Canoeing The Upper Niagara

knightfisher

Fished the upper Niagara for a few hours this afternoon. This is my favorite body of water. I was after musky. Marked lots of fish, and caught a few.

First smallie did not measure or weigh. Nice marking, picture not the best.

DSCN3348_zpsf4faf14e.jpg Another smallie 18 inches just under 4 lbs Great fight, thought it might be a musky. DSCN3351_zps287f0ffa.jpg First pike caught in the Niagara river. 33 inches and about 10 lbs. Nice fight. DSCN3355_zps93d3c5e0.jpg

WTG Dan ! Good solid bass and niiiiice toother ! If you get another nice pike 5-10 lbs. , you can get rid of it at my place & I'll find a nice home for it , dead or alive .

nice fish. thats the best part about the upper river, you can catch anything while your "bass" fishing. Havent been out in a while in the upper but the lower is calling my name. probably head down to the pool after work tomorrow and sunday morning hopefully my skein is still good.

Thanks for the replies. I usually go in around Netherby Rd and head up towards Fort Erie. There are many places along this stretch of the river to launch a canoe/kayak. I see many people canoeing and fishing. There are many areas that the current is very slow, as well as fast. Depending on the current will determine how far out I go. Sometimes I'm hugging the shore, other times I'm out over a hundred yards. A fish finder is great to have. The depth changes quickly. Some places are two-three feet deep and out as far as fifty yards and suddenly drops to twenty-five and more. Other areas along this stretch instantly drops to over twenty feet. When the water is clear, which is most times, you can see the bottom and many times see muskies cruising under you. Some so huge it can be intimidating. I once had this musky surface about five feet from my canoe. At that moment it seemed well over five feet long. It swam on top of the water for about fifteen yards, turned on it's side and continued another few yards and went under. My heart was pounding and I was sort of in shock for a good half hour. If I had hooked into that beast, there would of been no way to land it from a canoe.

If you have a chance to get on this river, do it. Just the beauty of the water and structure is worth it. Catching fish is bonus.

:Gonefishing:

I've seen Musky surface just as you described. Swimming on the surface with it's mouth open for several yards then slowly head downward. Their at the top of the food chain so they seem to have no fear. It would be intimidating in a canoe if you see a 50 incher beside you.

That's a good sized pike! What did she hit? They seem to turn up once in a while in there I got my longest pike ever one fall casting a musky spinnerbait on a weed bed up from black creek about 4 yrs ago, the thing had to be close to 40" but skinny as a rail!

Archived