Sweet Success With Olive And Black...:)

Craiger

Hey guys here's a fly I tied the other day and got to test it out this saturday. Used some light olive UV ice dub in the body and man it comes to life in the water. Also played around with some different flash which i was really happy with. Worked through the run with a purple fly first during the low light. Once the sun came up i switched to this and man it got smashed so hard...:) Here's a few pics and a video of it working in the current. Hope you guys like it.

20131009_233149_3_zpsab97cc8b.jpg

Here's the clip of the fly swimming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWY_IKiuT90&feature=youtube_gdata_player

20131012_090954_zpsb45422da.jpg

20131012_091059_5_zps260ca7e6.jpg

Cheers

Craig

Tied on a hairpin shank with 20lb maxima for stinger hook.

Rear section is spun brown/copper UV ice dub

Few wraps of olive maribou

Few strands of red, blue, green and silver crystal flash.

Body is just olive UV polar chenille wrapped and palmered back.

Head is spun light olive UV ice dub

Few more strands of flash and then a few wraps of black maribou to finish off. Looks bulky but its not at all. All the spun dubbing and polar chenille gives it a lot of body and comes alive in the water.

Hope this helps you out

Cheers

Craig

thats a beaut there, i really enjoy seeing the flies you guys tie, it makes me seriously consider trying to fly fish for ontario steelhead, but i think i have more than enough on my learning plate right now, congrats on the beauty though gets me excited for my first of the year

thats a beaut there, i really enjoy seeing the flies you guys tie, it makes me seriously consider trying to fly fish for ontario steelhead, but i think i have more than enough on my learning plate right now, congrats on the beauty though gets me excited for my first of the year

Its great fun Jordan....but i have a serious problem with it myself. Trying to put the float rod down. I love the fly rod, but when the chips are down i keep reaching for the float rod cause all my buddies float fish. I keep trying to find a way to fish by myself with the spey rod but everyone has plans made and it always revolves around a float rod. Its like reaching for old faithfull.

Its great fun Jordan....but i have a serious problem with it myself. Trying to put the float rod down. I love the fly rod, but when the chips are down i keep reaching for the float rod cause all my buddies float fish. I keep trying to find a way to fish by myself with the spey rod but everyone has plans made and it always revolves around a float rod. Its like reaching for old faithfull.

i understand that actually, i was talking about this same situation with josh(cdnfishguy)

i may try to get into fly fihsing next year, but this year is all about the float, and learning to use it properly, then when im confident il head to the fly, i really wanna experience picking up a steel on the swing, iv watched another video on his youtube channel and he did just that, looks like a blast.

Thanks guys....Dave don't lean on that old crutch of a float setup. Once you get that first steelie smashing your fly on the swing that will be it for the float rod. Trust me...it happend to me and many of my buddies now...:). There's nothing like it. That fly there is the only one of it's kind in my box right now. Time to stock up my box first...then we'll see about others. ;)

We should do a tying night sometime and i can show you how to whip flies like these up. Not that complicated at all.

Cheers

That be cool Craig. Id be interested . I spent a great deal of time watching Joe and Steve at the Clave who make it look so easy. This weekend Joe is at the first cast in guelph. I was set on going....but fishing plans have got in the way. Steve ties som amazing intruders. Ive got the casting down and proper mending now. Just need suitable water not full of float guys and some flies i have confidence in. My brother and i have talked numerous times about going splits on a drift boat and if that happens that solves the getting away from the float guys. The grand near whitemans is ideal for it....just have to figure out the access route.i have a ton of fly material now so really have no excuses. Im probably at the point where you were when you started out....i hear you on the float rod crutch...lol.

Hey CC I can't see those pics either. Would love to see them though.

Dave, using your spey rod next to float guys will just frustrate you beyond belief for many reasons. Doing the guided drifts are a perfect way to find more suitable water for sswinging. Hope you get one soon buddy...:)

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought my first Lamson Reel, used it one on the east coast for atlantics. Was a beautiful reel. Looking for ideal tribs to use the fly rod, maybe of the smaller variety, not necessarily new to fly fishing, but do not know water around here well. Any suggestion other than the credit and Bronte for the fly?

I recently bought my first Lamson Reel, used it one on the east coast for atlantics. Was a beautiful reel. Looking for ideal tribs to use the fly rod, maybe of the smaller variety, not necessarily new to fly fishing, but do not know water around here well. Any suggestion other than the credit and Bronte for the fly?

20 mile creek durning the salmon spawn :crazy: .. haha,

Thanks guys....Dave don't lean on that old crutch of a float setup. Once you get that first steelie smashing your fly on the swing that will be it for the float rod. Trust me...it happend to me and many of my buddies now... :). There's nothing like it. That fly there is the only one of it's kind in my box right now. Time to stock up my box first...then we'll see about others. ;)

We should do a tying night sometime and i can show you how to whip flies like these up. Not that complicated at all.

Cheers

I know that Jerry M at the St Catharines Game & Fish is starting up another Fly tying night at the club house, not sure what the nights are, but I believe you would be an excellent guest to have come in and perhaps do alittle instruction or brief seminar on tying aswell as fly fishing for Steel. I will talk to Jerry and PM you some details and maybe we can setup a fly tying night, I know there would be lots of interest.

Archived