What Fishfinder On Kayak?

penetrator

Well sold the Pro-V, now time to move into a real fishing machine, my new 12' Nucanoe Frontier. I would like to put on a sonar unit, what are you guys using? Is going to a Lowrance HDS8 too much? I kept mine off the Lund so I have it but may be a little overkill.

• 2 months later...

i just picked up a cheapo portable humminbird 160 and i'm so far less then pleased... What orgiinally sold me on it was that it ran off of AA batteries but i think I might modify it this year to run off of a marine battery. The AAs don't seem to last very long. I'd try out the Lowrence and see how you like it before throwing money down on something new. you can always mount it on the bow so its out of your way.

I fished Lake Ontario with a guy that had a 4000w Humminbird 858 on his Jackson Coosa. He swapped it between his yak and his big boat, if you've already got it, why not use it?

I would giggle everytime I saw the GPS puck mounted on the bow of a 12' yak though.

• 3 months later...

i have a 12' frontier, and have a botom of the range Humminbird 120 on it, but would like something with better graphics and more options. if you have a good unit, install it. you wont know until you try it.

I'm planning to install a Lawrence Eilte 4X on my Old Town Vapor 12'. I've seen it installed on other kayaks and it seems like a good fit.

Archived