Frozen Ducks.

honeyv

Natural phenomenon that occurs with every deep freeze as far back as I can remember. Ducks, geese, gulls, all get stuck in these conditions. Nature's culling system, in a sense.

After looking at the comments in the Standard , our society is getting to be lacking in compassion for animals in distress . "Some" disgruntled people made very rude asinine comments towards our firefighters "wasting" tax payer money rescuing these birds . We are supposed to be at the top of the food/intellect chain and we have the ultimate power to either rescue these unfortunate birds or let them die frozen in the ice , or until a dog or fox ventures out to eat them alive . If people would stop feeding the ducks in the fall more of them may join their family for a southern vacation .

That's a nice story but I can't believe that they sent a rescue team out for ducks when they are charging ice fishermen who have to be rescued from the ice. I never condone going out on unsafe ice but there was a case on I believe Scugog where a fog rolled in and a guy went on unsafe ice and was charged over $5000. I wonder if the ducks will get the bill...

You have to look at this story as one written with compassion for the animals (ducks). We can do all the comparing of people being rescued and the fines imposed but people can buy a compass, a GPS and use common sense to not be on the ice, because people when rescued are in fear of dying from either drowning or hypothermia.

Ducks on the other hand are bouyant, so no drowing - hypothermia not as likelyy as exposure or starvation.

How did this happen (I mean the ducks becoming stuck) simple either water around them froze and thus they froze in or they moved on the ice and the warmth of the body/feathers thawed the ice then it frozed back around and they could not free themsleves. Have seen this a few times.

Good training for the team and the ducks get to live another day.

That's a nice story but I can't believe that they sent a rescue team out for ducks when they are charging ice fishermen who have to be rescued from the ice. I never condone going out on unsafe ice but there was a case on I believe Scugog where a fog rolled in and a guy went on unsafe ice and was charged over $5000. I wonder if the ducks will get the bill...

They have the bill.

Oh wow, guess they should've flown south for the winter!

Headed out for the last day of duck season tomorrow, glad to see there are still a few around. Hopefully I get lucky and bag one.

Here's a link to another article with more details and a video:

http://www.niagarathisweek.com/news-story/4303496-firefighters-humane-society-rescue-ducks-stuck-on-frozen-pond/

its stupid...saving ducks and saving humans is totally different...so to say that its good training is false...what would happen if one of those firefighters happen to get hurt or die in the process of saving some ducks..how would you feel if that was your family member...think about it...and mooseslayer make a great point about people getting the bill for rescues when its there job...yet they don't hesitate to send 10 guys out to save 5 ducks...its a joke!!!!...its a big PR chance for everybody involved.

I don't think its stupid. I was a firefighter and there is nothing like hands on training.It would prepare them to rescue a person if something happened

Also the ducks don't know any different. There is a difference between not knowing and stupidity. Granted I don't think that the person up north should have been charged but the ones that go out on L Erie and L Simcoe after being told not to should be charged. Especially if it was their 2nd or 3rd time.

Well said captn ! As human population grows I find many people become indifferent towards our wild life . A story today about our bees dying because of chemicals used in corn production (to fuel vehicles) , many people think it's not a problem and blame other sources . If we lose the bees the costs of agriculture food will go up a lot . It's sad to see any wildlife suffer under our noses when we have the power to save them . The firefighters are paid no more to rescue those ducks , only the cost of gas to get there . I'd gladly donate my other donations to help pay for the gas . Maybe the wild life organizations could pitch in a few bucks for these rescues , thus taking the heavy financial burdens from our "taxes" .......

I disagree...the firefighters are paid to be on call for real emergencies. What if there was an accident and someone needed immediate help and it wasn't there because the firefighters were out on the ice saving a couple of ducks? Sometimes minutes count.

I brought home every baby rabbit, bird etc as a kid that I found, nursed it and released it, but this is different.

I'm not incensed that this happened and think it was kind of nice but I could post dozens of instances where people were charged for rescues...and the firemen and rescuers are paid to do that exact thing. Go figure...

Don't human rescues use helicopters to remove fishermen from the ice ? I would think that is costly . As I grow older , I am more in tune with nature every fishing trip & I have more respect concern for all animal life . In this case , at Port Dalhousie , there are still many people who like to walk or walk their dogs etc. Some of these people would be very concerned about the frozen ducks and may attempt to try to save them . Then , we would need more than a fire truck . But , I suppose we could just say "Darwins" law .........

U all say that, BUT when u need them or a child in UR family needs them for an ice rescue, and say they were 7 mins late and ur love one DIES and they say hey Would have been here early but we were SAVING ducks in Port D then the front page of the paper prints it and then u can tell people u lost a love one r a friend kid because it was good practies to keep them sharp for the next real RESCUE

Wow ....that is so far out into left field .......A firetruck could also get a flat tire , engine failure or an accident . When there is a multi vehicle accident or a large building on fire etc ., more firetrucks would immediately be dispatched . Lord love a duck !

Either way these firefighters would have had to do some type of ice rescue training. So they go it out of the way and saved some ducks. I'll tell you it's alot nicer to hear that on the news then about all the other doo-doo. It's a feel good story. Also there's a good.ch

Either way these firefighters would have had to do some type of ice rescue training. So they go it out of the way and saved some ducks. I'll tell you it's alot nicer to hear that on the news then about all the other doo-doo. It's a feel good story. As for charging for saving ice fisherman, this helps detour people with half a brain from taking the risk with sub standard ice. A few stupid ones always disregard the warnings.

i don't think st cath fire have all halls with boats and rescue suits that all im saying . so if that boat is deep north and needed in the south then its late.as for fire trucks not all carrie the same stuff, a pumper and ladder truck r just that a rescue truck has jaws of life,, water rescue and so on

• 3 weeks later...

Archived