My Very First

jackz905

They look better one suggestion is sometimes less is more you seem to have quite a bit of material on there using less and pinching the material between ur fingers and pushing it from the top of the hook ( hook shank pointed down) should distribute it more evenly and help with using less material and giving it a more streamline effect. Everyone ties different and for two weeks in that looks great keep it up.

Keep at it...the second one could benefit with a trailer hook that is tied onto a shank or main hook with fire wire. You tube has some great tutorials on that. Your mistakes where the same as mine....putting too much material on. Are you whip finishing the head ir using a half hitch by hand? Glad to see your tying....you can always buy a few flys you like then replicate them as well. Good effort.

ya im half hitching with my hand and i realized ive been using to much material but i cant get that nice straight bucktail for streamers it all lifts up after i tighted my lose wraps like in the first one i tied

Lol...well how come im not getting any better cc....i spent 10,000 hrs already. Jack, try pulling out the short hairs and use a hair stacker it helps. You want them all the same length and even...just try using a little less. You might want to go buy a few flies just so you have something beside you to compare to or a laptop when your tying you can watch a video and follow the procedure. You,ll get it....takes a little time.....some ugly flies still catch fish.

Not bad for your first flies. When working with bucktail its best to use the harder longer hair from the tip of the tail. snip of a small clump,then comb out the small short hairs.Then grab the clump by the tips and gently pull the buts with your other hand removing the shorter hairs. take the shorter hairs and lay them on top of the longer ones now you have even tips. You may have to repeat a couple times to get all the tips aligned. Its ok to have some tips shorter giving the fly a more tapered appearance. Next hold the hair over your hook, visually measure the length and cut them. you now have the hair ready to tie in. Pinch the hair between your thumb and index finger leaving a short end of the butts exposed and hold it on top of the hook shank at the tie in point. Tie in using a three loose wraps then follow with tight wraps holding the hair tightly between your fingers the whole time. the trick to tying good flies is to choose quality materials and prep them properly before tying in. As you gain experience you will get a feel for how much material you need to use. you will soon find out that it will be a lot less than you think. Its a good idea to purchase a few well tied flies and examine them to see how much material is used and also for proper propotion.

Happy tying

just my 0.02$ here;

it don't really matter what your fly looks like too much, these fish are usually holding in a certain spot, watching stuff float past them, they have a split second reaction time to decide wether or not to eat or strike at it. don't worry about combing out hairs or any of that non-sense, at least around here on the niagara fish aren't that picky. focus on the overall shape of your streamer, try to match the size of the minnow in the river. when i cut hair from a buck tail, i use the buck tail exactly how it was cut off, gives the streamer a more fuller look and i don't want it to be all even length. sure eventually if u want, u can try to comb your flies and put pretty make up on them, but all this is gonna do to a new fly tyer is put down his confidence and take away the joy of tying for the first time. like dave said, some ugly flies catch fish, 9/10 you put a well presented fly that could remotely resemble something it would like to eat, your gonna take a fish. look at the wooly bugger for instance, it does't resemble anything in nature all that well, but it does resemble a lot of forage, somewhat if you stretch your imagination. focus more on techniques and getting comfortable with your tools, put your time in on the water, and the rest will come naturally.

603560_10151690560886528_873879672_n.jpg

this is my favourite colour streamer for the niagara, grey under belly, little crystal flash, then green on top with a red head. couple days last year i went double digit fish on this colour streamer alone. (search 12/12/12 story to see the fish pics) hope this helps you out a little bit, and good luck. Ill probably see you down in the glen quite often.

Hey snakeman...since when did india start making vises lol ? I was told that last night by Rick Whorwood...when i asked him what flies he likes to spey fish with. His answer was that the reason float guys drifting bags do so well is its the ideal presentation. He told me you can swing the nicest fly all day and get nothing if its not in the strike zone and presented properly. Being new to spey fishing im asking tons of questions....he told me if your not losing flys...your not catching fish. Like you mentioned...get it where it needs to be and presented well and fish dont really care....they dont stop to examine its eyes or if its pretty...if it resembles food its gone.

thanks guys for all the imput i will try everything that was said on here and hope to get some great results on the results and snakeman you will deff see me most weekends if you fish the glen

However if you don't comb out those hairs it can cause your fly to determinate faster because they cause space in the material when tying them down and if it's not even and you don't catch all of them. With the whip knot it'll fall apart. So the fish don't mind but Mother Nature will tear it up on you especially the Niagara.

Disintegrate ***

I agree with Dave C that presentation is the most important aspect to catching fish. However, if you enjoy tying flies then why not spend a few extra seconds to prep your materials and tie a nicely proportioned fly. A well tied fly will perform much better and last longer resulting in more hookups when the fish does see your fly.

• 4 months later...

Archived