Conservation Area Hunting

bwizb

Does anyone have any good experiences hunting in the conservation areas around here? I'm new to hunting and am looking for a spot to hunt locally. I see that the Niagara Conservation area's allow hunting deer and such, and was just wondering if it is worth it to hunt there. I was going to apply for the blind lottery for the begining of duck season as well. Any information/tips/help for a new hunter would be much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been lurking around this forum for a long time and am happy to finally have something to contribute.

Last year was my first season hunting I and got out to NPCA properties about a dozen times. I went after waterfowl and small game, and was successful for both. The properties can be busy, especially the first couple weeks of the season but usage slowed down as the season progressed. Based on my work schedule I was able to get out some weeknights and several times had the properties to myself.

Fortunately I was able to join a group in Haldimand County for the controlled deer hunt and didn't try the NPCA properties. I have a hunch that during the 2 weeks of the controlled hunt it would be really busy. I did see signs of deer hunters during the archery season but don't have any personal experience.

The other guys I talked to at the access points were always courteous, and most days I hunted I would see the same trucks. But as with all public land it can be pretty dirty. Lots of shells, Tims cups, water bottles etc., I carried out more garbage this year than game, but I was successful.

Lately the group of guys I have been hunting with have helped me secure private land, but I look forward to heading to the NPCA properties this fall. Please feel free to PM me for more info, or if you are interested in hooking up for a hunt!

I've been lurking around this forum for a long time and am happy to finally have something to contribute.

Last year was my first season hunting I and got out to NPCA properties about a dozen times. I went after waterfowl and small game, and was successful for both. The properties can be busy, especially the first couple weeks of the season but usage slowed down as the season progressed. Based on my work schedule I was able to get out some weeknights and several times had the properties to myself.

Fortunately I was able to join a group in Haldimand County for the controlled deer hunt and didn't try the NPCA properties. I have a hunch that during the 2 weeks of the controlled hunt it would be really busy. I did see signs of deer hunters during the archery season but don't have any personal experience.

The other guys I talked to at the access points were always courteous, and most days I hunted I would see the same trucks. But as with all public land it can be pretty dirty. Lots of shells, Tims cups, water bottles etc., I carried out more garbage this year than game, but I was successful.

Lately the group of guys I have been hunting with have helped me secure private land, but I look forward to heading to the NPCA properties this fall. Please feel free to PM me for more info, or if you are interested in hooking up for a hunt!

Thanks for the info. I may take you up on your offer! Cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I"m a new hunter in the area too and have been hunting on the NPCA land. So far I've had almost no luck, other than a few squirrels and some doves I haven't been able to harvest anything. I see lots of deer though and some turkeys, I just haven't attempted to hunt them yet. Hoping to also get into waterfowl soon but am looking for people to join up with on that as I'm not a fan of going out on the water on my own. If anyone has their NPCA permit and wants to hook up for a hunt sometime PM me, I'm always game :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am really considering getting the npca permit this year as i have not been able to find land to hunt turkey. My only concern is hunting around big crowds is not appealing to me and can be dangerous. Dose it get really busy for turkey? What npca propertys can turkey be found at ?

I am really considering getting the npca permit this year as i have not been able to find land to hunt turkey. My only concern is hunting around big crowds is not appealing to me and can be dangerous. Dose it get really busy for turkey? What npca propertys can turkey be found at ?

If you go to the NPCA website and go through the available areas to hunt...they will list what you are allowed to hunt there. Some areas also have restrictions on what days of the week you can hunt as well.

You can duck hunt Binbrook without the permit.. only certain days though

Waterfowl Hunt

A controlled waterfowl hunt starts at the end of September and runs on Mondays and Saturdays until the second week in December, from 5 AM to 1 PM. Ten hunting blinds are available (lottery draw for first two weeks of season). Contact Binbrook Conservation Area or the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority for details.

Pretty sure you still need a NPCA permit though..

Archived