"trouting" At Port

smerchly

I gave it another try using pink worms today , but the currents were not in my favour to drift properly ....kept getting hung up on bottom . I left the scene & tried for pike for an hour , tossing soft baits & small cranks . ....got 2 pike and a nice smallie . The largest pike was 32" & went 7.6 lbs . I thought I would do some weighing to see how much meat this pike would yield . I did the 5 fillet method to lose the "y" bones and ended up with 2.7 lbs of clean fillets from 7.6 lbs of pike . I have photo's but can't post them properly .....hope to fix it soon.

SAM_3619.JPG

Sounds like a plan Mazz ! Pike over 5 lbs. have thick enough fillets to do the kabob tango , especially the thick back piece from the head to the dorsal fin .

Smearch, one day I hope to see you in port Dalhousie when you have a pike to clean!

I'll show you a very easy method that will consistently remove all the bones while saving meat.

I've never tried the 5 filtet method. But I cleaned a ton of pike this year and never had a bone :)

Seems like I fixed the problem posting photo's ....did a windows update , uninstalled & reinstalled Picasa .......

This is the final de-boning process from the 5 fillet method .......cdnfishing guy , I have seen videos on you tube of doing the regular filleting method, then removing the rib bones and then the line of "y" bones . I'll give that a try with a smaller pike next time .

here's the final product from the 5 fillet method ......notice the bottom piece is split in two to eliminate the cartilage above the back bone .....

SAM_3622.JPG

Nice pictures!

I see how the 5 fillet method works now !

What about the top piece from the fishes back, the instructions I read showed where to cut and it seemed they were cutting right through the spine... Was this an issue?

The first cut behind the head doesn't cut through the backbone .I hold the fish up in a swimming position , cut across the spine to the backbone ,then run the blade sideways against the spine to the dorsal fin . That is the largest and thickest piece of meat . You will then see the spine and row of Y bones on each side . Carefully run the knife on the outside of the Y bones with the tip of the knife toward the center of the belly , as close to the bones as possible .Bring the blade out at the dorsal also . The last two fillets are easy to cut from the tail to the dorsal . There are some good videos on You Tube showing a few methods to clean pike . Pike meat is white , flaky and sweet and not fishy tasting as well .

Did not even know catching pike was feasible during this time of the month. Do you have to use a leader? How was the fight?

How does pike meat taste like compared to bass if cooked exactly the same way?

pike is delicious...one of the best tasting fish..I'd eat a pike over a fishy bass anyday

Did not even know catching pike was feasible during this time of the month. Do you have to use a leader? How was the fight?

How does pike meat taste like compared to bass if cooked exactly the same way?

I always use a leader when targeting pike , either 30# floro carb or a steel leader . The smaller pike ,about 2.5 lbs. swallowed a 4" crank bait and only the leader was visible .Their teeth will cut through braid or mono easily . You can fry pike like bass or perch and I'll take pike over bass . I'm having "kabob" pike chunks , with bacon pieces between each piece of pike in about an hour .......the chunks have been marinating in zesty Italian salad dressing for an hour ......." poor mans lobster" :wub:

The pike-kabobs were so good ! I have enough for my neighbour to try since he smoked my bow for me .

kabobs & fries....bacon pieces between each piece

SAM_3634.JPG

kabobs removed from sticks

SAM_3635.JPG

and ....oh the bow , smoked to perfection ! this is one fillet cut in half .

Can't beat having local fish !

SAM_3624.JPG

Would like to add .....the pike kabobs were done in the oven . Doing them on the bbq is even better !

Archived