Fly Fishing Aruba

DaveC

Will be fly fishing Aruba on the 4th of Dec. I plan on taking my switch rod and my echo ion reel with me. Im taking this because im more confident in spey casting then single hand cast rods they provide. Lot of the fishing will be wading in knee deep water...they asked that we bring water shoes. So i never done this and wondering if the salt water will be bad on my reel? Was thinking of taking a few flys along but not sure what to take? Anyone have any pointers? I know Big dog, and Bondar have both fly fished the south...looking for any advice.

Thanks Dave.

Rinse everything you bring with you after fishing with fresh water pliers, flies reel rod glasses everything , keep the flies you've used separate from the ones you haven't, depending on what your fishing bring some bright clousers/streamers and some Bite leader (knot to kinky or tuf line makes a leader you can tie knots in) for cuda jacks snapper , never fished Aruba what will be the target? I'd leave the switch rod at home if it's windy unless your just blind casting or using it to over head cast. Thrashing the water with line will make sure you spook everything in the water , find a shoe that will keep sand and shells out, if not you'll get cuts and chaff and ruin your day quick. Get a buff to hide from the sun. 8 hours in that sun unprotected and you'll ruin the rest of your trip, when I go I'm completely covered head to toe. I bring a hydration backpack also cause we do a tonnes of walking.

Going with this guy. http://www.flyfishingaruba.com/

When you say shoes that wont let the shells in, do you have any links of style of shoe? or where I could get them at this time of year? I only know of plain water shoes like Walmart sells. I think I know the ones your talking about the ones that go up to your ankle like skin tight boots...but not seen them here anywhere. I might have time to find them in Florida prior to the trip. Im sure the guy has lots of flies, so I will let him supply those...maybe like you say tie a few clousers. Oh I will be covered up believe me....I already had that lesson once before :smiley_campfire-1:

I have simms zip its and simms flats sneakers, you can buy a neoprene sock and wear any boot you like if you have a dive shop near you dive booties are almost the same as the Simms zipits, only thing I don't like about the dive boots is that the are usually Black and I find spook fish. Orvis and patagonia also have boots

• 3 weeks later...

All pumped and ready for action.....leaving tommorow morning. Will be fishing the 4th Dec. Be doing some ice fishing the first few days....in my glass...lol. hope i can get a few fish and some pictures!!!

Archived