New To Fly Fishing Need Tips

gtgf

Well I'm new to this kind of fishing and I was wondering if you guys can tell some tips on casting and fighting fish etc... I am also looking for a new combo just a begginer one. I can cast but it's very sloppy not sure if the fly should hit the water when I'm in the middle of the cast or anything like that. Thanks gtgf

Well I'm new to this kind of fishing and I was wondering if you guys can tell some tips on casting and fighting fish etc... I am also looking for a new combo just a begginer one. I can cast but it's very sloppy not sure if the fly should hit the water when I'm in the middle of the cast or anything like that. Thanks gtgf

Your best money spent will be lessons or join a fly group with other fly fishers. Nobody can tell you over a keyboard what your doing right or wrong. One thing for sure is that if you are doing something wrong you could be wearing a hook in you face or worse an eye. If your still set on teaching yourself through videos or online tutorials take the hook off and tie on a piece of yarn. There is many places not knowing your location that could better assist you. You want to learn the right way....not anyone elses mistakes. If you need anymore help id be glad to point you in the right directions.

This past summer I got a casting lesson from Basil of the Trout Unlimited Niagara Chapter. I suggest getting involved with them if you can. Great bunch of guys and girls that really know their stuff. Plus you can help them with stream work and all kinds of volunteer stuff. This leads to a greater appreciation for nature too, which is a great bonus.

• 1 month later...

Best tip I have for beginner is the endlessly repeated term, 10 and 2. Imagine the rod is a clock hand. Other tip is to let the rod do the work, so often I see people try to throw the line out there or muscle it out. Really let the rod do the work, let it load up and shoot the line out there, muscling it will only cause bad technique and some sore shoulders by the end of the day

a good friend taught me the "hello its for you" like you are answering a phone--sounds silly but i never looked back and my cast is what dreams are made of now...ol ok maybe not but it shure made a difference to absorb some "un-earned" knowledge from a vet.

I picked up a cheap setup a couple years ago and spent about 20 hours just practicing on the water before I caught a fish. Patience is important when starting out and expect to be hooked at least a couple times. This is a great reason to pinch the barbs on your flies and this has the added benefit of causing less damage to fish.

One tip that I tried was setting up my phone to record a video of myself casting and then compared that video to ones found on youtube. I was able to figure out little things that I was doing wrong and focused on fixing issues with my cast.

When starting make mental notes to keep your wrist straight, accelerate then stop, and pay attention to where your rod starts and stops. I did try to practice on grass but preferred the tension that water put on my line.

And remember, its all about ACCURACY... accuracy accuracy accuracy. Achieve this first then worry about distance after.

only advice i can give you is do not assume you are doing it right--get on that road and you will be perfecting your flaws--get with someone that knows how to cast-you dont necessarily need to spend money on this initiative-there are plenty of class acts on the water that will take five minutes to show a young jedi the right path...just remember "hello its for you"....once you get the right casting motion you will actually know what the rod is for(you will start to feel a rod load up) most guys on the water i see are flopping thier flly around like a wet rat...once you get it right and feel it all come together --expect a feeling like no other on the water.

and remember on the dark side..everyone has an agenda of some sort so take everything with a grain of salt--don spend your life saving s on a rod that you were told is good--learn how to cast first and then appreciate which rod compliments you and vice versa,

Good advice schipster. The glasses and a hat are equally important, as is pinching your barbs.

Archived