Advantages Between Centerpin And Fly Fishing?

perkins

Not even close to being the same. Both are drifting....thats about it. Watch a few videos online of each, then if you ask a specific question it could be better answered.

Fly fishig and float fishing are 2 different animals. Fly fishing is best achieved when you are site fishing or working smaller streams and trying to put a presentation ill be it top or bottom of the water column on top of a current break or under some brush. Float fishing on the other hand is best for straight long drifts to present a bait in the most natural of forms under a prefecty weighted float and shot pattern. There are other major differences also in the way a fly is tied to float fish vs the way it's tied to fly fish.

Fly fishing is more limited than spin fishing.

Pinning is more limited than fly fishing.

If you chase migratory trout, get thee a pin.

If you want supreme versatility, limited to your casting skills, accessing limited depths, get thee a fly rod.

If you want to pitch worms, troll deep, catch perch 50' down, and everything else, you have spinning rods.

Remember that the joy of fly fishing is the casting, and accurately imitating insects; the ideal is fishing dry flies to trout. It is addictive and incredible and a whole 'nother world. Other forms of fishing, casting is just what you have to do to get your lure out there, you don't have to think about it. Big learning curve, but the payoff is huge.

Too much hassle float fishing salmon with a pin, its fun but I just use my baitcaster and free run the spool tightening the tension control to control the drift. Baitcaster most versatile you can chuck spoons, float fish, or bottom bounce with one reel (diff rods tho)

Fly fishing can imitate bugs, minnows, leeches, crayfish, frogs, mice... Anything a fish would eat and at a wide range of depths (including surface) and various speeds of retrieve.

Any species you can think of should be possible.

Float fishing is a good way to get a natural drag free drift.

Not even close

except the looks of the reels from a distance I guess, nothing else.

Fly fishing achieved by the "fly line" which is the source of the weight needed to load the rod to cast your offering. fly fishing reel has a drag system you would use when the fish is big and can not be retrieved by pulling the fly line comfortably.

Center pin reel on the other hand is a drag free reel for a natural, smooth, long drift down stream, you are able to control the speed of the offering just by the touch/flick of a finger to the ring of the reel.

You can not cast a dry fly that is almost weightless (and stay above the surface) with any means of fishing line, to the distance you need to reach but with only "Fly fishing line".

You will not have a helping hand of the drag system when you are reeling the fish on most center pin reels, you will have to fight it one on one.

You can use any subsurface offering on both fly fishing and centerpin fishing. center pin have the advantage of the "dead drift", fly line have the advantage of "stripping" of the streamer and alike offerings.

There are many more advantage and disadvantage of both technique over one another. for me its fly fishing when its hot. and centerpin when it is cold.

Don't limit the centre pin ! I've caught trout jiggin with it, I've caught trout working a streamer up the shoreline on a retrieve, I've caught perch ice fishing with it, I've caught

Smallmouth bass bottom bouncing with it. Ive even caught trout making the line "swing" in the tail of my drift as a fly line would. I've tried throwing crankbaits but without weighting the line I couldn't cast far enough for

my liking. Floatfishing with a centrepin for migratory trouts is by far my favorite way to fish. =D

Both have their advantages. Centerpinning is great when fish are in longer runs and pools but its a pain when the rivers/streams are crowded. Fly fishing works great when fishing in a crowd or when the fish are in shallower fast runs or riffles. I use both depending on what im in the mood for. I really enjoy both but i personally prefer the jolting strike of a swung fly over a float going under.

Archived