Robin

captnn

They'll eat berries and seeds from shrubs and trees. I have robins in my yard eating worms all the time but I've never seen them eat from my feeders either. I put a heater in my pond to keep it from freezing this winter and I had a steady supply of birds all winter.

Robins will find food along small running creeks ,ditches & bare patches of land that get the most sunshine . We used to see them anytime we went to Queenston where people got water from a spring fed source along the cliff side road . There was always some watercress growing there all winter .

The cam folks were taking more pics of an ARCTIC owl today near 4th Ave . They seem to be very happy here .....right at home ! Those robins like my red delicious apple tree ,especially when the apples are ready to pick .....a few pecks on each apple ,and off to another one ... I have been looking for them but haven't seen any yet .

What's a robin doing here ? Plowing snow?

Some of them get into the fermenting mountain ash berries in the fall and are very happy here all winter ...... :)

fishnhunt......nice shot of the robin !

How do you feed Robins apples? Do you simply throw apples on top of the snow , or do you cut them up and leave them on a board?

Cutting them in half makes it easier for them to "jab" their beaks into apples . They can jab my red delicious apples when ripe and don't bother going down to eat them , they just jab another one etc. They can clean my neighbour's small cherry tree in one day !

How do you feed Robins apples? Do you simply throw apples on top of the snow , or do you cut them up and leave them on a board?

Just like Smerchly said: I also cut them them up into halves or quarters...and just throw them on the ground. However, due to the lack of available food for them right now..they're eating the whole thing (except the skin). Been going through 2-3 apples a day. I've also noticed a number of other birds that are feeding on them...they've actually begun fighting over them.. Got a photo of this guy yesterday feeding on them as well.

409005458.jpg

Birds with heavy beaks like that mocking bird can eat up an apple in no time . I have about 3 bushels of red deli. apples in my unheated garage . They were placed into double Rubbermaid totes , sitting off the floor in my spare van seat & wrapped in tarps and heavy clothes .....just an experiment to see how they fare through the winter months . I will check them out in a few days when SPRING arrives . ........apple sauce anyone ? :unsure:

another bird showed up at the feeder today .......red wing black bird ! Nice to see , she is a few days early .......

While walking to the ice at Rennie I heard that familiar call of the red winged black bird ....got a distant shot of it as it sat in the top of a tall tree . Then I spotted a dead blue jay that looked like it just dropped dead ....no sign of trauma . Today , a big hawk caught a starling in the yard & shortly after a low flying turkey vulture was cruising by . I'm sure he saw me blink , as he kept on going west ...... :ph34r: Sure sign that old man winter is saying goodbye ....slowwwwwly

A nice healthy looking jay .......don't know why it died .....

SAM_3901.JPG

red wing black bird....

SAM_3900.JPG

Awesome sight ! I saw this video a while ago and I have seen this murmuration happen near the grape fields only a km. away ......but not to the same degree as this video . Maybe Alfred Hitchcock has seen this happen ....... :)

Very Cool..I have also witnessed this..but like Smerch said..not to this degree...Too bad about the Jay..could be a number of reasons for his demise?..Probably not hunger!..like the ducks..I've also seen a number of Red-Winged blackbirds last few days..and a number of Grackels..wondering if the birds rely on hours of daylight for migration rather than weather??

Archived