What's On Your Vice These Days...fall Is Nigh Gents

CCfly

If you saw Joe P tie then you must have seen how big his fingers are - it gives us all hope to do a good job at this craft!

Have not seen him or ever met him, but I saw some of his work at the first cast in Guelph. His work is just amazing...cant wait to get to one of his sessions. BTW, you did a very nice job on the perch flies. I already took a couple of Bass on your flies as well. Only problem is when they get smashed around a bit they lose the lustre. Very simple but effective though...very nice

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the feedback. What part lost the luster? I tried a new epoxy on that batch and wonder if that was a bad idea? They work on trout too...

The epoxy was fine, just the polar fibre I guess that's what you used...breaks down, that and me picking weeds out of it. They work great though....matter of fact last week on my first cast with a fresh one of yours bang....fish on. Bass love that perch pattern. You did a great job on them. Wondering if they could be duplicated with buck tail? I have the same problem with clouser minnows made with polar....gets crappy when its been washed around a bit.

was tired and the eyes are going a little (like you Dave)

anyway here an effort at a version of the carron

mea culpa for the ribbing, but we're getting closer

carronSM.png?m=1376190486

cc

Cant see your pic CC ?? You were able to post pictures before? What did you do?

We had some good ones in our little fly swap. The perch are very life-like. Dave's leech rocks (I love leech patterns), and the topwater flies are definitely getting some use very soon.

I wanted to ask how to use the top water, I think big dog made that? The white one? Use a floating line and twitch it across the top with short strips? I was thinking of colouring it green like a frog?

Short strips; vary the timing between strips, but let the ripples from each subside before the next. Some folks will wait as long as a minute between twiches. The closer you are to cover, the better. You can also swim the fly slowly across the surface and provoke strikes.

I've been tying a bunch of freestyle salmon flies lately. No plan, no recipe, just grabbing materials and throwing them on the hook how I see fit. It's working pretty well and I enjoy doing it. Let's see if the fish feel the same.

With all this rain, the tribs will be full in no time I'm thinking.

my newest. It needs a name

85msTCE.jpg

my newest. It needs a name85msTCE.jpg

Very nice man....that looks too good to fish....lol. call it Christmas dinner....lol

Hahaha

No.....i meant like i would eat it. lol pink/blue pink/ white always good for steelies.

Spent last night rearranging the rec room to set up a desk for myself.

Tried a Troth Bullhead for the first time. I didn't have ostrich hurl, so I ended up using black marabou for the middle layer. The back is a bit lumpy for my liking, and the head needs some work, but I'll see how the bass like it and tie some more if they do.

photo.jpg

could pass for leech or frog, nice tie

Tried it out last night, got one hit (didn't get a good hookset on the fish, performed and excellent long distance release). Found out I need to add more weight, it only hovered a couple inches under the surface at the most. Great for a frog imitation, not so great for a bullhead imitation. I'm thinking a larger, heavier (cone head?), full black version may be a good fly for the lower grand. Large enough to stand out, dark enough to be seen, and it would simulate natural prey.

Archived