Turkey Season

Buckshot

I am praying this cold winter killed all the ticks. If it killed all the mosquitoes it would be a perfect turkey hunt but I know that won't happen.

I already have opening day booked off as usual and can't wait. As soon as it is warm enough they will breed and the Toms will display and come to the call. Usually nice sunny days are excellent to hear them gobble up a storm and it doesn't have to be really warm. I have a feeling we are suddenly going to see some nice warm weather.

I agree! The ground blind is going up this week but to conceal in the bush just sitting is going to take some good thinking about perfect spots to hide ! We ve had alot of years like this ....c'mon April seasonal temps !

With this weather the ticks should be minimal! Last year I had over 30 , but I spend alot if time in around the bush etc... Last years weather was a recipe for the perfect season for ticks! Tight cuffs and some carful walking will result in less "hitchers" ..... They are funny to stop n see hanging by one leg , waiting to find a home ! My remedy for removal is first the air compressor with a blow gun , then a "tick check" before shower .. (This part is best done by the wife! Wink wink )if I find some on me and if they haven't latched onto your skin yet it's a simple tweezer and in the toilet! If I find one who is or has began to venture into the skin I will try a lil heat under its ass quick but if it doesn't back out ill do the petroleum jelly truck and usually within a min or so it's started to back itself out! JMO !

With this weather the ticks should be minimal! Last year I had over 30 , but I spend alot if time in around the bush etc... Last years weather was a recipe for the perfect season for ticks! Tight cuffs and some carful walking will result in less "hitchers" ..... They are funny to stop n see hanging by one leg , waiting to find a home ! My remedy for removal is first the air compressor with a blow gun , then a "tick check" before shower .. (This part is best done by the wife! Wink wink )if I find some on me and if they haven't latched onto your skin yet it's a simple tweezer and in the toilet! If I find one who is or has began to venture into the skin I will try a lil heat under its ass quick but if it doesn't back out ill do the petroleum jelly truck and usually within a min or so it's started to back itself out, if not tweezers are ur best ,i use heavy ones to get a good chunk of skin with it to get all parts out !JMO

This will be my first turkey season and I'm getting pretty excited. I've secured a promising property in Haldimand and have been trying to do some scouting here in Niagara. Just picked up a few more brands of turkey ammo to test out at the range this weekend.

I have some strong American DEET/Permathrin to hopefully control any bugs that survived the cold, But have been considering picking up a thermacell to take care of any mosquitos, we'll see what the spring brings.

Be advised that you should not apply permathrin to your skin. It is poisonous applied that way. Apply it to your hunting clothes in a well ventilated area and let dry completely before wearing. I find one thorough application lasts most of the season.

Be advised that you should not apply permathrin to your skin. It is poisonous applied that way. Apply it to your hunting clothes in a well ventilated area and let dry completely before wearing. I find one thorough application lasts most of the season.

Thanks for the tip, that was my plan. Years ago I went to Costa Rica on a field course and they recommended permathrin applications for all our clothes. It worked wonders on all the tropical bugs hoping for similar results against the ticks.

Right on! Nice pics ! And as long as the temp starts up it will put them into the "mood" ...my experience with the bush bare they become a little less receptive to calls unless it's a hot bird! They rely on their keen eyesight to pick everything up ! Decoys may be a big factor for early season enticing ! I can't wait I'm itching... New " turkey thug" coming to so can't wait to see what it can do !

I saw some out in a field eating the other day. Seemed like a good size group of them.

This will be my first time hunting turkey and I can't wait for the season to open!!

That group will break up into seperate groups but hopefully they stay close by your feild! Start scouting try and find how they use ur land ie: potantial roost locations - look for droppings and feather to identify a roost tree jakes and toms have a j shaped poop! When opening morning comes try n get close enough to roost tree and when they fly down try n coax em into range ! It's not as easy as it sounds and remember that turkeys are very Smart! Wicked vision so be very still and find a big enough tree to sit against that will cover your entire back - if they silhouette you , your toast!

• 2 weeks later...

Great advice Buckshot.

A couple more tips:

- if trying to call the gobbler down from a roost tree, 2 or 3 soft calls is far better than lots of calling.

That lets the gobbler know where you are, but doesn't seem to bother any boss hen he's with. Aggressive calling seems to just make the boss hen lead the other hens away from you, and he will follow them.

- have your gun up & ready - either propped on a knee or a shooting stick/limb. Then all you have to do is SLOWLY move it to line up your shot.

ANY excess motion in trying to get your gun up for a shot will scare him off!

Remember, if you don't move they can be very stupid. I've had hens step over my legs when I have them stretched out on the ground while sitting against a big tree.

I once had a hen spend 5 minutes trying to peck the red fluorescent front bead off my shotgun barrel!

The best is when you set up under a tree without knowing there is a Gobbler or Jake roosting above your set up..and the first call you let out is followed by an instant gobble 15-20ft above your head..and scares the S#%T! out of you...

Spent some time at the range this morning testing out some ammo. My Remington 870 liked Winchester Supreme 3" #5 and Federal #6 with Flight Control about the same at 25 yards, and the federals outshot the winchesters as the distance increased.

Also did some scouting on Friday and found lots of good sign and heard some gobbling the next woodlot over. Getting pretty excited!

I love the federals !

Me too, I've had good luck with Federal Sabot Slugs so I was hoping for similar results. I also tried some of the other cheaper brands that unfortunately didn't work very well.

Just need to find a zip tie or some string for my tag and I'm all set for Saturday. Wish I could get out on Friday but I just started a new job and will have to be a weekend warrior for the next little while.

Archived