Yakin For Perch

GMGraham

Anyone know of any good spots to get Yellow Perch around Lake Erie (or any where safe to eat them in Niagara) in a kayak? Has anyone ever tried to fish around Point Abino with a kayak?

i know i have seen reports before of people canoeing and kayaking out of abino and crystal beach ect for perch, a recent poster said he paddled out for an hour, and then had to do the hour paddle back after 3 hours of nonstop fishing. so you can get to them, but use extreme caution, bring all safety equipment, make sure you keep track of the wind throughout the day and if there is a slight breeze then maybe head in, i know erie can get pretty bad in a short amount of time. if you do plan on going out, maybe do a safety sheet, how long you plan to be out, where you will be out, when you plan to be back and possible other places you would be, ect

Thats some good advice. My main concern out there would be the wind change for sure. Will have to keep my eye on the forcasts and plan before attempting.

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno. Great Lakes in a kayak is a real low-bullshit endeavor. You have a good ocean kayak, and are comfy in swells?

You'd best know what you're doing, be in damn good shape, and please, please, don't go alone.

I'd strongly suggest Rondeau or Long Point, or other small waterbodies.

(If you're a lifelong kayaker, forgive the above, I dunno your level of expertise.)

If you are going to head out into one of the big lakes or any big water there are a few important things you should take along with you. First is a marine radio, one that monitors the NOAA weather broadcast. Second is at the very least a compass preferably a GPS. Third thing isn't something to bring but let some one know where you are launching and the general area you will be fishing. Also let them know approximately what time you will be back. Take lots of water. The little things keep you safe.

Welland canal has lots of perch, ask perchman, they are fine to eat and the water is deep but safe. That is another option.

Yes, I launch off of lincon, there is a launch on the north side. here is a canoe and kayak center at the end of thorold rd, nice docks there, I do mean the old canal, sorry. I have also carried the kayak down the shore from in front of E.S.Fox and notre dame parking lots, Steep and no dock but that is the beauty of a kayak, you can launch pretty much anywhere you can park...

Thanks everyone. Lots of great tips, I havn't been out much lately due to weather and work. I managed to take the kayak up to our cottage and try some new accessories I'd added (safer to test things up there). But I'll be getting out more during the next couple of weeks. I am in pretty good shape (active, play sports, good balance) and have been paddling for years (mostly canoe) for those of you concerned about safety. I would only dare to go out into the great lakes on a very calm morning. My next outing will likely be the welland river though, I've seen some good video posted by Italo Labignan from Canadian Sportfishing catching walleye and have read recent reports that the fish are pretty healthy in there (I was suprised to read that). I'd like to try the upper niagara river as well, and another trip back to the grande river.

If I get out soon I'll try to post some pictures.

Good luck, If you want company pm me... Also biggest difference between the canoe and kayak is the stroke, do not dip the paddle far in like with a canoe, you will get wet, wide and shallow. Good Luck

Mike

Archived