Dunnville Cats

bass2mouth

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IS there still a launch right by the dam? If not how long of a trip is it from maitland with a 9.9 or 50 hp? never put a boat in over there anything to look out for as far as rocks or anything? I tried searching this but no answers

Its at least a few minutes from maitland to the dam with a 50. A few more with a 9.9. lol. Nothing to worry about though. That stretch of river is pretty clear of obstacles.

I was thinking of makeral, but everyone ive talked to advised sucker meat is the deal on the Grand. One of these days im gonna take my boy to red hill creek, we can catch chub and suckers all day long so I can fill my freezer, I have a feeling I'll get hooked fishin' the Grand river cats, like I did on the Ausable river when I was younger.

I was thinking of makeral, but everyone ive talked to advised sucker meat is the deal on the Grand. One of these days im gonna take my boy to red hill creek, we can catch chub and suckers all day long so I can fill my freezer, I have a feeling I'll get hooked fishin' the Grand river cats, like I did on the Ausable river when I was younger.

you fisshed the ausable in michigan? ever fish it for steel? its one place in michigan that i have been dying to fish..

i went to a creek today and seen plenty of suckers,. sad i cant post it since its a sanctuary though, woulda been a great way to get you your cat bait

Not MC, the Ausable river that runs through southen ontario, and mouths out the Huron in Port Franks, I have a cottage there right across from the Pinery Provincial Park, Its a very wide and very slow moving river, I dont know about steel, as I just got into chromehunting in the last 7 years but when i was younger we used to fish it for bullheads, carp, pike, and occasionally bass.

Got the big Skunk yesterday, however hooked up with rickky33 for the 1st time, had some great conversation and scouted out a few potential new spots.

water was 11 C. still, so I will not be heading back to the grand until the temps are above 13 or 14 C.

I talked to one of the derby anglers at around 2 p.m. he said their boat hadnt got any yet, but a few boats manged get a few., i think final weigh in was 5 p.m. so I dont know if he got into them.

Driving to the grand in the moning, two deer dashed out of the bush about 50 yards in front of my car, and later I saw a ring necked pheasant, add in the chance to fish with another NFN member made the day a success.

Rumour has it there's a 29 lber holding first place in the month long derby. Think its safe to say that pig will win it this year. Ive been out a handful of times with a half pound channel and a big sucker as the only action I've had so far...dunno where the big kitties are hiding yet.

Water temps are increasing on the Grand daily, and water flow is up to 350 in some areas, I think after these few days of rain and the higher temps they will be in full swing very soon.

EDIT:

Also the temp' data shows that the river over the last few days is generally at its warmest between 2 - 6 p.m.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/regions/central/pub/habitat-on/03-eng.htm

Archived