Welland River Ice

chef ryk

Just asking if anybody has tried the river for ice fishing (not now when its safe) I see snow machines up and down the river and I do catch a lot of fish out of it spring and summer eyes perch pike etc.. just never seen any one out in winter

I've fished the Welland River in December and January , but never through ice. I have a spot that takes along time to solidly freeze over , so I tend to fish it right up until it freezes , which can take along time depending on the warmth of the season. I caught 7 cats in a few hours last year in Dec. I guess what I'm saying is there is decent winter fishing to be had, and it doesn't need to be through ice ! PM me if you had any questions, I'd be glad to give you a nudge in the right direction.

Talking about currents , it amazes me how the Grand River freezes over below the falls at Dunnville . I have fished some ice derbies near a marina about 1 km. downstream and the current was quite strong under the ice . Yet , the only time I fell through the ice many years ago , was at Lake Gibson where the current reduced the ice thickness to less than 1" . I fished the same spot a week before with a solid 4-5" of ice, catching big smelts . A layer of fresh snow made this small lake look very inviting . A spud test would have helped ......but not 100% when the very next step was like stepping off a wall ! I was alone and was very lucky I was able to slide out on my belly in a split second . My reflexes today are slower , so I'm a wiser old owl now....... :read: ... :coldsmiley::smiley_campfire-1:

Archived