Fishing Kayaks?!

Jerkbait00

Hi, I was recently introduced to the world of fishing kayaks. I was curious if anyone had any personal experience with them. I was hoping for some feedback in regards to brand, style or even a good store to choose. I was planning on just going to Bass Pro Shop. Ive done some research and think Ill go with the sit on top style. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

There is no better way to get on the water IMO! You are as close to water level as you can get with out actually being in the water. Kayaks are quite and you can sneak up without scaring the fish away. they also have very shallow drafts so you can paddle in very shallow water. I only need about 6 inches of water for mine. The best one for you is going to depend on you budget. How much do you want to spend. You can get into a used kayak for $200 or less or if you go all out you could spent upwards of $3000. The one I have cost about $450 several years ago but I have been want to upgrade for quite awhile. I have a Perception Sundance 9.5ft. It does very well for the most part. The only reason I would upgrade is because I want one that was actually designed for fishing that has more room for storage or maybe one I could stand up in.

If I was to upgrade this is the one I would want!

http://freedomhawkkayaks.com/freedom_12.php

Hobie also has a nice Mirage drive system that allows you to paddle hands free but they are pricey.

Thanks yakfish. Those tri-pod ones are badass. I have a car and will require a roofrack si I have to be careful of size.Man I miss truck lol.

Price wise I was thinking about $600ish for an actual fishing yak (entry level). Possibly something like this http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS12T-SitOnTop-Angler-Kayak-Sand/product/11081905012225/.

I love my kayaks. I prefer fishing from them over just about anything else. I've got three now. The best thing you can do is head out to some of the test paddles that the retailers put on. My favorite is the Native watercraft Slayer 14.5 that I picked up this year. It's got he most comfortable seat I've come across. Try out as many as you can and it will help you find the one that is just right for you.

I sat in a Native watercraft Slayer today for the first time. I was very impressed! That seat is very comfortable. How is it to stand up in while fishing? That thing has a ton of room inside. Can you mount a transducer inside that little box up front?

Yes that is where I have mine mounted. I bought a dry box that fits inside that hatch for my battery and I have the transducer mounted with duct seal putty. They really do have the most comfortable seat.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone here own a Freedom? I've been looking at them but they seem to be a handful for one person.

Not known as a good paddling yak but if distance isn't a concern and fly fishing is, I've heard they are OK. Lots of better standing models out there.

• 2 months later...

I started with a 9.5 ft ocean capers sit on top and found it did not have enough storage room. I ended getting a 13.5 wilderness ride and it was the best investment I ever made. Super stable, tons of room, tracks ok. Only drawback is the weight - 85lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys im tossing between the tarpon 120 and the old town predetor can anyone chime in on eather of these models . I am 6'1 210 pounds it will be my first yak purchase. Also looked at the ride 115 but figured the tarpon would be better seeing as its 20lbs lighter but have heard the ride is more stable for standing.

Where does everyone buy angler kayaks from? I know bass pro has them but I am hoping someone knows of a hidden gem on this side of lake Ontario. Closer to Niagara. Not looking forward to my first kayak on the roof to be on the screaming Toronto highways. I seen that Native Watercraft and that is a real beaut.

I also am looking for something around $500 to be a start up kayak. Currently have my eyes on the Acsend FS12T - Olive from basspro. I already have most of the gear for rigging my kayak, just need the kayak now! Whats a popular paddle people are using these days, bending branches?

Sail in burlington sells them also grand river kayak in dunville, or there is gander mountian , dicks sporting goods , and a new cabelas not sure if its open yet

Where does everyone buy angler kayaks from? I know bass pro has them but I am hoping someone knows of a hidden gem on this side of lake Ontario. Closer to Niagara. Not looking forward to my first kayak on the roof to be on the screaming Toronto highways. I seen that Native Watercraft and that is a real beaut.

I also am looking for something around $500 to be a start up kayak. Currently have my eyes on the Acsend FS12T - Olive from basspro. I already have most of the gear for rigging my kayak, just need the kayak now! Whats a popular paddle people are using these days, bending branches?

You are way further ahead to buy a good used kayak than a cheap low end one. Kijiji always has good finds but they will be harder to come by as it gets closer to the spring. As for cartopping, you best get that figured out before thinking about buying because you should be able to transport your yak at all speeds, traffic and weather.

Aquabound and Werner make good paddles.

So what is your definition of a low end kayak? Kijiji does not produce solid results for me IMO but maybe for others it works. For a low wage person who wants to start up, considering a high end kayak is hard! haha I have all the transportation accessories necessary, not going to cause any accidents! :)

Thanks for the info in advance

low end yaks - Pelican, Ascend, Riot. And don't get me wrong, they all work fine if you pay attention to water, weather, and wind but the price you pay for a new one of those is about the same as a good used yak. With most used yaks the owner may throw in fishfinder, paddle, pfd, rod holders, accessory mounts etc

You have to keep checking Kijiji daily, and be ready to grab a good deal when they come along because they won't last two weeks of dithering. It's worth it in the medium term though, as opposed to wasting your money on something like a cheap Pelican & Ascend you might use one season then can't unload for half of what you paid for it. Getting a decent used boat, if you don't care for it you can sell it the next season for what you paid or close to it, and even might get a paddle & PFD thrown in the bargain.

Sail in Burlington actually has a good selection of boats in stock, and sells Native's. There's a canoe & kayak shop in St.Catherine's that I always forget the name of. There's also Beach Marine in Hamilton under the Lift Bridge, they usually have a few cheap used boats kicking around.

Archived