Cotter Pin Flies

iHasFish

I've been tying a bunch of streamers on cotter pins that I found at crappy tire. I'm really liking it. They have great weight, cast nicely, sit in the vise well and tie up great. Anyone else ever tried using them? Here are a few of my recent ones.

bGeNJKF.jpg

r1tutSc.jpg

xWcewSG.jpg

Some very nice work. Probably work just as good as the shank pins with less the cost. Are you using fire wire to secure your hooks to the cotter pins? I know Craig uses hair pins he mentioned before.

hey ihasfish just got my outdoor canada mag today good article on page 38 about FRUGAL FLIES 1 page on cheap supplies

Also on page 63 6 great pages and pic of flies u can read on line

Nothing wrong with being thrifty. Well done...:) I prefer hairpins or bobby pins as some call them. That way you can bend the eye up a little bit. Seems to help them swim a little straighter and not spin. Those will get smashed...good luck with them.

Craig

Thanks. I was a little worried about them spinning too, but with the hook attached with wireand the point facing down, they swim true. I've tried hair pins too and didn't particularly like them. Give these cotter pins a try. You'll be delightfully surprised.

Archived