Roof Rack

pop-vlado

I am looking to get a roof rack for my 2012 Civic this year with a kayak mount. I was wondering if anyone in the know can just give me some tips on what to look for and how much money I need to spend on this.

From what I see, I need to parts: The roof rack and the kayak mount. Are both of these car-specific or can I find something universal?

Thanks! Cheers

Give Outdoors Oriented a call . They are near the Source at the Walmart Plaza on 4th Ave . They may be pricy but I think they can take care of your needs.

The foam blocks are ok for a canoe but no good for yaks

If you get square tube for the rack system then the foam blocks sit on it nicely and you can put the yak hull down, and tighten it down better than any factory kayak mounts. Cheapest and likely best set up if you are carrying one boat.

i agree with river guide, you dont necessarily need the kayak specific rack as long as you have the base. My wilderness sits securely on my rack face up and i feed the straps through the scupper holes. You can always get the kayak rack add on after the fact if you don;t like your yak flush. My dad has one and puts a big 16' two man yak on it no problems

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Folks,

Jamie from Outdoors Oriented here.

Smerchly – Thanks for the plug.

We do have a fairly large roof rack side to our business. We are the biggest Yakima, Malone and Thule dealer in Niagara and have lots of experience fitting racks on all types of different cars.

You’ve had some good info already in the responses here, but let me elaborate a bit more. As mentioned, your main options will be foam blocks or a true roof rack system. Both will work, but there’s advantages/disadvantages to both.

Foam Blocks and Straps – Inexpensive, adaptable to different vehicles. Limitations are usually only one kayak per car, not as secure as a true roof rack, more possibility of scratching the top of the car.

Roof Rack – Quite a bit more expensive but gives the ability to carry multiple kayaks, or items like bikes, skis, a cargo box, etc. They will be very secure when installed properly and will have less chance of damaging the car and the kayak. If you go aftermarket (Yakima/Thule) you will also have the option of adapting most of the parts of the rack to a new vehicle. I’ve personally used the same main components of a Yakima rack on 4 vehicles now. This fact makes the initial expense a bit easier to justify as buying a factory rack from a car dealership will typically cost the same price, but is dedicated to fit only that car.

Putting the kayak direct on the bar vs. in a kayak “saddle” – This depends a lot on the shape of the kayak, what you’re concerned with is deforming the kayak when you strap it down. Many S.O.T (Sit-on-tops) will be fine directly on the crossbar, or with a bit of padding because they have very flat hulls or decks. However, most sit-inside models will have a bit more shape to them and have less structural integrity. When you put these directly onto a crossbar, you’ll find that they will deform when enough pressure is applied by your straps; this can result in a more permanent “oil-can” if done enough times. It’s also difficult sometimes to even get them tight enough especially on a hot summer day when they will become more pliable as they heat up. Kayak saddles require you to first have a crossbar to attach to, and then you just have to choose between a “J’ style which transports the boat on it’s side, vs. a “V” style which keeps it flat upright. Both of these options will deform the boat much less and in effect keep it more secure and in better condition.

If you end up deciding that a roof rack is the way to go, you have a few options; Some car manufacturers sell racks specifically for their cars, you have the more generic “sport rack” brand available at big box stores, or you can go with Yakima or Thule who are the two aftermarket brands that dominate the industry. The problem with the more generic sport rack ones is that they are meant to fit a wide variety of cars, not your specific car. The term "jack of all trades, master of none" comes to mind. What you’re paying for with a Yakima or Thule is a much more specific fit for that exact vehicle which results in less damage to the vehicle and also a more secure fit. I’m not going to tell you they’re cheap as you’re looking at a ballpark of $400, but again this is something that may last you many, many years, and multiple vehicles.

Let me know if you’ve got any more questions and I’d be happy to help.

In the above mentioned reply, its stated that foam blocks and basic straps are inexpensive. If you consider over $100 for basic blocks and basic straps inexpensive then outdoors oriented is the place for you. Otherwise shop at wal-mart or TSC or basspro and find the same stuff for a quarter the price. Who really wants to spend their paycheck at one stop.

