Chat Fly Fishing-Save Other Thread From Tangents And Hijacking

schnipster

instead of other thread getting hijacked as they so easily do i thought i would post a general chat thread-

hitting the water this weekend as i was telling daveC and and ccfly--i want to hit a few pike with some streamers that are calling my name..they we made on my vice and will hopefully yield some winners sunday...what you guys up to/.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeh your right. Lets see those flies? Lol. Not lots of open water thats fishable. Think its going to be pretty high and muddy. Do you spey or single hand? Id like to find some fly guys i can fish with so i can educate myself more. Bass are no problem but hoping to get some trout and pike as well. If you ever need company or share the ride let me know...just picked up a pontoon fishcat13 i can bring for drifting.

i am on the spey as well as single handed. i have yet to target bass and pike on a regular basis- i caught a few bass last year and really enjoyed it. also the fact that most rivers are so full of people has pushed me to find my space elsewhere--in my canoe hunting still water on the fly for instance...i have been tying tons of poppers and streamers for this new adventure on the fly.

I am however on the fly 100% percent...i have learned in my short journey that it isnt really a style of fishing or catching fish for me.. without sounding to poetic and profound here , it is more of a lifestyle. Like after the fly consumed me the passion became so strong that throwing hardware or drifting a bag of roe went from a fun weekend with the boys to a "this is not where i want to be:' kind of thing,

anywho we should get together, i live in markham but am willing to do what needs to be done to hang with some cool cats on the water.

thats the thing i was thinking GTA--i know that bluffers pak is a possible green light and maybe the mouth of a certain trib in my area.

Pike on the fly is my addiction.... more so then steelhead! Yes I said it lol

All the creek mouths on Lake Ontario are open but muddy as anything... I was out doing water sampling yesterday, if you wanted to make your way down this way the ice will be gone providing the weather co operates. With the strong in shore wind and recent melt the pack ice is gone in most areas on our shorelines.

Im working Sunday morning in Niagara Falls but will be off by 10 am, so if the sun is high and we have some warmth they should be up sunning in the estuaries.

Yeh theres some big pike at bluffers...ive seen them cruising the boat docks. I hear you on the drifting the roe bags...allthough i still do it, it has become the same old same old routine. I have a very nice float setup...and letting it go will be tough. But if i want to move on i think thats the direction i need to go. I care less about numbers of fish as well....if i catch i catch...if not oh well. Bass is all i caught on the spey so far and that was a blast.

spey is fun...but not my passion personally--single handers are more my thing i fish them from 3wt to 8wt---the pinning is a good way to catch alot of fish ..but the fly is something of an epiphony lol

i have a bunch of real nce streamers just for that particular fish....

i also hav wire leaders --oddly enough i have some in the 80lb range --its like a ski rope

I picked up a sweet deal on a 9wt. 9ft Hardy Uniqua last spring. I like that it is only 9 ft. I get excellent casting distance and I can still punch big bulky flies through the air and wind. I think if I was fishing a 10ft or longer I wouldnt have the same amount of power in the rod.

Some people say that the specialized lines are all b.s. There is some merrit to that because to my knowledge they all just have a slightly heavier taper towards the front, almost like a shooting head line or an idicator nymphing line. I normally fish an Intermediate Line its a rocket taper line. However if your casting big top water deer hair bugs on a floating line, I think the specialized lines shine. I own 4 or 5 different ones in various weights, compared to the standard weight forward lines they are amazing. While I might be able to hit a target with the weight forward line, I will do it effortlessly with a bass, pike or musky line. It is worth noting that the Scientific Anglers HeadStart lines are a little over weighted with an slightly more aggressive taper. (Aimed at turning the line over easier.) These lines are an excellent alternative to the species specific ones.

Josh, Bluffers park is in scarbourgh. Called the scarbourgh bluffs...not like we are giving away a secret spot. Lots of salmon fishing done there in the fall, but the lake and shore line in and around the boat docks and pier has some big pike cruising in there.You can google the Bluffs...i used to boat out of there for salmon years ago, before my ex stripped me of all my toys..lol. I would think in and around tbe Leslie street spit, as well as the Toronto islands would also be good fun. I know Blair used to post about his adventures over there. Ive seen huge bass and pike all along the harbourfront as well. Bit of a drive but lots to explore. I know the island would be a great day....even if the fishings slow theres always some kind of action...lol.

575806_10150841025241528_639635970_n.jpg

can't leave the Pan Fish out of this discussion. Always a great time on the 3wt. especially when you get that incidental smallie :)

or if anyone wants to swing flies down on the niagara, i can show you a few spots to swing a spey rod.

Interesting....you must be using a full sink tip are you? Safe place to stand in the water? I know guys do....but im not a risk taker if there is any chance of a slip and see you later...lol.

i use a full sink line, a little bit of a pain to cast, but if you just speed up the timing on your cast its not that big of a deal. Plus i like to take breaks and rest the drift every now and again, take in the scenery. I wouldn't say any place in the Niagara is "Safe" as rising water levels and fluctuating water patterns make it very unpredictable. the actual distance needed to wade into the water is very little in order to bring a proper D loop behind you. Certain spots in the whirlpool for instance you actually can cast parallel to the bank where you are standing and get a good swing. most of the fish i hook in the lower are towards the end of the drift either right before the strip or during the strip in.

i am getting reports that the immediate bay and harbor where i am going is open for a few bombers from the old 8 wt --so i will be there throwing some laundry at these pikes--might even spot a few browns-this place is known for them

i use a full sink line, a little bit of a pain to cast, but if you just speed up the timing on your cast its not that big of a deal. Plus i like to take breaks and rest the drift every now and again, take in the scenery. I wouldn't say any place in the Niagara is "Safe" as rising water levels and fluctuating water patterns make it very unpredictable. the actual distance needed to wade into the water is very little in order to bring a proper D loop behind you. Certain spots in the whirlpool for instance you actually can cast parallel to the bank where you are standing and get a good swing. most of the fish i hook in the lower are towards the end of the drift either right before the strip or during the strip in.

I will have to try that out with you Alex. I know there is a few spots in the corner left side pool that's possible, and maybe pebbly might have a spot or two. Just wont catch me anywhere near those rock shelfs with the deep drop offs. Im game for you to show me the way though. I can cast my spey left or right handed so as long as I have a little room Im good to go. I have a full set of Rio MOW tips as well as several full sink tips. Lets give it a go...let me know when your ready. Oh will you piggy back me up the hill...LOL

i am planning to ht from shore only---not ready for a swim water is cold as F.....but i will e there sunday if i dnt hit a pike by noon i am moving to the mouth of my home trib....for steel

How did you make out today? Must have been a little cool right on the lake...

wlle..the pike were not hitting---i did work on my double haul alot--feels fantastic to blast a streamer--the new rod is a streamer/popper cannon--later on i hit my local river--water was really high and couldnt see an inch--i went home and had a 3 hour nap....needless to say i enjoyed casting the new rod--otherwise i would have had better luck at a mandarin...

Archived