Battery For Minn Kota?

Lex

Just purchased a minn kota 30lbs thrust for my yak. New to working with these motors and haven't purchased a battery yet. I know I need a deep cycle but also want to keep weight to a minimum. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a battery and the kind of running time I would get from it. Any help appreciated.

Well, the heavier the battery the longer run time you'll get. A group 31 is one of the bigger ones and it weighs somewhere around 60-70lbs. 110 to 150 amp hours so you could get about 2-3 hours of constant run time if you're going at full juice.

If you use it more for positioning than actually trolling, you could do probably a full day on the water without running out of charge. I'm sure in a kayak even a group 29 would do just fine.

Make sure you put in a circuit breaker or fuse. Don't just wire it directly to the battery.

Thanks fishkid, I wanted to ask about putting in a fuse/circuit breaker. I'll be honest I have no idea how to do that, would you or someone be able to explain to me how to do this and where to buy the parts needed. Would be much appreciated.

No you don't need a breaker, but any insurance on equipment worth a few hundred that only costs a few extra bucks to put in is well worth it. Believe me, there's been several times out on the water that I've popped my circuit breaker.

Look up the model that you have or search through the manual and you can find out what size minn kota recommends for that particular motor. Since it's a 12 volt I would guess it's going to be 40 or 50 amps. I would suggest a circuit breaker for the simple reason that IF it trips, you can reset it where as a fuse has to be replaced which can be kind of tricky on the water, especially in a kayak. A circuit breaker also gives you a form of disconnect for when you aren't using it. You can also run extra wire and mount the breaker where it's easily accessable to you.

If you decide to put one in shoot me a PM when you find out what amperage you need and I'll tell you exactly what you need to get and how to do it. It'll cost about $50-60 to do it right.

Because when u go from off to high it will always surge breakers are to protect from an over amperage condition which unless batt is on charger or power source you shuldnt ever get. Cars have them on everything because they have a charging circuit

Just seems like a waste of valuable money best spent on tackle lol

• 2 weeks later...

have a 14' cuda with bass yak 30 lb min cota and run it on a 35 amp amg battery aprox 22 lbs. Lasts aprox 100 min

If you go to bass yaks web site there is info available what you can expect at what speed per battery amps.

I will be buying another 35 amp battery this year to double up the distance I can travel when required.

This is doable if wired correctly I believe parallel or is it series, will worry about it when I have the new battery

lots of info on the web re this subject. I bought the battery off ebay for $66 had it shipped to a depo on other side of the railway bridge in NF NY

hope this is help full

Archived