to the topic: (Think it has been discussed before, but not 100% Certain)

I have a conservation license (and have so for many years).

This year with the reduced limits (Which I agree with) it got me thinking about what the LEGALITY (as per MNR regulations) would be if this happened -

Catch a MORTALY WOUNDED FISH that has a ZERO LIMIT

What do you do?

a) just let it go back (Knowing it's going belly over and dead)

b)Keep it

I believe they actually want us to release the fish anyway. Is that correct?

* It is fairly rare for me, but there definitely are a few times when a fish will not survive - despite best efforts. (VERY RARE)

and

If you have decided to KEEP a fish that day (Which only has a ONE FISH LIMIT) are you then "Obligated" to stop fishing for that species considering there "MAY BE" the possibility of landing a MORTALLY WOUNDED other one?

You can continue to catch & release after you have your limit.The conservation officer stoped me ice fishing up north & i had my 2 fish limit(lakers) on the ice.He asked if i intended to keep any more & i showed him my tube jig that i made barbless.I said it was all for C&R fun for the rest of the afternoon & he had no issues with that.If i would have brought up a heavy bleeder i would have had issues.

Yup. If you're found by a CO to be in possession of a fish with zero limit, you can be fined, regardless of whether the fish stood 0% chance of surviving. Seems counterintuitive to me, but the rules are the rules.

Whether you have a conservation or sport fishing license, it doesn't matter. For instance, if the minimum length is say 52 inches for musky, what is the difference if you mortally wound a 40in fish on a conservation license or sport fishing license? Accidental mortality is part of the game, a percentage of released fish die.

You can continue to catch & release after you have your limit.The conservation officer stoped me ice fishing up north & i had my 2 fish limit(lakers) on the ice.He asked if i intended to keep any more & i showed him my tube jig that i made barbless.I said it was all for C&R fun for the rest of the afternoon & he had no issues with that.If i would have brought up a heavy bleeder i would have had issues.

Some CO's are more lenient than others, and it's ultimately their discretion. It could have gone the other way though.

Ok I was wrong about the second point (sorry justasnag). You don't have to stop angling for that species once you've retained it's limit. Just have to release right away. This is from the MNR site:

LIMITS

Question Re: Catch and Release fishing
I'm a catch and release fisher, if I go out fishing today and release all the fish I catch do I have to stop fishing once I catch my limit?

Answer:
No, there is no limit on the number of fish a person can catch and release in a day provided the season is open and the method of fishing is lawful. If a fish is caught and immediately released at boat-side, or netted and returned to the water as soon as the hooks are removed, it does not count as part of the daily limit as the fish has not been retained.

There is however a limit on the number of fish that a person may catch and retain during the day. If a fish is caught and kept in a live-well, bucket or on a stringer temporarily that fish has been retained and is counted as part of a person's daily limit, even if that fish is later released where a larger fish is caught.

This concept also applies to fish which are caught and eaten or given away; fish which are caught and eaten as part of a shore lunch, or given away are part of the daily catch limit and affect how many fish a person may catch and retain later in the same day.

Question Re: Daily Catch
If I went fishing for bass yesterday and kept my limit can I keep the bass that I catch today?

Answer:
How many fish a person may keep depends on how many fish of that species they already have in their possession. Keep in mind that fish limits, both daily limits and possession limits, can be either about species (like yellow perch or northern pike) or a combination of species (like largemouth and smallmouth bass together or walleye and sauger together).

Possession limits are the number of fish a person can have in their possession in any location whether the fish are live in a live-well or in a refrigerator freezer at home or at a fishing lodge.

If all of the bass that were caught yesterday (a limit) are still in your possession today you may not catch and retain any more bass. You may practice catch and release fishing for bass as long as you immediately return any bass you catch to the water you caught them from.

Typically fish are out of your possession once they have been released, eaten or given away. Generally, the daily catch and retain limit is the same number of fish as the possession limit.

Well Blair,

good questions, but with a 0 limit, OOS or Mortally wounded fish it has to go back.

