Fishing The Cat

Flyfisher

Yes they are...not huge numbers. Water is running very low and clear...need some good rain and time to clear some. Hopefully its not blown as bad as it was most of last fall...seen it reach almost 3000 last fall. Crazy how much the river reshapes itself when that happens. Dont know if i can justify the license to fish it once or twice....that and the banning of lead shot and last years fishing there was garbage.

I didnt know they banned lead shot in there. There is non toxic shot available made with tungsten and bismuth that works fine. Personaly I like to swing streamers in the early season when the fish are the most active. I find olive woolly buggers or black nosed dace bucktails work great in there. Later in the season I switch to glo bugs and nymph patterns.I havent been there in a couple years and am planning on going there this season.

• 3 weeks later...

new york has banned the sale of lead but there is no ban on using stuff already in your possession. folks there just hop over to pennsylvania to buy it.

but i do agree the ny licence thing has gotten out of hand. used to be $40 for the year but now is $70 so no way to justify buying that anymore, especially given the zoo scenes during trout season. if i want that kind of crowding i can just run over to erindale for the day and save the border trip. our last excursion for trout was this month and we drove right through new york on our way to pennsylvania, and donated our dollars there. and we will be doing the same come march and april too.

thats where my profile pic was taken this year, pinning roe a month ago. been there for a while. take a look at the guages for the river before you go, it could save you a trip. dont forget that if you fish the reserve you need a reserve license,

Have to laugh at the range of hate/love responses the subject of the Catt elicits. Over the last 20 yrs of fishing that system (that is, when I haven't accidentally sneezed riverside and blown the river for the next month)...it has been good and bad. Great water for the pin and spey.

Not huge numbers there yet as is the case with most south shore tribs. If you want to do a little leg work and the opportunity to fish unmolested uphead stream from the res...exquisite water there...but yeah...check the flow.

Have to laugh at the range of hate/love responses the subject of the Catt elicits. Over the last 20 yrs of fishing that system (that is, when I haven't accidentally sneezed riverside and blown the river for the next month)...it has been good and bad. Great water for the pin and spey.

Not huge numbers there yet as is the case with must south shore tribs. If you want to do a little leg work and the opportunity to fish unmolested head stream from the res...exquisite water there...but yeah...check the flow.

I agree you wont find a nicer river when the flow is right. Like you say, sneeze and its gone for a month. I have some nice spots there, and Im sure you have as well where you must to leg work to access it. But it was a poor year last year with it being washed out most of the fall. That's kind of good in a sense. There is some nice waters over that way that I enjoy just as much as the Catt, and I can fish with the NY state license. Some bad experiences with the catt...my friend had all 4 tires slashed on his van on one trip, and some clown blew away his bull mastiff and pushed him off the edge of the river bank on another excursion. Love the river...love the scenery, but the crazy people there and knowing your on their land....if bad news happens your on your own. Stopped by the res warden and warned already about the lead shot....$500 fine next time. Meanwhile its ok for the natives to hunt fish with a shot gun. That's my only downside to the Catt....but the river itself is great.

yep, until christmas...

Yep....and thats the Catt. Would not be bad if you could buy a daily license. CC....trust me on some of the natives being idiots. I guess you never ran into the bandana toting 4 wheelers i have driving right through the river at the cabbage patch half in the bag. I definately would not fish alone there.

Yep....and thats the Catt. Would not be bad if you could buy a daily license. CC....trust me on some of the natives being idiots. I guess you never ran into the bandana toting 4 wheelers i have driving right through the river at the cabbage patch half in the bag. I definately would not fish alone there.

You probably look more suspicious than I do...LOL

Guess I hide my Dutch colonizing side really well...

DC you game for the fly outing the 2nd and 3rd?

I've been fishing the Catt for 20 years and never had any problem on the Res. Other than my friend burying his truck in a field. We had to find someone to drag him out. AAA woillnot come into the res. The local auto shop was more than helpful. Heard a few storys about the locals though. I was fishing the gravel pit earlier this month and had a Conservation Officer check my license but he never metioned the lead ban.

Kiss it good bye for quite a while....thats why i cant justify a res license anymore. Being a weekend warrior its tough to catch it when its right.

Archived