Used Kayak

sunfisher

I'm looking for a used kayak 10 ft plus, I'm 5'10, 230 lbs, and getting on in age, so I need something easy to get in and out of, I need to keep the cost down I'm on old age pension thank

How much are yu willing to spend is the question ... people on here might be able to provide better info s8nce the price range for kayaks can be from$200 used to a few thousand fully outfitted with riggers and a finder.

thanks guys I'm leaning more to a sit in

Defeats your need for something easy to get in and out of. SOT's are way more user friendly and much more stable.

I wouldn't consider anything less than a 13-14' for lake erie, even if you are just cruising shallow.

Defeats your need for something easy to get in and out of. SOT's are way more user friendly and much more stable.

I wouldn't consider anything less than a 13-14' for lake erie, even if you are just cruising shallow.

I am getting a 12'4 SOT, but for the last 8 years I have had a 10'6 sit in and have fished Erie quite a bit. If you're smart about it, you'll be fine. I have never felt unsafe. But if you want to go out in bigger waves, then yes, you would want a bigger kayak.

thanks archman, I enjoy fishing, I sold my lund about 3 years ago, it was just too much boat for me, I bought a new 14 ft., Sports Pal but haven't used it yet I'd really like to do some kayaking and kayak fishing, I guess I'll have to wait for spring, when guys are looking to upgrade, thanks again, John

I am getting a 12'4 SOT, but for the last 8 years I have had a 10'6 sit in and have fished Erie quite a bit. If you're smart about it, you'll be fine. I have never felt unsafe. But if you want to go out in bigger waves, then yes, you would want a bigger kayak.

Don't limit yourself off the hop sunfisher, archman is upgrading for a reason. Biggest mistake I see is people not buying what they really want, then settling for something they don't need only to go buy it later, after throwing away a bit of cash.

Be sure of what fits your fishing style, then buy that. I'd try several first to help me decide.

You are best to but in the fall when the market is soft. Spring is very difficult to get a deal because everyone is gearing up.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 sit ins, Both pelicans, and 11.5 feet. I have rigged one for fishing. You will need something bigger than 10 feet, I have a friend with a 10 footer and it is tippy. Sit on tops are easier for entry and exit but after getting used to your yak it really isn't an issue. I tend to kayak as long as there is open water, This year the first day on the water was the 12th of January, and I was out yesterday on a local creek (probably going today also!). The bonus with a sit in is that with a skirt it is rain proof for equipment storage, and warmer in the cooler temperatures. Dicks in the states has a nice 12.5 field and stream yak, already rigged well for fishing I think it is under the $500 mark, and may be cheaper as it is off season. If you are going out in cold water like me make sure you have a large dry bag with fire starting material, and warm dry clothes, can be a life saver. Also I wear a wetsuit when the water temperatures are below 50 degrees, be safe. I have no problem taking you out on one of the ones I have, that way you can try it. We will have to wait until spring though. I also have a 14 foot sportspal, You can use that as basically a sit on top, the canoe is very stable and light, There is more room in the canoe than any sit on top and you can rig the same rails, holders etc. I have a clamp on downrigger for up north. If you are going to take it out alone bring an extra 5 gallon pail and fill it with water. put it in the bow of the canoe and you shouldn't have any issues with steering.

thanks Mike, I also have a new sports pal that I haven't put in the water yet, maybe I'll forget the kayak and just set the canoe up for fishing, it's 14 ft long and has a square back, I'd like to get together with you in the spring for some fishing, tanks again, John

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived