Wilderness Systems Talk

YoungYakker

I just picked up a wilderness systems tarpon 120 angler and CANNOT wait until the season starts up. This beast of a boat has everything an angler needs and wants. Anyone have any thoughts or tips they want to share about these boats, feel free. I am sure I am not the only one who needs some tips for a new kayak fisherman.

I've had the tarpon 100 for a few years now and I can say honestly that it was the best purchase of my life. It isn't perfect, but I love it anyways.

A few things I might consider doing to it if I was you; add a rudder if it doesn't already, throw a bunch of Scotty mounts all over it and get a good tackle crate. They make a huge difference. I have the jumbo crate from precision pack and it's perfect for storing all my crap. Another thing to consider is what type of paddle you'll need.

Do you plan on doing a lot of trolling or are you more of a casting style angler? I prefer to cast and move slowly so I have a fairly short shaft with big blades (white water paddle ) for quick and precise adjustments. If you troll or plan to travel long distances, you'll want something longer with narrower blades that cut through the water better.

So many things you can do to rig a kayak. Have fun and see you on the water.

I could see myself casting and trolling, who knows. I bought a longer paddle because it suits my height and my kayak width. Its called the bending branches scout. It has a snag reliever on the paddle and a measuring tape along the body. I have a big crate for all my crap too haha. Ive got all sorts of accessories to put on but I am going to go out a few times and see what I really need before drilling holes.

When you rig it up you should consider the slide tracks that are out there instead of drilling a bunch holes for base mounts. Scotty and YakAttack both sell them.

Great products with tons of versatility for all yaks.

http://www.scottypaddlesports.com/kayak-fishing-equipment-accessories/rod_holder_mounts/TrackAdapters.html#gearheadtrackadapter

http://www.yakattack.us/GT90_08_1PK_p/gt90-08-1pk.htm

Anyone know of any unique features about the tarpon 120 that I should know of? I took a good look at the kayak and noticed a few things I was unsure of how to use.

• 2 months later...

Was on my tarpon 120 for 6 hours yesterday fishing catfish and carp in Charles Daley Park / 15 Mile Creek. I lasted 6 hours in 2-3 different positions. So if anyone reading this who is deciding to buy a fishing kayak, in terms of comfort this boat is perfect. I wasn't uncomfortable, I wasn't blasted with a sore back the next day or anything.

@IhasFish/// The tarpon 120 has all kinds of bungee locations, small divets, screw on the body, little pockets, little things that interest me and I have no idea what they are for. I just realized last week that it has rudder capabilities.

• 4 weeks later...

You need get extra gel seat cushion for your tarpon.

I used Commander 120, beside my Jackson Coosa.

The seat come with Commander 120 is air seat, very comfortable, but after long hours still feel sore on the ash (sorry !) due sitting, so I get my self the gel seat cushion, is more better, also Commander have captain seat, where you can change your seat position.

Love it with that style seat. Also love to used Coosa due the seat design is better.

The rigging, also agree with river guide, because commander already have track install all over the kayak, so I just need to get other stuff to attach on the track.

And I did DIY for small plate tray for fish finder and transducer arm.

Archived