Simcoe has no season for Herring (which were caught a lot this year) Someone thought that the regulation would cover them as you are not allowed to let fish spoil that cost him $305.

when you have your limit YOUR ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO STOP FISHING, you can continue to fish but must release any fish over your limit (You never know what you will catch) But you can not target fish with no open season (Sturgeon)

THANKS (Guys) ... always lots of "Hypotheticals in the Regs" and real life

I've personally only ever had ONE SINGLE ISSUE with a CONSERVATION OFFICER in my entire life.

That was out west in one of the National Parks. (BC)

At the time I had my Alberta & BC fishing license(s).

Never even HEARD of a NATIONAL PARK LICENSE (Not pleading ignorance...lol)

Ran into the Biggest DICK HEAD of all time.

Got to the point of no longer being polite (Which is always the best policy).... Told him to give me the DAM TICKET and buzz off.

He smiled and said I had to go to court with my brother.

2 months later we go to the Court Date in Fairmount (2 hrs out of Calgary and a day off work)

The PROSECUTOR is the biggest "You know what in the universe".... Was asking the Judge to give me & brother $25 k fines.

I thought I was in BIZZARO LAND.

Finally got up in front of the Judge.

Reasonable man.

He belated the Prosecutor, Gave us a $50 dollar fine..... The prosecutor spoke up, then the judge lowered the fine to $10 dollars.

Since that day, I have NEVER HAD a PROBLEM with any CO's and don't forsee any reason in the future to have one.

However, LESSON LEARNED:

That if I do meet the Wrong CO -> I will follow my RIGHTS and SIMPLY GO TO COURT if I have too!

*SMILES*

This is 99.9% about ethics. Myself, if you spent a small fortune on gear ... whats the point to not getting a sport license to ensure you dony have to toss a floater back.

Basically , if one wanted to feed themselves & family with fish very often , they could legally fill a freezer each week with many types of game fish and pan fish . If you like other species like suckers, carp , catfish & drums , you can fill another freezer to the brim .As Snags said , it's ethics , or in some cases , a way to chop the food bill , or in other cases, make money illegally . (smelts) :rolleyes: . Now we have advanced electronics to help us achieve full quotas or c & r until our arms falls off . And we also have limit reductions , slot sizes and no targeting some species implemented over the years . I trust the MNR is doing its best to keep a balance check of our fisheries.

From the reg's summary:

If you catch a fish after reaching the daily catch and retain or possession limit for that species, the fish must be released immediately back to the water. If the limit is zero, anglers may practice catch and release only and any fish caught must be released immediately back into the water in a manner that does not harm the fish.

REMEMBER: It is illegal to destroy, or to allow to spoil, fish which have been caught and which are suitable for food.

I wouldn't stop fishing for muskie due to having a conservation license, because in most bodies of water there are minimum sizes anyway. So regardless of the license, if you kill a fish under the size limit while targeting legal sized fish, no license allows you to keep it.

We have all hit the nail on the head with various points and as we can also see there are flaws in the regulations.

NOT LETTING FISH SPOIL THOSE WOULD BE THE LEGALLY CAUGHT IN SEASON FISH. EVERYTHING ELSE GOES BACK FLOATERS OR NOT.

about the only way to not catch a heavy bleeder, under sized (fish that will die) or an OOS mortally wounded fish " WOULD BE TO NOT FISH AT ALL. ( THAT'S NOT A FAIR OPTION)

live to fish and continue to be ethical.

TIGHT LINES

I am a c&r angler. The only fish I keep are when I hook a fish deep. So less then a handful a year. I have a sporting licence for that reason. I know the cost of a licence is nothing to the amount of money I've spent on gear. And If that bit of extra money can help the fisheries in some sort of way, be it extra COs or education etc I don't think twice

Great topic some very interesting debates here to a question I've always struggled with myself. Very rare to have a mortally wounded fish on the line but good to discuss these hypatheticals incase. Ran into two co's myself on the hard water this year and they were both fairly reasonable good to see them out

There

Archived