Chat Fly Fishing-Save Other Thread From Tangents And Hijacking

schnipster

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Least i know im not the only one finishing renos up...maybe the same guy who should have his man card revoked...lol. I have an east trib in mind but im sure it will be busy.

• 2 weeks later...

okay, i got a question you guys can answer. i be fishing a river here in alberta, the bow river. i want to target the trout here with my fly rod, the two methods i plan on fishing are indicator/nymph and stripping streamers. what are some rigging tips or fishing tips you guys got that will prove beneficial. il answer any questions as this is a pretty basic post.

To me Jordan, and this is just my opinion that indicator fishing to me is you may as well be float fishing. Least thats my take on it from what ive seen. I took up spey for that reason...i also found the with spey you dont require the same back casting space that alot of streams simply dont have with trees and rock walls. I would imagine the bow river has lots of room so swinging some wet flys might be fun. As far as lines and tips to get your fly down im not sure other than maybe a poly leader with some sink to it. I know your kind of limited to the size of fly and sink tip you can toss single hand...when all else fails pull out the float rod....lol. did i just say that? Lol.

"indicator" fishing can be done without the "bobber" learn to watch the end of your line--it is far more rewarding than watching the ole bobber dissapear.if you are in current you can dead drift nymphs and sub surface flies--if you are in still water you can strip streamers etc...both will work.the biggest worry on the single hander is not whether you can cast the fly--its like dave c said the room you have--keep in mind also that (if we are giving our opinions) fishing stillwater on the spey is like using the bible in your hotel room to start a fire..lol

True, you need some current for the spey and the places that i fish most often have current but little room for back casting. Having said that you can often wade out enough to allow for back casting. I guess fishing the states so often i see so many guys trying to use thier fly gear to float fish with....and when you mix them in with drifters it makes for ugly confrontations. One of the reasons to find water away from float guys is we need some space. I fish both, but prefer a challange on the fly. Jordan, i would take both setups and leave the door open to being able to fish all the conditions and if you have the room haul out your fly rod. Do some research on the area your fishing and see what flies are working and have the basics covered that locals have success with...btw...i jealous wish i could go...lol

i brought 3 types of reels with appropriate rods, fly pin and spin. i just kind of wanted to conquer fly fishing, so il probably just bring it rigged to strip streamers, and pair that with my pin for floating nymphs and egg patterns that the local shop recommended. i fished today for only about an hour, big or skunk, but thats about as much as i expected, headed back out tomorrow

first day after opener and still no posts...ouch--everyone have a good day?

I had a great day myself, however it was not on the fly rod. As you know fishing the east on opener with fly rod in hand is not going to be in your favour...lol. I fished with another member here and we hooked plenty of fish...lots of them still fresh run fish. There was no shortage of fish with most being hooked in the less than obvious spots under overhung trees and in the fast water tail outs and pockets. Beads and small bags worked great for us.

How was the notty...i hear its not a great spring river? My friend Graham Bristow guides it and tells me the early fall is good? We drifted the credit yesterday from Norval down in my pontoon boat...that was a blast....finally a way to escape the crowds. Hooked one really nice tank in the morning and lost it after a knot failure on my swivel. My brother was pumping them out on beads all day. Sad to see people pulling fish off the beds when they are sitting ducks. That really strikes me when i see that garbage....i do voice my opinion to them on it as well. So many fish and they have to resort to that nonsense!!!. Great first day with my drift boat though....i can see it getting tons of use.

i would like a drift boat but i mostly fish for brookies in the ditches---also i have a canoe for my bass and pike missions..i didnt fish the notty--it ws crappy as usual--i fished the pine, noisy and the mad rivers...then the duffings on sunday.

i am going sunday--found some nice brookie water--OH DAMN I JUST REALIZED THAT THIS IS NOT PM/ NO NAMING RIVERS..my bad

Archived