Cuba

manutd_jeeves

Hey everyone!

In less than two weeks I am staying in Cayo Coco Cuba. I have heard of pristine bone fishing opportunities there, and was wondering if anyone has stayed at the Flamenco Memories resort and could provide me with some more information regarding the licensing criteria, price points, hot fly patterns etc.

Tight Lines,

Jeeves

• 3 weeks later...

So to provide everyone with an update on my trip, I managed to catch one 5 pound barracuda, and I lost one reported by the guide who had a thorough look to be over 45 inches and 15 + pounds. All in all, Cuba is a beautiful place, that I will be bringing my 8 wt too this summer in pursuit of jack, bonefish, and more cudas.

I was thinking about travelling to Cuba in the near future. Any possible shore fishing spot?

I heard that the locals might not be permitted to fish in some areas, have you heard of such an issue? I also received feedback from others that most 3 star hotel does not serve food that cater to our North American taste buds. But to eat out is fairly inexpensive. 4 star hotels are fine.

Did you pack any fishing gear? i was reading that many airlines expect one to pack their braided line reel and lures with hooks inside a check in baggage only. Rod in a tube is also considered one check in baggage.

I have two collapsible rod that can fit into my carry on baggage, So if I wanted to be cost effective/efficient flying by plane to fish in other USA states, I should just bring a reel with no lines, and lures without any hooks inside my check in baggage, then buy them locally. After the fishing trip, ship whatever useful hooks or braided line back via USPS. Some travelers were forced to strip all of their braided lines before allowing to pass through inspection station. I heard the inspector, just before the departure gate, will not allow any fishing lines or sharp hooks included in our check in baggage, regardless of how much we plead them that they were for fishing purposes.

I've been to Cayo Coco quite a few times and have always put 4 reels in my carry on (2 spinning and 2 fly with braid and flyline on reels) and never had a problem. I use 4 pc. 9ft fly rods and 3pc 7ft spinning rods. Put 4 rods into 2 tubes and they fit in suitcase along with all my fishing tackle.

I went to Dominican and had no problem with reels line lures. Put it all in ur suit case not a carry on. Also took a 9' rod split in two in a hard tube case and it was free of charger also. The airlines I looked at u get one free oversized peice of equipment. I think it goes by weight.

Heading to Holguin Cuba April 5-12 staying at riu playa turquesa holguin. Any tips or tricks for tackle and travelling with gear and lures would be greatly appreciated. I have heard that the guides would really appreciate receiving whatever you leave behind, as they can't get anything?

Heading to Holguin Cuba April 5-12 staying at riu playa turquesa holguin. Any tips or tricks for tackle and travelling with gear and lures would be greatly appreciated. I have heard that the guides would really appreciate receiving whatever you leave behind, as they can't get anything?

NK spoons work great as do rapalas ect. Make sure to have at least 60 lb braided wire for leaders. Lot of fish bite right through mono. Aslo chrome hooks which are stronger than regular ones.

I think I've fished at that place. They had mangrove fishing for the morning for $30. Basically fishing in the bay from a row boat, but very productive. Managed a few red snappers, a bone fish, and something called a croak fish.

They had very little gear, but we kept it simple. We mostly fished off the bottom. I would bring salt water hooks and other gear for sure . I'm sure they would appreciate anything you could donate. They simply cannot get the gear we all take for granted. If you bring your own rod, remember to rinse the salt water off every night!

I think I've fished at that place. They had mangrove fishing for the morning for $30. Basically fishing in the bay from a row boat, but very productive. Managed a few red snappers, a bone fish, and something called a croak fish.

They had very little gear, but we kept it simple. We mostly fished off the bottom. I would bring salt water hooks and other gear for sure . I'm sure they would appreciate anything you could donate. They simply cannot get the gear we all take for granted. If you bring your own rod, remember to rinse the salt water off every night!

very true, when i went to cuba i had a canal infront of my resort, i went fishing there with a travel rod i brought along for the trip. i managed a dozen small fish on some shrimp a local fisher gave me, i ended up giving him all my fish, he was so grateful that he gave us a bunch of cuban music in return, we later found out he had a few small children so we gave him some of my old soccer jerseys ect that we brought along to give away/trade. later ended up trading my fishing rod at market for a couple cool items,

never been but its funny at work we were talking about this very subject. i heard that if you bring an inexpensive rod that you can give away you can get special attention regarding fishing spots

I was thinking about travelling to Cuba in the near future. Any possible shore fishing spot?

