Recommend A Good Outfit For A "fly Noob"

Bow Man

Just looking for suggestions on some good outfits for a noob, looking for a 9' 6 weight combo. Since it is my first/learning rod was looking to spend $250-$275.00. Open to all input and feedback.

Cheers

That's a good amount of cash to spend on a 6 weight beginners outfit. Redington has some great stuff (my first 5 weight was from them, the cross water set up it was called) for a really reasonable price. The rod was light, great action and came with a good plastic reel that had a very smooth drag. I still use the reel actually. Check it out.

One suggestion you might want to concider is a primer lesson. That will give you as you suggest a beginner an opportunity to try out a few setups and get a good understanding of what suits you best. Thats just something based on my own personal experience as a beginner myself. Having said that, your budget will easily find you a nice used combo...which is the way i would go vs buying new.

The lesson idea is a good one. I see more people give up the sport because they find it too difficult, when an hour with a good instructor could have turned them into addicts. Try Grindstone Angling in Waterdown (just north of Hamilton) where they can advise on gear, including used stuff they have on trade-ins and new entry level outfits. Their instruction is also top-notch, though it costs. Another option is to get in touch with the Niagara Chapter of Trout Unlimited Canada, which offers free casting instruction and on-water practice for new members. This would also put you in touch with other fly fishers, most of whom are very willing to provide advice and instruction, places to fish, even lend or sell surplus gear. Whatever you do, I strongly recommend that you get advice from experienced fly fishers before spending your money. Your budget is good, but don't be fooled into cheap gear, especially the rod (save money on the reel if you need to, but get a decent rod).... and enjoy!

I think a 6 wt is an excellent choice (its what I started with) If I were you I would look at ROSS Rods ... Specifically the Essnence FS.

It was the first rod I bought when I started a few years ago. The rod has a lifetime warrenty and will be useful for a long time. I now own many other fly rods and have not purchased another 6 wt of even a 5 wt for that matter. I still love the way it casts even compared to some of the higher end rods.

The action is a little slower than some of the other high modulous graphite rods on the market; meaning it is a little more forgiving than others making it perfect for a beginner.

I just looked on there website! they have come down in price !!!!! I paid $200 and would glandy do so again. Get one while there cheap! (pm me for the name of a retailer in our area)

Get in touch with me if your interested in a rod from Ross, I have an account with them and might be ordering one in the spring anyways!

Just incase your interested

Cheers, I think i will go for a lesson first, but if I decide on Ross will get in touch with you.

thanks again.

One thing you can't forget about if you're going to build your own combo is the line you choose. Having the right taper and a good quality line is extremely important to your casting experience and like the rod it is one of the most important parts of your setup.

A 6wt is a good size for bass and larger trout, but might be a little heavy for stream trout and panfish. If you fish mostly local waters like the lower grand or lake Erie then a 6wt should be fine. Aside from the rod its important to buy a good flyline to match the action of the rod. A good line to start with is a weight forward floating line. Stay away from distance tapers or sinking lines till you learn to cast well with a basic setup. You should be able to cast 30 ft. without much effort if your rod and line are properly matched. When buying a rod I would buy one with a medium to medium fast action to learn with.

Archived