Pickerel At The Weather Buoy

905andy

We are using 4 dipseys. Two number ones and two Magnums. The two #1s are straight out the back of the boat about 150 feet to get them down (according to the chart 70 feet for a 0 setting). The two magnums are out the side on planer boards set to go down to 70 feet. We are trolling at 1.5 to 1.8 mph according to my GPS. We have tried worm harnesses and Renosky lures tipped with worms. Sunday I had the same trolling patterns as most of the other boats out at the weather buoy. We only saw two fish boated while we were out there, but that does not mean much. We were at the buoy by around 7:00 a.m. and called it quits at noon.

We did very well when the fish were off Abino, but have had not luck in 3 outings to the buoy.

I have 8 foot leaders of flourocarbon off the dipsys going back to the work harnesses and lures.

First off, try and not fish erie during an east wind. East is least, West is best. Try and target 50-60 FOW with your dipseys. We were running #1's with 150 feet out set at 2. We trolled a lot slower than what you were. We also caught on the rigger set for 65fow with some blowback. Pickerel are lazy....and they look up.

We fished the weather bouy from 2.00 pm to 7.00pm landed 1 fish about 8lbs @ 5.00pm 82 fow 0 dipsey #3 setting 160 back on worm harness.Still beats working .

IMO trolling speed should be taken at the water wheel if so equipped, not at the GPS site.

Your GPS reading often produces a much slower speed at the water wheel due to waves, currents etc. It's what we use for salmon trolling and don't really rely on the GPS speed. Our success rate is quite good.

was out there saturday noon till 5 lost 3 landed 0

circling the can and west.

sunday same place, same troll, nada.

at noon we decided to travel, ended with 7 in the box, one 7lb rest 3.5 ish

not saying where we travelled, but burned ALOT of gas,

trolled 5 times this season with 4 skunks and only one 5 lb'er till sunday thats alot of gas.

was out there saturday noon till 5 lost 3 landed 0

circling the can and west.

sunday same place, same troll, nada.

at noon we decided to travel, ended with 7 in the box, one 7lb rest 3.5 ish

not saying where we travelled, but burned ALOT of gas,

trolled 5 times this season with 4 skunks and only one 5 lb'er till sunday thats alot of gas.

When someone posts where they are catching fish and you aren't do you try those spots? Better to say nothing instead of bragging and rubbing it in on the guys who aren't. For me I could care less where you fish.

What's wrong with sharing some info to fellow anglers. Bragging and rubbing it in I think not! Isnt this what this site is for or maybe your a little disgruntled not getting any results

I think you got it wrong. If you read my posts you will see that I tell where and what I use and how deep. Also I haven't been skunked on walleye this year yet. I wasn't the one who said " not saying where I travelled.

I think you got it wrong. If you read my posts you will see that I tell where and what I use and how deep. Also I haven't been skunked on walleye this year yet. I wasn't the one who said " not saying where I travelled.

Correct

The fish are still there guys, they are just set up deep, just under the thermocline. First thing in the morning has been best for us, with the bite taking a noticeable nose dive after 9am.

I find once they set up deep in the cooler 55 degree thermocline, they slow down. Slow the troll, get your lines down where the fish are, and get out of bed in the morning.

I had 55 degree water 70ft down on the probe.

Andy, magnum dipseys don't need to be run on boards. I'm guessing those boards are pulling hard enough in the chop that they're yanking your release clips out, and not running as deep as you think. Set them on setting 3, put them back 180-220, and reel them in.

It was M K who has tight LIP's on where he/she moved to off the CAN...... But I'm with most here if you have a bit of INFO to share on the site then share... May not have to be exact location, E, W or N would be enough to help others to maybe locate fish, or close to them......... I my self have no issue giving another fellow fisherman/lady some in site to where and how I did.......And I'll tell you the other side of Long Point is killing them right now...... Went 3 for 6 Fri. 55 FW, SE of Burwell.......My net person was having one of those days......lol....or would have been 6 for 6.......

When someone posts where they are catching fish and you aren't do you try those spots? Better to say nothing instead of bragging and rubbing it in on the guys who aren't. For me I could care less where you fish.

well when you spend your lifetime trying to catch a single walleye in lake erie,(many up north) and spend the last 4 seasons trolling about 5 times a year and finally getting into some fish, dam straight i'm gonna brag a little. like some wise fisherman told me, if you aint catchin you aint workin hard enough. musta changed setup every 20 minutes. think like a fish

Nothing wrong with bragging. I just thought that it would have better to have left out " not saying". Hope you limit out every day you go out. How do you think I get fish? I fish by myself and it was trial and error till I found out what works for me. Most of my fishing is with riggers. Find what works and stick with it. Fair winds and tight lines.

Archived