Tippet To Leader

DaveC

Guys what kind of connection to you use to your leader for your tippet? I have been trying the perfection loop but i have a hard time getting the loop small enough and sometimes it slips and tightens into a knot. Iwant to pre tie some tippets at home to allow for quick changes on the water.Also what material lb test you using for the tippet? Thanks.

I usually carry a small collection of different sized lines and change weight depending on water conditions, species of fish and size of fly. There is no wrong choice. If your fly is accurate and the fish don't seem to mind. Go with the biggest test you can get away with so you can get the fish in quickly. I also make my own leader usually and use the surgeons knot to tie all of them together, then it's the perfection loop to attach it to the fly line. Generally, I use 10#,8#6#, then 4# or even a 2# at the tip. When swinging big streamers for salmon and steel, I just throw 10# fluro on and fish all day without a problem

Maybe you misunderstood what i was saying...i have the skagit that connects to my leaders of differant weight and sizes i have the set of MOW tips that have the loop to loop connection on both ends...then to that i have been using 10lb floro. I think it should connect to the MOW tips with a perfection loop correct? But mine wont hold the loop and keep cinching up on me...the mow tips have the loop connection at both ends where a regular poly leader only have the loop on one end . Does that make sense? lol I would like to be able to remove the floro tippet when changing sink tips.

You could try tying a Surgeons loop. Very simple to tie and a strong knot. Just double the end of your tippet material and tie a double granny knot. adjust the loop size and moisten before tightening. If you want more info on knots try this site. Animated knots by Grogg

You could try tying a Surgeons loop. Very simple to tie and a strong knot. Just double the end of your tippet material and tie a double granny knot. adjust the loop size and moisten before tightening. If you want more info on knots try this site. Animated knots by Grogg

Ok thanks, I will see what I can find. What do you think about maybe a rapala knot?

The Rapala knot is good for tying your tippet to the fly. Its a geat fly for streamers or nymphs because it allows your fly to move more freely than with a clinch type knot. It wont be good for tube flies which require a clinch type knot. I suppose you could tie a Rapala knot around a nail or bodkin to form the loop.

Great video on the perfection loop. I use that knot on the butt end of my leaders. try using a bit of lip balm or saliva to lubricate the knot before tightening it. great knot that is very small and compact

That should work great on the poly leaders i have. Great idea on the dtopper line. I will be sure to give that one a try. Just that the MOW tips are a loop to loop connection on both ends so i will just try to pre tie them at home making sure they dont slide. I may even try the rapala knot see how that works. For sure im going to try the dropper off the tag end though....what would you typically run off the dropper fly wise? Thanks

You could use a nymph and an egg fly if your fishing steelhead under an indicator. Or any combination of nymphs. also you could use two wet flies or small streamers, as is popular in Europe. Be sure to not make the tag too long or it might twist around your main line when you cast.

• 4 months later...

Archived