Chat Fly Fishing-Save Other Thread From Tangents And Hijacking

schnipster

awesome. glad she likes it--cool to have the family all in....i hit the lake this weekend, holy crap alot of pike --also A TON of bass man, cant avoid them they hit anything that youput in the water. dst in the canoe and watched them eat spinners off the top for hours ---unreal man. love fishing out of the canoe.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

i am full on the carp and bass train...the brookies will look pretty soon with less people on the small streams --all the goons will be prepping thier snaggin gear for the chinooks...then its steel time for me...yeah baby--we are heading to the salmon again on oct. just though i would post and pump the blood in here a bit...something new to read-my own post..yippeee

Been talking to a few members, things will pick up soon....its summer man, and people are busy with life. I will be prepping for chins, but it wont be snagging them. Do really well on cured skien early into the run. Did well on the fly with the Bass, and like yourself looking forward to the browns and steelies. Im hitting the Salmon River this year myself, as well as going hard to hook my first steelhead on the swing....bass have been too easy, so Im looking to commit this year. Wont be long now and the snagging, lining and marsh mellow topics will pop up....LOL oh, and the catch/release slash and grab roe grabbers and the oh your not treating that fish right threads...LOL That's when I want to pull what hair I have left out, and rip someones nose off...LOL. Fish ON man...hope to see you around?

Im practicing with the fly rod, so far im doing decent with my 7 wt. Been able to get bass and such while practise casting. Can get the fly to turn over fine and can shoot most of my line out. Just gotta get all the casting and technique into a muscle memory. Hopefully will be taking the fly rod to the cattaragus, 18 mile and other us tribs to get into my first steelie. See what this whole swinging flies thing is about. Still have plenty of learning to do when it comes to leaders, fly knots, ect. Let the learning process begin!

Swinging flies is awesome and a super intense way of catching steel. I find it hard to get the fish to bite though, so many factors involved; weight, size, color, speed of swing,etc. Last year I focused on only swinging and had moderate success, I think this year I'm going to nymph almost exclusively and see how it goes. Super pumped for fall to come.

I was gonna bring up nymphing, but its just a more difficult way to fish a presentation that I can do effortlessly with the pin. I will be trying the nymphing setup in the states as well. Hopefully connect with a few bullets. I understand you get less fish on the swing then the pin but im all about the build up to hookong the fish. Bring on the cold weather.

As explained to me...its all about the correct presentation.By pin fishing you are more or less presenting a perfect presentation. Have you ever fished a drift and hooked nothing, then adjusted your float slightly and bang "fish on". Your bait is natural and in the zone and happens to be what the fish is feeding on. Where swinging a fly you also want that natural presentation and your target is the ones that are agressively feeding....so obviously your catch ratio is going to be less, but the fish you do hook are going to hammer and run with your fly...too me im looking for that opportunity vs watching my float go down. A guy drifting beads or bags will always outfish a guy swinging a fly. But to me, after ive hooked a few fish it gets to be the same old dame old...trickung the fish into an agressive hit is what im looking for...and trying to perfect it and be consistant like guys like Craiger. I enjoy the casting and the challenge vs numbers of fish...if its quanity then obviously pin and youll hook more fish.

Great explination dave, il be trying tl connect on the swing primarily rather then nymphing, pinning is still new to me, only been fishing it for a year and a half. So I still enjoy seeing the bobber go down, im just looking to broaden my fishing skillset. Il be trying early run to find the agressive fish on the swing and will try it untill the really cold weather comes through. I would love to experiance that tug and run from a fish on the end of my swing. But will also try nymphing when it comes to burt as I know a few spots that will always produce a fish if I can get my line to the drift. Will be a cpld water season filled with lots of learning, lots of caught trees and hopefully a fish or two.

dave--october me and a buddy are heading to the salmon again--its a yearly thing--hotel cheap-one night--great times man--also the bass are one of my faves--i bought a new loop pike booster 9wt so it was inevitable i was going to stalk some predators...plus the rivers and crowds cometh--so first bass and pike them brookies and then steelie hell/heaven lol

My brother wants to try the salmon river this year as well...but hes a pinner. So we are hoping to go there as well. What hotel/ motel dive do you guys stay at? Thats all we want as well is something cheap....half the time we overnight theres no sleep anyway and half the places i prefer to sleep in my waders lol. Let me know what weekend your going maybe meet you there.

Still fairly new to fly fishing and I've been practicing as well with bass. I'm getting better casting lightflies, but the big bass streamers and whatnot could use some work. Trying stream trout with the fly rod later this week.

Good luck with it snaggy...I am not to sure about the single hand fly rods for casting larger flies. Some of the other guys might be able to help you out with that. Its worth taking one lesson or even a group lesson to be sure your setup properly and your using the right technique. Im fishing a two handed spey rod or switch rod at times, so its completely different than using a single hand. Schnipster would be better to advise you...he single hands. Casting big flies on a spey rod is a breeze....but its very very important to have the correct lines in order to do so. Sure is fun, once you get it down...keep at it and good luck with it !!

correct rod weight--and them timing man-- you gotta wait a little longer for the big lines to load up until that fly is completely behind you fully extended---they aint no load on the rod to propel the fly back in front of you without the loop collapsing and your fly hitting the water like a wet hair piece

i have been taming a 8wt flystik for bass and a 9wt LOOP pike booster rod coupled with SA titan taper line that will propel an old IBM laptop 60 yards without a haul.....trust when i say slow down and let the rod load up--when your fly hits he water far enough away that you end up fishing in another zone you will thank me.

JUST DONT DROP your rod on the back cast--drop it too low with that amount of line and a huge fly and you now have to defy gravity --fly grabs some twigs or grass and your rod is on KIJIJI 2 days later HAHAHAHAHA or your living weekends in CAMH HAHA

Archived