Where To Take Safety Course For Pal?

DarkSky

I'm wanting to get my PAL. I'm in St. Catharines.

The only 2 places I can find near St. Kitts is:

(Pelham)

and..

http://http//www.silverdalegunclub.com/%C2'> (St. Anne's, between Smithville and Pelham)

If these are the only 2, which would you recommend to take my safety course? Silverdale's web site looks much more professional, but if anyone has gone to the first one I linked, could you comment? Are there any others close by that I've missed?

I did both my restricted & non restricted at Silverdale. The instructors were competent and friendly and make you feel comfortable even in you have zero experience with firearms.

I am taking my non-restricted and one stop hunting course at Silverdale later this month, I was recommended to a couple other guys, one in Dunnville who never returns phone calls and one in Fort Erie, I originally was going to go with the guy's in Fort Erie but they didn't offer the course in one weekend, they wanted me to go ex amount of hours over a 3 week span, and I just couldn't book that much time off work, so I am paying a bit more for Silverdale but they are getting it done in one weekend.

Did mine in Fort erie had a great time excellent instructors Gene and Don are great guys. The 3 week thing was kinda nice it can be alot to take in . I live close to where the course is and was in no rush thou. Got a few buds who went to silverdale said was excellent aswell.

All of the above are good choices, I am very good friends with one of the instructors from one of the places mentioned here so I am not going to suggest one or another but in the interest of the board here I do believe one is a sponsor on this site. If you get good replies here, why not support the one who sponsors the site?

All of the above are good choices, I am very good friends with one of the instructors from one of the places mentioned here so I am not going to suggest one or another but in the interest of the board here I do believe one is a sponsor on this site. If you get good replies here, why not support the one who sponsors the site?

Hard to do that when we have absolutely no idea who you're talking about :D

I took the hunting/PAL course offered at Silverdale a couple years ago and enjoyed it. With no hunting/firearm experience prior to classes I would have enjoyed if the class size was a little smaller.

Over the summer I updgraded to RPAL with Gene from Ft. Erie and was great, there were only a half dozen of us and he was really thorough.

I took the hunting/PAL course offered at Silverdale a couple years ago and enjoyed it. With no hunting/firearm experience prior to classes I would have enjoyed if the class size was a little smaller.

Over the summer I updgraded to RPAL with Gene from Ft. Erie and was great, there were only a half dozen of us and he was really thorough.

Question: do they contact your references for PAL (and I assume the definitely do for RPAL..?) I'm just wondering in case I should tell the people I use as refs to expect a call.

Question: do they contact your references for PAL (and I assume the definitely do for RPAL..?) I'm just wondering in case I should tell the people I use as refs to expect a call.

They interviewed my references for both PAL and RPAL. I have read online that sometimes they don't for PAL but not in my case.

OK so here's the scoop. I am friends with John Kellaway, who runs Firearms Education School in Pelham. He is a great guy and has a wealth of knowledge. I recommend him to all of my friends I know in real life. With that said, I believe Gene (genec on NFN) was mentioned, and I believe he is a sponsor of the site here, if not a member and contributor. He is in Fort Erie if I am not mistaken. My advice to anyone on here thinking about getting their PAL/Hunting license is to talk to Gene and use him as he is a contributor here. This is in the best interest of keeping NFN rolling. If you were to walk up to me on the street and ask me, I would refer you to John Kellaway. They are all good people, will teach you what you need to know to be safe and pass the tests. The pricing is all very close as for the most part they have to follow guidelines for the pricing. They all have years and years of experience with firearms and hunting so no matter who you choose, you will be in good hands.

They contact everyone now. Once the Long Gun Registry was removed they had to find work for those who were working with the LGR. Part of that work now is contacting all references for PAL/RPAL applications.

• 2 weeks later...

Would recommend doing both over a weekend too. Saves travel and time, keeps all the stuff fresh for the tests at the end too

I agree!

I just took my course this past weekend, a few hours Friday night, 8 to 5 Saturday and 8 to 4 Sunday. What a great experience, met some great people.

I cannot believe how much I learned by taking this course, and taking it together seemed to help out for the written tests, some (not all) of the stuff we went through Friday and Saturday for the Hunting course was also on the PAL course taken Sunday.

I was really nervous for the last two months since booking my course, mainly about the practical part, I know 2 guys that failed theirs a few years back but now that I did it, it really is complete common sense, I don't think I will be hunting with those two anytime soon for fear of my safety LOL.

Important things to know for anyone who is going to be taking this course...

The written test's and practical test are NOT about speed, there is NO TIME LIMIT for either of them, so pay attention to you're instructors, take notes, take you're time on you're test's and you'll do great!

Next up for me it to turn my fishing licence card into an Outdoors card this coming Thursday, then I am taking the Restricted Firearms Course while the information is still fresh.

Here is my first Hunting trophy..... :P

educfrank2014_zps242cf383.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived