#*@&! Oil Filter !

smerchly

Decided to change the oil on my van yesterday ......8 hrs later , no oil change ....can't get the filter off the 5.7 lt.engine. I usually just crawl under , turn the filter off & job done in 15 minutes . At days end , after 8 freeking hrs. , I ended up with the filter in 15 pieces with just the bottom ring remaining . I bent the oil filter wrench , then did the screwdriver punch a hole through trick , then rip the filter apart to use a punch in the little holes at the bottom . No luck ! I went on UTube for some info.but I have tried all the tricks in the book . Anyone have any dynamite ? Too wet today to carry one , but I'll try again in the a.m. with a heat gun and long punch to try turning it out . I have never had this problem in many years of changing filters . Last resort will be a tow truck to my mechanic .Grrrrrr ..... :angry:

This is why God invented lube shops, drink a Timmies read the Sun and 20min later your on your way. No dirt, no swearing and no trying to get rid of 4l of dirty oil. Best $$$$ you'll ever spend.

Right on dude ......my other vehicles went to the lube shop . The van sits high off the ground , easy to reach the filter & pan nut from the side & "usually" do a change in 10 minutes for under $20 complete with greasing about 10 spots .

Drifter ......I may have forgot to lube the rubber ring last time , never had one that tight before . Today ,I used a heat gun & squirted WD40 into the holes & outer ring & used a 5 lb. hammer & piece of sharpened Ree Bar for a punch . It worked !! :clapping: I can now go fishing again ! :Gonefishing:

here is the inside story of the oil filter that challenged the smerch !.....

SAM_3414.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Righty tighty......Lefty loosey....... :crazy::wall: .......Sorry Smerch................I just hadda say it. Glad you got it finished.......................Boog

Archived