Drift Boating

DaveC

Great day today drift boating with my friend Rick Whorwood today on the Grand River. We did a 4 hour tune up lesson, had lunch on the side of the river and fished the rest of the day. I have to say, those drift boats or at least the one he has ( Hyde drifter ) are awesome boats. Seat at the front, seat at the back and the rowers seat. Lots of room, and able to access parts of the River that most people cant access. Water was running high on the grand from Paris to Brant, but I was surprised how it really changes where Whitemens empties into the grand. This section is single barbless, catch and release no kill zone. We fished between Paris and Brant wading and spey casting all the runs and holding waters. I knew going in the chances of hooking a fish where slim givin the fact Im still learning spey. I must say my casting has improved tremendously and I have learned to mend properly to present the fly as natural as possible. I did make every attempt to hook -up today, but it just did not happen. That's why its called fishing I guess... :) Non the less, I was happy to be out in the fresh air and doing what we all like to do best...if I caught a fish it would have been a bonus. After we stopped to talk with another drift boat on the way down river, they told us they landed a 12lb steelie in the morning and it had slowed to nothing since then...he did say it was one of the bigger ones he ever pulled out of the Grand. If I find a picture of it I will link it here.

Well Craig you definately have the cast....lol. You probably meant the cash !!!!

Archived