Help With Basically Everything Fly Tying Lol

snaggy

Hey Guys,

SInce we want to get some conversation started here i decided id put out a cry for help with fly tying. In the summer i bought a bunch of fly tying materials vice etc from a garage sale and now that i have some free time in winter I'd like to make use of em. Problem is I have no idea what any of the fur is and whether or not it floats, sinks, etc. I was hoping some of you more expierenced guys can let me know what these furs are.... :crazy:

165B7706-37E8-4B5B-BA45-A00DD4B70171.jpg

and also these ones..

CDA89A25-237B-4BCE-9B51-853ABADA0356.jpg

and finally these ones..

2669B0E9-9772-4B52-A0DE-DF9D8C5C2194.jpg

Those are the furs that came in the mixed bag from the garage sale. Hopefully I can put them to some use.

Another thing I was hoping you guys could help me out on was what are some eassssy flies to make and follow to begin with. I would like to make some that I can use for the fish I usually fly fish for (Bass,Pike,Mooneye, and hopefully some Brookies this year).

I know the grand river bass love some wooly buggers..

DSCF0804.jpg

Thanks guys, really have no idea on how to tie and think that this is the perfect place to get some advice as I've seen some reallly nice flies created by NFN members. :thx::worthy:

Looks like you have some deer, sheep, maybe black bear, and craft fur....but I cant tell for sure...lol Im mostly guessing....I have found a favourite fly that I fish quite a bit on the Grand River for bass is a Barr's Bouface streamer. You tube has lots of videos that will give you some great instruction. The wooly bugger and egg sucking leech are another two easy to tye flies. Do you have a tying kit ? Bobbin, threads and whip finisher? Vice?

When purchasing tying tools its best to invest in a good set of scissors. They should be nice and sharp with fine pointy tips to make precision cuts. Only use them to cut soft materials like feathers fur and thread etc. Get a cheap pair to cut wire and tinsel. As for bobbins you don't need to spend a lot of money but buy ones that have ceramic tips to prevent the thread from breaking. If you buy a whip finisher look for a Materelli style, which are the easiest to use or if you have good dexterity you can learn to do it by hand. I find the tools made by Tiemco are good quality and at a decent price. Fishing World sells fly tying materials and tools. Not a huge selection but they have most of the basic stuff you need to start tying. I would say you could get a couple bobbins, a pair of good scissors,a whip finisher and a bodkin for $50 to $75.Later on you can add hair stackers tweezers curved scissors dubbing loop twisters etc., as you learn.

Archived