I heard that the locals might not be permitted to fish in some areas, have you heard of such an issue? I also received feedback from others that most 3 star hotel does not serve food that cater to our North American taste buds. But to eat out is fairly inexpensive. 4 star hotels are fine.

Did you pack any fishing gear? i was reading that many airlines expect one to pack their braided line reel and lures with hooks inside a check in baggage only. Rod in a tube is also considered one check in baggage.

I have two collapsible rod that can fit into my carry on baggage, So if I wanted to be cost effective/efficient flying by plane to fish in other USA states, I should just bring a reel with no lines, and lures without any hooks inside my check in baggage, then buy them locally. After the fishing trip, ship whatever useful hooks or braided line back via USPS. Some travelers were forced to strip all of their braided lines before allowing to pass through inspection station. I heard the inspector, just before the departure gate, will not allow any fishing lines or sharp hooks included in our check in baggage, regardless of how much we plead them that they were for fishing purposes.

Packed my reels, lures, hooks and sinkers in my check on baggage and never had a problem. Buying stuff there is expensive if you can get it. Whats wrong with putting it in your check in baggage?

No issues here when flying to Hawaii, reels, rods, and fly's went on carry on. Fillet knife and gerber pliers went in the checked luggage

I stayed at a 4.5 star resort, food was clean and relatively fresh. A few guys fished from shore, I too thought it was NOT allowed, but I was wrong. Top water crank baits over reef beads can be fruitful, especially for barracuda. I would recommend using bomber baits, or other saltwater brands that use galvanized hooks, and 25-35 pound braid is plenty for the size of fish near shore. USE STEEL LITRE!

Guides for sure appreciate monetary compensation, hygienic products, or even tackle. Very humble people. A lot of fish target flash, and aggressive action on top water or shallow diving baits should produce if you locate a populated reef.

Packed my reels, lures, hooks and sinkers in my check on baggage and never had a problem. Buying stuff there is expensive if you can get it. Whats wrong with putting it in your check in baggage?

I was told by a friend who works customs to NOT pack fishing tackle in carry on. Hooks are perceived as a potential weapon and will be confiscated.

• 1 month later...

we got back from Cuba at 0530 Sunday. Great time at the resort. Fished from the beach one night, lost two lures to huge blow ups. 50lb braid was not strong enough, broke at the leader on the hook set or alternatively I suck at tying knots...not. glow in the dark plug is stuck in somethings yap and silver rapala is in anothers... we were booked for deep sea fishing, but got cancelled due to high winds on two days. Cashed in ticket and went mangrove fishing with my father in law. We caught small bonefish, snappers, puffer fish, maharas and used the mahara as bait for baracudas on the way back. No luck on the baracuda. very different experience, our guide rowing into the wind. We used his equipment which included shortened south bend rods(broken tips) and two very old shimano reels. bottom fishing with shrimp. then they cooked up our catch for us over wood fire grill. washing it down with rum and cokes... Saturday I had the experience of trolling for pelagic fish from a hobie cat! the resort staff knew I wanted to get out for fish and they had one of the nautical staff rig up his hobie cat and two rods...fun time getting soaked and laughing away with the captain...no fish to be had. unless you count the school of flying fish that jumped over the bow.

http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/lwcpld/slideshow/Cuba%202014

Love fishing the saltwater, I have rented charters in the Dominican and fished the surf in Cuba, I really liked fishing Cuba, the resort I stayed at had a bunch of rooms built in a lagoon, I had the first floor of one of these suites.... I was fishing right from my patio! The water was fairly shallow and u could easily see bottom, and there were some MASSIVE carp like fish swimming around... I caught a bunch of smaller fish in the 3-5 lb range..... Which fought like a pissed off pike lol, I am a fairly seasoned traveller and this is by far one of the best resorts in Cuba and you can fish from your hotel room! with food well above what passes for most resort in Cuba @ 4+ I will be returning for my 6th trip to this resort this upcoming winter;) Google Melia cayo coco. You won't be sorry

Archived