Duty And Taxes Coming Into Canada

YoungYakker

What are the duty and tax rates for fishing kayaks and such coming into Canada. Does anyone know? I'm seeing stuff online saying 9.5% and 0%??

Buy local it will save you. And if you have any issues you won't have to cross border again for any warrantee. Contact outdoors oriented in st kitts

Duty is zero, if it's made in the US and almost all fishing yaks are.

Taxes are where you get pounded, you have to show a receipt and pay the HST at the border. This is on top of the New York sales tax you'd pay when you bought your boat.

Buying used in a private sale it can be worth the drive, but catch the agent in the wrong mood and they can assign some wildly inflated value to tax you on. Depends on how good a deal there is to be had, usually not worth it on kayaks now that most popular ones have a decent amount of dealers in ON.

Duty is zero, if it's made in the US and almost all fishing yaks are.

Taxes are where you get pounded, you have to show a receipt and pay the HST at the border. This is on top of the New York sales tax you'd pay when you bought your boat.

Buying used in a private sale it can be worth the drive, but catch the agent in the wrong mood and they can assign some wildly inflated value to tax you on. Depends on how good a deal there is to be had, usually not worth it on kayaks now that most popular ones have a decent amount of dealers in ON.

Don't think you get pounded on taxes,All you are doing is paying what it would have if product was bougt in Canada. Exchange kills you.

Don't think you get pounded on taxes,All you are doing is paying what it would have if product was bougt in Canada. Exchange kills you.

Well if you buy in Buffalo you'd have to pay 8percent sales tax, then be taxed HST again on the whole amount when you cross the border. Unless you find a screaming deal on a used boat you can't find in Ontario I haven't found a compelling reason to buy across the border, and I am shopping over there fairly regularly.

Well if you buy in Buffalo you'd have to pay 8percent sales tax, then be taxed HST again on the whole amount when you cross the border. Unless you find a screaming deal on a used boat you can't find in Ontario I haven't found a compelling reason to buy across the border, and I am shopping over there fairly regularly.

That and the fact the US dollar is 1.11 right now....so already paying 11% more buying in the US.

Archived