Jamie did say they match prices might be worth checking out save you a trip to bass pro or another place far away

In the above mentioned reply, its stated that foam blocks and basic straps are inexpensive. If you consider over $100 for basic blocks and basic straps inexpensive then outdoors oriented is the place for you. Otherwise shop at wal-mart or TSC or basspro and find the same stuff for a quarter the price. Who really wants to spend their paycheck at one stop.

I'm not sure where you've come up with this. Our basic kayak foam block kit with straps is $39.95. For reference I checked Bass Pro, Canadian Tire and Walmart online, the cheapest kit I could find is $60. We also sell upgraded foam blocks and straps individually that are better quality than you will find in kits. Even these higher quality options purchased seperately will total $85 if using the all the best pieces.

For a cheap but mostly secure compromise look on Kijiji for older Bic ski racks. They hook on to the rain gutters or door frames, pop up all the time, and run mebbe $50. Pop on foam yak blocks, tie down straps, and you're good.

A good Thule rack with J-hooks is the best, but with a little care it doesn't take much to keep your boat on the roof.

Sorry I have a tough opinion. Just tired of being ripped off. Like a mechanics shop, they see you coming from far away and love to nail naïve people.

:wall: <<< every time I buy something these days.

For a cheap but mostly secure compromise look on Kijiji for older Bic ski racks. They hook on to the rain gutters or door frames, pop up all the time, and run mebbe $50. Pop on foam yak blocks, tie down straps, and you're good.

A good Thule rack with J-hooks is the best, but with a little care it doesn't take much to keep your boat on the roof.

J-bars are not a good option over lying the boat flat. It's like adding a sail to your vehicle.

They are often the only option when carrying two yaks on a smaller vehicle though.

Sorry I have a tough opinion. Just tired of being ripped off. Like a mechanics shop, they see you coming from far away and love to nail naïve people.

:wall: <<< every time I buy something these days.

You have a reputable business willing to price match and they are in your home town, no driving. Sounds like a good deal to me.

• 3 weeks later...

That's scary, I will be sure to check my straps.

I can imagine little bumps settling things in and making snap tight straps loose and floppy.

• 1 month later...

Securing your kayak properly is number one for safety. You don't want to cause a major accident because it was expensive. I picked up an amazing set of roof racks for $200 and it even made transporting the kayak easier let alone safer and more secure. Rubber on the foam can wear away, get slimy or wet and be ineffective.

Can u use the foam blocks directly on your roof with no rack? Racks added on to my car is big bucks.

Yes you can. I've been doing it for years on my jetta. It's secure,safe, cheap and easy. Just put a crappy old blanket on your roof as you put your kayak on the take it off as you put the blocks on. Strap it inside your car with the doors open and the buckle inside your car (so you can see if they loosen ) then tie front and back with a rope to your bumpers and you're good to go. I got my kit for $18 over the river, but I'm sure you could find\make the parts for it cheap.

One problem though is that the straps will damage the foam weather stripping on your door over time. Good luck man.

If you want to do it cheap, you can use pool noodles and ratchet straps. I've done this with canoes and it would work the same for a single kayak.

Foam blocks work too, you can spend more money and get an inflatable roof rack even.

If you have multiple kayaks and/or travel a lot you need a better system. I lucked out and found a Thule rack and bag for my compass that was used only twice for 50.00 on kijiji. At first I was just strapping my original kayak down with ratchet straps ( I should have cut pool noodles or something to cover the bars and protect the yack better) but this worked and was secure. I drove up north and back all summer last year like that.

Recently I found some J-Racks on clearance at SAIL in Bulrington http://www.sail.ca/en/catalogue/paddle-sports/accessories/8403/j-shape-kayak-rack/. These are perfect for 2 (or even 1) kayaks, although I prefer to strap a single kayak down bottom up.

Check with Outdoors Oriented before driving to SAIL and see what they have as well.

Here is a pic of my compass rigged up with 2 kayaks today (if I was driving further than around the corner or on the highway, I would tie the fronts[bow] and backs[stern] down as well):

F6l8x9H.jpg

Archived